8x16x8flwr, 14x5x8veg, 3m90ed Orcafilm/Orcatape, BlackDog PHYTOMAX2, lightrail 5, no heat signature

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bigdaddy76, Apr 11, 2020.

1. I just bought 3 Black Dog PHYTOMAX-2 1000 LED lights. To good of a deal to pass up, $1500/each out the door w/warranty. I bought them out or I’d have bought 4. From all of my research, you can’t really buy a better light.
    I’m in the middle of designing my rooms and deciding what gear to use. My flower room will be 10x18. That’ll give 2, 6x6 gardens, with a Black Dog PHYTOMAX-2 1000, on each 6x6 garden. That should give me room to move around and for equipment. Not sure what size veg room should I build? I’d like to keep the mothers and next batch, in there. I’ll put in larger pots, in the flower room, as long as it doesn’t mess up my 2 month cycle, I’m shooting for. Will use my Black Dog PHYTOMAX-2 1000 and probably add a Black Dog PHYTOMAX-2 800 to it too, if needed.
    I’m framing everything out of wood. It’ll be insulated, sheeted with Plywood, then foam reflective panels will go over that, with seams taped with foil tape. Shouldn’t be to bad to make air tight, as long as I build the door properly. Gives me something to do in quarantine. Lol
    Probably should of led with this, but this is my first real grow set up, besides doing a few plants in a closet, back in the day. I’ll spend what it takes to do it right and want commercial quality gear, to create and keep the optimal environment, with minimal hassle. Also want Co2 in it. Basically want every automated, if possible.
    I’d love to hear some input and advice from people who can led me down the right path. I realize that gear is subjective and how to set room up is too. But I’m a sponge, wanting to soak up all the knowledge, I can and am not afraid of doing research.
    Would like to find commercial quality intake/exhaust fans, filters, dehumidifier and electric controllers. However, I’d like to stay away from the point of diminishing returns, if possible. Just want top quality gear, then it can NEVER be an excuse and keeps me away from wanting to keep up grading, thinking the equipment will get me more yield! Figure it’s cheaper to do it right the first time!
    I plan on keeping this journal, from this point to my first harvest. I hope people will be interested and help me out along the way. I’ll definitely pay it forward!

2. I've been researching LED grow lights also and agree that these are tops. Good Luck. I look forward to the updates.

3. #3 Bigdaddy76, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Here are the strains I just ordered!
    Apex F-1
    Ethos
    •Mandarin Cookies x Lilac Diesel Bx3
    * THC: 24-28%
    * TOTAL CANNABINOIDS: 30%+
    * YIELD: Beast mode!
    * FLOWERING TIME: 9 Weeks
    Ethos Genetics — E T H O S
    Glue RBx3
    Ethos
    • THC: 25%+
    • INDOOR YIELD: 1.1-1.5 g/watt
    • GG4 x (Ethos Kush IBL x GG4) x GG4
    • 50-60 days
    Age Verification – Greybeard Seed Bank
    Candy Store
    Ethos
    •Lemon Berry Candy OG x Ethos Cookies #16
    • Yield: Beast!
    • Flowering time: 8-9 weeks
    Banana Hammock RBX 1
    Ethos
    • Tested At: 22-25% THC
    • Yield: 600-800 g/m sq2
    • Days Flower: 55-60
    • GRAPE GOD x MANDARIN SUNSET
    White Widow x Big Bud
    Female Seeds
    •50 days
    •Hybrid
    Dynamo Hum
    Grey Beard Private Reserve
    • XL yield
    Glueberry Wifi
    Grey Beard Private Reserve
    •XL yielding
    •20%thc
    •Hybrid
    Snow Cane
    Twenty20 Mendocino
    •Sour Snow x Mimosa
    You are being redirected...
    Hoping these will be great genes to start with!

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Bigdaddy76, Apr 16, 2020
    Ok I triple posted! Lol

5. I double posted and this is getting rid of it

6. Inkbird as a temp/humidity controller, love it, high amperage and wattage capability, big red led reading screen and easily programmable.
    Also love my Cloudline t6's, clean, sturdy, mechanically silent, efficient, and 10 different speeds + various program options. Moves so much air..and really just gives me that sense of quality.
    Your space is huge, and I'm 4x4 so grain of salt. Not industrial commercial grower or whatever either. Just trying to not be robbed of all my money for overpriced shweed but I like getting quality equipment too :).
    Always hear and see poeple with Titan light/co2 controllers. I dont co2 so I'm not personally familiar. Grow my plants inside a tent, inside a room that houses 5 poeple. Enough co2 as it is I'm guessing lol.
    GlHf! Subbed

Sent from my SM-A102U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have 2 flower rooms and a veg room. All are about 12x12 give or take, ones longer and not as wide.. I guess I could measure em lol

Are you putting a door into each room from outside space or connecting rooms with a door?
    Either way, make sure to have doors swing out..or if one room is connected to next, use a pocket door..

Your lights sound good, I have opportunity to get gavitas on a cheap, but I'm still running HID.
    I got 4k in each flower room and 2k in the veg..the veg is mainly t5, but I do have a 1k halide if needed.
    My fans are the Max Can 10". I think they are like 1200 cfm, they move a lot of air, a little noisy but I have mine on dimmers so noise gets a little lower.
    Can't help ya with the co2 cause I'm not using it and not sure how effective it is with LED.
    All 3 of my rooms vent out to a lung room, it's a few hundred sq ft. I have a window ac unit that is mounted in garage, and built into a wooden box..wooden box has ducts to all 3 rooms if I need the ac. The big fans will draw it in.

I rarely run seeds, 99% of my grows are from clones. I run a 60 site ez cloner and it keeps me filled up and then some. Two weeks on machine is all I need and I can run soil or hydro at that point. Currently running soil, but did run hydro a while ago.
    I am firm believer in less is more. I just yesterday put a thermometer into my rooms and it's only in 1.
    I don't test stuff, I don't check pH, I let plant and soil tell me what it needs.
    I'm 3 weeks or so from harvest, only running 5k of the 10k cause I just startwd new grow in November and didn't plan it..25 plants and I'll be picking about 10 lbs of grade A with a lot of 3-5 gram buds.

Everyone's space is different, good luck with yours!

8. I’ll defiantly research what you suggested. Thank you l.

9. #9 Bigdaddy76, Apr 16, 2020
    If I go room to room, I was going to use a sliding glass door and black out the glass. I’m in contractor and realize having a door swing in would invade my grow space. I just might make 2 separate doors and not have them connected by a door. I’m going to start framing my room this weekend. I had to rent a 40y dumpster to clean a huge shop up, I’m going to use. I’ll be finished with that on Friday.
    I’ll have a lung room too. Everything will be vented and cooled in there. After my first grow everything will be clones too. I have to find my good genetics first. Thanks for the input.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 Bigdaddy76, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Well, I ended up buying the majority of my gear yesterday. For my flower room I bought: 8”x40” Can-Lite Filter, 8” Hurricane fan for exhaust, 4” Hurricane fan for intake, Titan Saturn 5 Controller (might return it for a Titan Saturn 6 to give better control over Co2), a titan Co2 regular (probably will return for a burner) and some cheaper light timers. I can’t buy the bad boy timers because I cannot run any 220v, let alone 2 @220v. Then picked up my 3 Black Dog 1000’s. Power is my on really limitation, but I have enough to do what I want because 2 Black Dog 1000’s can safely run off of 110v 30A. For my veg room I picked up a Hurricane 6” fan, Titan Saturn 5 and a Sun Blaze 48” (for growing seeds and cuts. That’ll go with my Black Dog 1000 and Black Dog 600 or 800 (haven’t decided yet). Now need to find a humidifier and AC if needed. If have to buy ac I’ll most likely get a slit unit, so I can have AC in both rooms plus my lung room, where everything will be getting vented into. I’m sure that AC would take 220 and I might be able to get from my house but absolutely not from my shop, where rooms are. It’ll just depend on how far the separate AC units can go from the main unit. Might have to run one 220 from house, to make work. The place even had a smoking deal on a commercial heat press, I couldn’t pass up! So I’ll be ready to make 5 star concentrate, pressing the bubble hash I’ll make. My brother in law makes moonshine, so I’ll also make Ethanol extract too, since ethanol is free to me.

11. After talking to the Black Dog rep, I’ll be changing garden size to 2, 5x5 footprints to stay in the sweet spot of the light. Advertising says it’ll do a 6.5”x6.5” footprint but that’s not in the sweet spot for the light. So now I’ll adjust room size accordingly.

12. Sup boss, I feel sooo bad I just now saw this and read a bit through it. I wish I would have caught you sooner to try to help advise you in your journey. Sounds like you’re putting a decent grow together and I would have loved to see you with better lighting as opposed to the discontinued black dog line. Those lights were the bees knees when purple light LED was the best LED option. Now, I’m afraid to say and upset you, but they’re shit. I was checking out the par maps and was instantly confused as to the appeal, then remembered some of the comparable lights from its hay day and notes these were some of the better ones. And shame on the rep for not telling you why they’ve been discontinued. If you decide to upgrade down the road, shoot me a pm or make a thread and tag me. I’m no expert by any means, but there’s specs on equipment like lights, that can guide us to making better more informed decisions. The key to growing in a larger area is light spread. Creating that light canopy so all of your plants can benefit, not just the plant directly under the light. I’m a fan of more lights, specifically, having light across my whole floor... more coverage for a greater yield. I know we’re all confident in the decision ms we make and the equipment we purchase, but hearing you spent $3500 on outdated and discontinued light tech hurted me. Hurted me bad, like, no one with experience chimed in to try to provide guidance? But at the same time, your opener definitely indicated you were already sold on the BD lights so mayhaps ppl didn’t care to go up against someone’s determination when they seemed content with their decision. I see with your plans your looking at around 500ppfd as an average. Of course thats with the spike reading directly under and the decline as the footprint diminishes.... man look, long story short, you have half of the optimal ppfd with those lights in your footprint. For $3500 those Black Dog guys could only get you half lit, and that bothers me. Anyway, if anything I’m saying makes sense, holla.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. When we’re the Phytomax2 1000’s discontented? I have done hours upon hours of research, reading everything available online and never saw anything about them being discontinued. I know the previous model was discontinued and weren’t very good but it’s news to me about the Phytomax2. $4500 not $3500. $1500/light which was cheaper then cost. The store I got them from got stuck with them because they were bought on a stolen credit card.

14. What size wire did you run to use a 30 amp breaker? Hopefully much larger than 12/2

15. unfortunately, I agree with the above poster. If you’re stuck with them, throw them all into flower room and get som veg lighting. Black Dog is great tech compared to other blurples, but pales in comparison to today’s modern white light LEDs with lm301h diodes

16. Find the Best LED Grow Lights for 2015 Obviously 5 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Repeat post

18. 16/2, just kidding.10/2

• Like Like x 1
  19. So what’s best veg light? It that’s actually true, I can use my 3 Phytomax 1000’s in flower room and buy what I need for veg. My room is getting framed this week so my room plans aren’t set in stone yet.

20. if you go with lights such as HLG or Invisible Sun, with LM301h diodes, can veg with 20-25 watts per sf. If you are going to blurple, 40 watts per sf and not ideal spectrum. Fluorescent is about same but has great blue light in 6500k. If it were me, I would get the needed wattage of blue spec from HLG in a few smaller lights to spread throughout the tent