72 hours to end the war on drugs!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by weedisthebest, May 31, 2011.

1. In 72 hours an eminent group of world leaders will call on the UN to end the devastating and failed war on drugs. Only a massive citizens movement will turn their appeal into urgent action. Sign the urgent petition now!

Avaaz - 72 hours to End the War on Drugs

Please click through and sign :hello:

2. Done as well.

3. There has been multiple threads on this already. Not that I care about double posting, as it is for a good cause, but what bothers me more is why this isnt being publicized more or getting more attention. I know that they are legitly trying to get 500,000 people, by weeding out fake names and repeat entries, but I fear that this issue will just get tossed aside, 500,000 people worldwide is not a whole lot.

4. Im not sure what this will really do. What power does the UN have in the US drug laws? Please answer I. will sign it but I don't see the significance.

5. World's Most Senseless War, after Iraq & Afghanistan.

6. is this a real petition? its getting pretty close to 500 000

7. seems like a scam to me. half a million people aint shit.

8. Use fake name and email.

The whole thing is symbolic and will not render any value whatsoever as far as the useless UN is concerned.

Signed

Nu Eht Kcuf

9. What i dont understand is what this will mean. where will it be legal? it cant possibly affect the US can it?

10. From the site; when we reach 1/2 million, it will be personally delivered to world leaders by the global commission.

Legal? Depends on which drug is up for debate. Will be an individual case by case per each country.

I highly doubt it. Will be political-cosmetic-promises that will not reach the field.

The UN is the biggest and most useless organization ever invented.

I called for a petition to rename the UN to UNFAIR.

11. #12 RongBip, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
    All we can do is hope that someone with some rationality discusses this with them.

and yes, sign this if you havent yet.

12. Oooo Sooo excited! Didn't know this was going down. 447,850 / 500,000 signs. :) I did my par.t

13. There's nothing listed on the UN website about any upcoming meetings for world leaders.

Anyone knows the date they will meet?

14. My question wasnt really answered though. from all ive heard the UN is a pointless waste of time and money. what will happen if all goes well? i dont know much about the UN's power

15. The UN does not have any power.

The power is in the hand of the countries that can VETO any decision in the UN; aka "UN SECURITY COUNCIL Power of Veto"; aka The Top 5.

China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States.

No matter the support for any legal draft, one of these country can veto it and it's dead.

I can't find any information about this so-called WORLD LEADER meeting at the UN.

The petition website was setup on May 25, 2011, the 72 hours was ALREADY up 3 days ago, which why I asked, on which date they were supposed to meet?

16. 500,000 in 72 hours is about 6,944 people per hour, which is about 115 people every minute.

In 2006, Google had logged 400 million unique hits in a day, that's 400,000,000/24, which is 16,666,666 people per hour, which is 277,777 people per minute, or 4,629 people per second. Multiply those #'s by 3, and you're looking at a google to 72 hour petition ratio of 2,400:1 respectively.

They would need a LOT more than 1/2 a million for any sort of recognition

17. I have searched many sites including the UN summits and events page and there's no such meeting. Like I said above, 72 hours passed 3 days ago.

18. Ahh. So your saying they can end the war everywhere? (aka legalize/decriminalize) as long as one of the top 5 dont veto it? In that case i shouldnt have gotten excited over this lol. the US would never let that happen.

19. actually when i viewed the petition yesterday it said nothing about 72 hours, although now that it has appeared i'm guessing that's the length of time remaining for which the petition will be shown for.