7-year-old girl killed in Detroit police raid

Discussion in 'General' started by ORGrown, May 17, 2010.

1. My psychology class is beside one of the rooms where they train police officers, and I can personally tell you that most of them are egotistical assholes who crave some kind of power but don't feel like being in school for longer than 6 months. Not trying to generalize, but that's my opinion from knowing a lot.

With that said, it doesn't take much to become a police officer. Shit like this proves that they should be far more trained than they are.

2. I just saw a story about this on t.v. Soooo sad.

3. The fuck...?? This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Arizona law, and the Arizona law has absolutely NOTHING to do with this shooting. Cops have always been able to demand you prove your citizenship when you're stopped for being suspected of committing a crime. The goddamn AZ law doesn't change any of that, and in fact is worded so that police CAN'T just ask anybody they see anywhere for proof citizenship. Ever get pulled over and asked for an ID/DL? Do you throw a hissy fit when they ask? No? Why not? You're being DEMANDED to show proof of your identification (which shows proof of citizenship, since illegal immigrants can't get drivers licenses). Why is it ok for them to ask you and not ok to ask somebody else who just so happens to be in AZ and gets pulled over for something?

If you're going to form an opinion on a law, please read the damn law first. :rolleyes:

[/side rant]

4. No cop, ever, EVER, would go into a place suspected of harboring a suspected murderer with his gun safety on. It's sad the girl was killed and the cops should be disciplined, but it's ridiculous to expect cops to put their lives in even more danger than they already do.

5. I think the problem here though is that the cops could have done quite a bit more to protect the civilians and the girl, while not endangering the police officers any more than they already where. Yes, it would be expected for the cop to have his safety off, but he is still in control of the trigger being pulled.

6. I'm not disagreeing with that, obviously the cops fucked this one up. I just disagreed that having the safety on would be a smart idea. I bet if the cops DID have their safeties on, the girl didn't get shot but instead a cop did, most people here would be like :hello: and still bitch about the cops looking for a suspected murderer :confused_2:

7. Agreed

8. Word. Everyone thinks it's alright to be forced into buying healthcare, but as soon as we are required to carry proof of citizenship a shitstorm starts

9. Wouldn't the burden of knowing he fatally shot and killed a seven year old girl by accident be punishment enough?

If it were accidental of course, as reproachable as I find the Police I hardly believe that the officer in question knowingly killed that little girl in cold blood.

10. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWxAnjNVBt8"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

It's sad to hear that a young girl lost her life because police can't manage their shit. Yes, they're going to arrest someone who was a suspected murderer, which means they should be on their toes and have to make split second decisions.
    However, are the differences between a grown adult male and a 7 year old girl not completely obvious? I think it'd be pretty easy to notice within a 0.1 second observation. It really disgusts me that at the worst this pig will lose his job and maybe have to give an apology; if any of us had killed someone without a badge we'd be fucked.

11. it just came out today the cops were lying their asses off.
    im shocked:mad:

12. Do you have a source on this? I really want to hear about this.. :mad:

13. i just saw it on the news that their story didnt match up or something but i'll hit up google for ya
    Atty: Video shows police fired into Detroit home - Yahoo! News

"The videotape shows clearly that the assistant police chief and the officers on the scene are engaging in an intentional cover up of the events,"

14. Wow. Just wow.

I hope A&E makes copies of this tape before they hand it over to the police for "examination," so the tape isn't "lost."

15. Well that's damning.

16. I'm not suggesting these two incidences are related. I'm citing it as an example of issues within the system that should be fixed before more power is given to police.

state cops are not able to require proof of citizenship. Identification, yes. Not citizenship. this law means they can require birth certificates, social security cards, and other documents most citizens don't carry around with them, and shouldn't be required to.

the biggest issue here is discrimination. Of course Latino citizens and those who look foreign are going to be questioned more often. And it's ridiculous that any citizen of the United States should be subjected to repeated questioning just because they come from a certain culture.

I have read it. just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm stupid.

17. Agreed. I am a mother, and this breaks my heart. That officer should be fired, WITHOUT PAY, and should NOT be a part of any law enforcement agency from this point on. He has proved that he is incapable of properly doing his job, and at a child's expense. How incredibly disgusting.

18. I repeat, FUCK THE POLICE.

19. it's getting harder and harder to defend police these days. RIP to the little girls and my condolences to the families. Crime is gettin worse and police are gettin more aggressive. We need a real change in our governrment.

20. While yes, that burden would be terrible to bear, and I doubt that he intended on shooting her that day, if he would have acted properly in the situation, this girls life would have been saved. He obviously mishandled his weapon, otherwise it would have not gone off while pointed at a 7 year old girls neck.

Also, there is supposedly a video of this raid shot by A&E's film crew for "The First 48". They had been following Detroit police's homicide detectives, and rumor has it they were there for the raid.

Link to the full article