Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

60's Hippie weed?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by cotir2005, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Yeah I pretty much ignored those pictures even when I first say them many years ago. 'High Times' wasn't always a very well done magazine but it was all we had for years.

Bad photography of not so well handled buds, but the strains were all true and some of those strains are STILL some of the most potent smoke in the world.

2. I can vouch for 30 years ago, 1979.... Lbs for $100 & OZ's for $10 You get what you get
    then female buds can along for $35/oz Mostly Sinsemellia (sp?) Then there was a period of buds with seeds, we were calling Con Simillia ( with seeds) $30oz
    A few years later we were getting shipments from CA of Skunk,$free from friends The Skunk was deadly, severe couch lock & we lost the herb for months because we were too stoned to remember where we put it.

I know that dirt weed from back then is still around, but there is a higher availability of good strains now.

3. if my son says that too me ill slap the shit out of him

4. Exactly. That's what I've said every time one of these threads pops up, and there have been several.

The weed today is not more potent. More of the potent stuff is readily available is all. There was a lot more of what people today would call mids or regs back then, but the high end stuff was around, cheap, and really really good.

I think some of the kiddies who keep repeating the Government mantra that it's so much more potent today (pure propaganda that so many sadly buy into) are just trying to make themselves feel better over the fact that they pay such outrageously high prices these days, courtesy of Prohibition.

5. I'm not an old-timer but some of you kids just don't know what your talking about. Misinformation and possible lack of experience, there were strains than that were better then most of the strains now. You know the legendary names? They're legendary for a reason.

Try to debate that and you'll get ripped to shreds by your's truly.

6. yeah man. they'll be like, "wtf, you can see green under those trichoms... how could they live with themselves?"

man, that already happened. in my mind, south park animation style

7. So true. You would not believe the advancements in growing technology within the last two years alone.

8. End thread ^

For the people who couldn't think of this on their own, Haze was created in the 60s, breeders would kill for pure Haze genetics and most of you couldn't handle it.

9. #69 chronicman00, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009
    i once saw a pic from the 70's of some buds and it was chronic as fuck. you probably couldnt tell the difference if you put it next to buds of this time. they had chronic weed but there wasnt much of it like there is now it was usually mids to high mids.

I would pay a lot of money to smoke some REAL panama red or acapulco gold.

especially the panama red

edit: also I wanted to add that its stupid when people are like "OMG SOO MANY TECHNICHAL ADVANCES ITS SOO CRAZY HIPPIES DONT KNOW HOW TO GROW". people have been growing buds for thousands of years, they know what theyre doing man. it just loooks shitty cuz most of it was outdoor which makes the buds kind of airy sometimes

10. for sure, i think old school growers got this on lock hence the name

11. #71 anarchyreigns, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009

Your opinion is meaningless because it's not based in anything.

12. Yeah.

13. i guarentee that there are some dank shit in the 70's... just because that shit looks bad doesnt mean it all was im sure some bud they had could knock alot of people on here on their ass. (just not the one's pictured because those did look like shit haha)

14. wow thank god im smoking some dank strawberry kush and not that schwag :eek:

15. nah u reading too much into the length of my reply...

it was his tone and wording that displayed a lack of respect, be real...ppl. feel like just b/c its the internet they can be cool and disrespectful...
    im not a etiquette nazi, but i aint gon sit back and act like that shit is "cool" to be like "it looks like shit, probably is shit,....get the fuck outta here, im only 23, but that young disrespectful shit is dumb as hell, u'll be old sumday, sum1 will talk 2 u with that same disregard...the movement deserves respect, and the same ppl that had a hand n killing it, are killing us...softly of course.

its just real...wow, being loose lipped with a theoretical old person is cool...?
    i dont know you, nor you me, but i think alot of ppl are misinformed and misunderstand the 60's movements in that era...culture,lifestyle,politically...

but watever, some of those buds were ok looking, but alot looked like swag but who knows some looks can be deceiving....

16. plants, like humans must evolve to survive.

Also cannabis has been subject to many different ways of growing for the sole purpose of increasing thc potential.

thank god, id hate to smoke those buds hah

17. That's exactly what you kids don't understand. Cannabis has been bred for potency for many many centuries. There's been no magical evolution over the past 30 or 40 years.

There has been no great increase in potency over the past 30+ years. There probably hasn't been in the past hundred or even more years. There has just been an increase in people growing the top end stuff. As a breeder and grower I think I'm a bit more qualified to say that than 90% of the kids posting in this thread.

Strains like the Thai Sativas, Hindu Kush, Hash Plant, etc. have been around for centuries or even millenia. The biggest change in the past 50 years has been larger yields and plants better suited to indoor growth. PERIOD.

I'm done repeating myself. Y'all are free to delude yourselves and buy into the Government myths if you want to.

18. Agreed. I don't know who anyone is kidding trying to say that is even remotely "dank" weed.

Is there even bud in it or just stringy leaves?? :confused:

19. Exactly OSG. Me, having been directly involved in many breeding projects over the decades, as well as grown it for 30 yrs know. It is the same myth people have with Holland being the great breeding paradise of the world and being the creator of the greatest strains...hogwash!!! Holland breeders had shit for genetics prior to 1984, and many of the true lines now used to create many of their inferior strains were first bred, grown, and evolved in the US. I grew Skunk #1 in 1980, and many of these so-called schwag were the true inbred lines which created the foundation for breeders to improve upon cannabis.

Different growing techniques do not make cannabis more potent; potency is in the genetic make-up, not in how it is grown. That is the true myth right there.

Strains like Thai, Oaxacan Mexican, Acapulco Gold, Santa Marta Columbian, these were all well know to have high teens and low 20 THC contents. Do you know out of all the strains offered today how many have THC ratios over 15%; less than 1%, with over 20% THC, less than .5%. Not much different than 30 yrs ago, Hawiian Puna was rated at 23%, other Hawiian strains even higher, Thai was right up there with high teen and low 20's in THC, so there is not much difference today other than it is more available now than it was then due to many commercial growers switching to more profitable drugs like cocaine and herion. Mexico is now trying to evolved itself back into the cannabis trade, the number of commercial grows busted on the West Coast and Northwest are a prefect sign of this for cannabis has now become a profitable drug once again.

Those of you that did not grow up in those times, have not grown, do not have experience with lineages and breeding just do not understand. Of course you are all going to talk shit and disrespect my knowledge and experience, that is what the new generation is all about, that is why cannabis is now taking a turn for the worse, rather than improving. Inferior geentics, feminised seeds tainting the gene pools of otherwise stable true lines, etc...

I have been involved in many projects since the mid 80's, an internship at SSSC was one of them. So for those that want to condemn the very strain which were the foundation of breeding truly great true line strains, or suggest mythical info like it evolved and became more potent, well you just need to read and educate yourself more.

I'm done with repeating myself as well. Delusions are what is leading to the dregration of great true lines strains.

less

20. duuuuuude, what about g-13 braahhh?

kidding, good post and I agree most of the new strains are probably just cross breeds of older strains, which turns into another cross breed, etc. etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.