600 HPS for vegetative stage

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rahutiheh, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Can you please help me with a question? I have a small space, about 2' X 5' where I grow clones under a 4' long double tube fluorescent light. They excel here for 6 weeks. While they are growing and vegging I have another group under a 600 watt HPS light with super cooling hood to flower. The sensitive spot is moving the clones out from under the tube lights and under the 600 watts. I need them to veg a bit longer, two weeks, to be able to take clones from them and start the process again. When I did this last session the clones grew super tall, very quickly, under the 600 watt HPS and didn't branch making tall spindly plants. But, I also transplanted them into larger pots at about the same time and reused the soil from the previous plants. They not only grew tall and spindly but got very sick. (I've since purchases Roots Organic Potting Mix and will never reuse soil again) I want to prevent my next batch of clones having any stress and need to know if it's safe to move them over to the HPS light to veg a while longer or would it be better to change the light to an MH or use the same double tube fluorescent until I'm ready for them to flower? Thank you so much.

2. Number one do not reuse soil. That is probably the cause of your plants getting sick. Number two you didn't mention what size the plants were when you moved them to the flower area. If you want to clone or any other cut you can do it as early as when the plant is 18 inches tall or more. If you wait too long your plants have more of a chance to become tall and spindly. Number three yes you can move the plants early to hps. It's still light. As long as you have them on more than 12 hours a day lighting they will continue to vege. I suggest, after cloning at 18 inches, wait 7-10 days and then flower those ladies. Hope this helps.

3. you cant reuse soil ? why not ? i assume if you flush it good it will be fine no ???