6" DIY CARBON FILTER? why is everyone pushing air?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Vortex93, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hey GC!

So im looking to vent a space of 2 feet width x 5 x 5. I will be using a 6" inline fan with a speed controller. I am going for VERY stealth in terms of noise and smell AKA no smell since venting indoors.

I was looking at DIY carbon filters and couldn't seem to really find many...and the ones I did find everyone seems to be PUSHING air through them. I was told that this is harder for the fan and also noisier than pulling air through them.

Whats the reason for everyone seeming to always push air through their filters (DIY or bought)? Is the noise of pushing air really that loud/how much extra noise would you say this adds? I would like to run my fan at the lowest possible speed that keeps smell at bay and temps down, obviously Ill test it when the system is put together.

So with this said, does anyone know a good 6" DIY carbon filter? I am willing to push air instead of pull if it makes life easier/doesn't put that much extra stress on fan (more stress, more noise).

LAST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS :) !

Also I may be cutting a hole in the wall for ventilation since recycling the air in the closet would probably make temps sky rocket. If I cut a 6" hole in the wall and just put the duct in there is that ok? I can't really think of any reason I couldn't exhaust into my wall, however maybe im misinformed.

2. hey, ya I already looked into that, althought I believe I have found my solution for the DIY carbon filter. However does anyone still know if its safe to vent into the wall, once again can't see how this would be an issue but would obviously need to double check for safety concerns.

3. you should be fine venting into a wall as long as there is some space for the air to go in the wall (like it vents to the attic). you cant just push air into somewhere with no room or else its going to create too much backpressure and will not cool properly and will add lots of load to your fan causing it to fail much earler then you are expecting.

im not a grower but what i said above is just basic psychics

4. Ah I knew I was forgetting something. the wall I was going to vent into is an outside wall meaning that on the other side of it is outside the house...so im going to assume theres insulation in the walls. So if im correct id vent to an interior wall. Any issues with that? (like will the heat/humidity damage the dry wall or anything like that?)

The exhaust air will most likely not be hot or humid considering I only need about 200 CFM to exchange the air basically every minute, if not more.

5. @teh super bong: and ya i thought of that already but def a good point and thanks for the input!

6. #7 bennyweed, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
    Whats the difference between a front wheel drive car and a rear wheel drive car?

Push or pull the weight....same objective is accomplished. One works harder then the other.

Simple as that.

Here is what I do in my tent. I couldnt hang the filter in the tent because it is to heavy and I couldnt use valuable floor space placing it in the tent.

It works just fine, I have the fan dialed down 50%. Who woulda thought? Ron Paul taught me this.

(Please dont assume the filter is on top of the tent either, it's a model)

Attached Files:

• fan.jpg
      fan.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
  7. if the other side is the outside of the house then make the hole all the way thru the wall and put an exhaust at the end, that way from the outside it doesnt have a big hole in the wall...

8. Anytime you vent into an interior wall you are asking for trouble, most walls, by code must have fire blocking framing. What that means is that you are trying to vent into a space that has no exaust, and is only 4"deep, 42"long, and 16"wide. YOU WOULD HAVE NO VENTILATION AT ALL!

9. I agree, venting into an interior wall, that doesn't have known free flow to a basement or crawl space or attic, could not work.

As for pushing vs pulling the air, you are right that it is better for the fan to pull through the filter. The reason you see so many push to the filter is simple space requirements -- to pull through almost always means that the filter needs to be inside the grow space, and many folks don't have the extra space to do that. To push to the filter you can put the filter on the outside and make it as big as you want.

10. dont plug it in the wall. even if youre wall was loosely constructed enough for air to flow through, the amount of moisture that would build up in the wall cavity would lead to major damage and mold. pumping exuast anywhere but outside can cause issues. think about how much water plants use. alot ends up in the air and removed via exaust.
    i made a DIY 6" carbon filter with carbon pellets, foam and a rather large automotive airfilter like a K&N. it totally sucked. now all my ventilation is sealed to the outdoors and filtered with an ozone machine on the way out. absolutely flawless. food for thought man. temp and moisture can be a hastle. proper ventilation makes a huge difference

11. and to quiet the fan down more (if possible) hang it. really reduces vibration noise. if not, mount it on a chunk of foam or some kind of pad.

12. Hey guys thanks for all the responses and info. The reason I didnt get why no one was pulling through was because for some reason it didnt click the carbon filter would be on the inside. I thought it would just be inline, in front of the fan but outside the space.

I figured the interior wall may not have good airflow, but since its on the second floor i believe the exhaust has the option to go up into the attic but i would have to double check before I did anything.

I also kinda figured moisture might be a problem but like i said if im moving the air out fast enough is there that much moisture that could build up? However I'd rather not find out! :p What are some options for venting in a top floor closet? I was thinking the attic but then i would probably have to go up there and move the insulation around which I did not want to do.

IS there anyone with a way of venting without cutting holes in the wall as id rather not deal with the permenant damage since its going to be a once a year thing, if not only this year based on how it goes. Although I doubt there is a way so can i just put a exhaust in a hole in my ceiling if i clear the way from the attic?