50% Coco coir and 50% MG Organic soil. Good mix? *Coco growing advice appreciated*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by B_herb420, Sep 4, 2010.

1. So, i've heard that when using coco as a grow medium, it's super important to keep up with the PH, just like hydroponics. And, with soil, PH isn't really a critical thing. Sooo... If I mixed half Coco coir and half Soil, could I get the easy management of the soil, and the aeration of the coco? Without having to worry to much about PH?

2. I use half ffof and half coco, dont really have problems with ph, dialed it in once and now it just fluxuates a pt give or take. It's super airy as well so roots just take off. Only problem I've had with it is the coco can be susceptible to algae, I just use Hygrozyme and cover the pots and seem to have it under control.

3. Im not terribly familiar with MG anything, so pardon me in assuming that it has no pH balancing agent. I know that some coco-coir products have pH buffers, and I think ffof has some, so those would be a good mix as the above poster said. Now, im not sure if MG puts a pH buffer in their soil, but I think your answer depends on that as it pertains to mainting pH levels.

I'd throw a good mix of perlite in there though. I am currently starting up a 60/40 coco/perlite mix, started some seeds and they are loving it.

4. Cool guys, thanks for the help. I guess i'll have to cover up my white buckets to prevent algae. And, I heard before that coco naturally adjusts the pH to 5.5-6.5?

5. Is the reason he is gettin algae is because _________________?
    White pots really matter with algae?

I need some advice on adding coir to my org soil mix.
    Using something between LD/3 LB/subcool I not sure
    But I like the phrase somewhere used:
    "I can drive over it with a truck and it expands "
    Yeah budddy sound like a mix to make.

Ok now if I use an "organic " source of a new and improved product called KOKO Coir in a big hunking brick ...
    Do I really have to wash it? Or are they not like that anymore?

And finally (yeah sure)
    If you are seeding in only coir/perlite. Am I to assume you are doing some form of hydro for your entire grow or just seeding stuff. And transplanting into soil.
    doh?
    Thanks

6. It looks really cool to seed into coir any suggestions for nutrient plans with that mix through the seedling stage?
    Thanks

7. i would advise you to NEVER run anything MIRACLE GROW ! ! ! unless your up for battling fungus gnats. anything MG is bad news.

if your going to run coco you need to go the the "coco section" and READ READ READ READ ! ! ! ! coco is not a beginners media

it sounds like you dont have alot of experience. you would be safest going with ffof or something of the like

I have to agree with tothehead, do a bit more reading man. 

MG is pure shit, and aeration/nutrition considered that's doesn't sound like too good of a mix anyway.

I'd head straight over to the Organics section on here, that's where you'll learn the most :smoke:

Take it easy,
    Clouds :bongin:

9. Miracle Grow anything is manufactured by Scott's who is owned by Monsanto. It is pure nasty junk and should never ever be used.

Ever.

Jerry the Miracle Grow HATER.

10. #11 someguy17, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
    Old