(5) 600 watt lamps

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cripdog, Oct 5, 2006.

1. How would i hook (5) 600 watters in one room?

2. Plug all light into 1 extension cord/surge protector

Place light into reservoir

Make sure you do not have a GFI plug

Plug lights in:smoking::rolleyes:

3. Watts = amps x volts
    3000 = amps x 120

you need a circuit with minimally 25 Amps to run ur system SAFETLY

4. actually 3000/120=25 amps but you need derate your breaker by 80%.

25 X 0.80= 31.25 The next standard breaker size is 35amps. You would need a 35 amp. breaker with at least a wire size of 10 or 8AWG. I would look it up but am not high right now. I would split them over at least 2 ckts.

5. jsut incase anyones confused, i think sabre61fan means 25/0.81 = 31.25

6. A 600w ballast at 120V will kick a 6/7+ amps startup serge. If all the lamps come on at the same time you could have an initial current serge of over 40amps.

Stagger the startup of each lamp by a few seconds or so.

Also, Never use extension cords for more than one 600w ballast. I learned by experience.

7. Is a 35 breaker ok with one 600watt though:wave:

8. Sure is OK.

9. ROFL DONT DO THIS....

1 extension cord is not going to be rated for over 40+ amps.

If you kick all these lights on at the same time, they can actually pull up to 6x their rated amps....

Stagger turning them on by 1 or 2 seconds... and for god's sake check your breaker box. Just cuz you plug into 1 outlet, doesn't mean there aren't 3 more on the circuit that have say.. your TV, dishwasher in it...

This is how shit burns down.

10. goood look with the electric bill

11. Yeah you need to distribute them between atleast 2 circuit breakers, 3 would be better. Cause with that many watts your going to need some serious cooling, which means even more amps.

12. I never run more than 1 600 watter. Im thinking about buying three more. In my house i don't have a washer or dryer, i never cook and i live by my-self. Would two ligths per 20 amp breaker be o.k

13. or maybe if i hook 4 of them to a 30 amp which is for my dryer. Since i don't have a dryer anyway.

14. I don't think ur gonna need a dryer with 2.4 kW of allmost pure heat.
    You can dry your clothes in your growing room.