4x4 or 5x5 tent using 4 5gal buckets?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by aoj, Jul 22, 2013.

1. #1 aoj, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
    I'm sold on Yoda's RBB setup found here Yoda's Recirculating bubble Buckets but have some questions on the ideal size tent for running 4-5gal bubble buckets. Is 4x4 big enough or would this setup benifit from more space?  Posibly gonna scrog if this makes a difference on what size would be best.  Would a 5x5 allow me to do 4-5gal bubble buckets plus maybe 1-2 5gal soil also?  From a yield and efficiency perspective what do you guys/gals recomend.

Depending on what size tent you recomend would I be best off going with a 600w or 1000w light for this? 
    Light kits im looking at are:

600w
    Apollo
    iPower

1000w
    Apollo
    iPower

This will be my first grow other than small CFL closet grows.  Been thinking about this for a while now and I'm finally ready to start it up since I have the funds and the time now.  Thanks for any help.

2. Bigger light + bigger tent = more bud. I would do the 5 x 5 with a 1000w.

3. I understand the bigger is better mentality but like I said I only plan on doing 4-5gal buckets regaurdless if I have a 4x4 or 5x5 tent I have the space for either but if they wont fill up a 5x5 or waste a lot of the light then would 4x4 make more sense is my question.  Never grown in 5gal buckets only in 1gal in soil so have no idea how much space these will need when grown out.  I'm only growing for personal use but want to get the most out of my 4 5gal bucket setup.

4. 5x5...they are going to get bushy and you will be glad you have the extra space.

5. Yea after thinking about it I agree plus I talked to a local hydro store today and I should be able to get the 5x5 tent I want for the same price as online which isn't much more than the 4x4 so what the hell.  I'm gonna use a single 600w this time and plan to scrog either just a 4x4 area or use the 5x5 area but not sure if the light will reach the outside edges very well with the 600w lights footprint but either way ill see and can always upgrade the light for the next grow if I'm not satisfied.  I bought all the bubble bucket components today from the hydro store here so once I build that I'll be ready to spout some seeds.  I have Herijuana from sannie and white russian from serious seeds now just need to decide which one to try out first.

6. Honestly, with the little price difference between the 600w and 1000w lights, i'd highly consider paying the extra $80 up front and getting 30-40% more bud in the end (could be a difference of 10 ounces or so, think of it this way) especially since you're getting the 5x5 tent. 

7. Yea only problem with a 1000w I see is that I'm not sure if I could keep the room cool then.  I live in FL and I already have to run my AC nearly all day just to keep temp at 78-80 and thats without any HID lights and I'll have to vent into the same room I'm growing in dont think it will look right to have vents hanging out the window at an apt.  I figured I see how It went with the 600w and if it's managable I could always get another 600w in the future.

Of course I'm open to suggestions.  I dont want to have to run a dedicated AC for this and it is the summer right now which in FL doesn't end untill Jan if even then lol.  Unless I could turn the power down on the 1000w during the summer and then turn it up during the colder months when I could just crack the window to let cold air in.  Is running a 1000w ballast between 50%-75% truely like having a 600W?