480 watt Quantum Boards, Barney Farms LSD clones, vs HPS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by HardDrive, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Nah they ain't. But what is the advantage of wiring series vs parallel ?

2. Yeah they do, but I need heat right now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Generally no. A few rare instances that might be better one way or the other but it’s more advanced then I’m capable of explaining

4. Kewl thanks Bro

5. If you get a chance, try this strain, it's a good commercial strain as well with heavy ass'ed bud

6. oh make them big make them big!

7. parallel... one board maybe brighter than the other. My 304s in parallel had a difference in lumens... no biggie though.

8. 500 watts of qb's (samsung powered board lighting) will easily outyield a 600 watt hps. A practiced skilled grower with that much qb's and the right strains can hit 2lbs+.

It's quite intense light and likes about as much distance as you're used to running with the 600 watt hps. 18-20" to some plants that have a low tolerance for intense light and as low as 14-16" when running more light tolerant sativa leaning strains.

Running too much voltage can cause the temps to run a little hotter then they should. It doesn't hurt once you get it running to push a screwdriver in the voltage adjustment and dial it down until the lights start to flicker. Then dial it up until they settle back out and leave it. That way you're reaching the forward voltage required to turn the leds on but not pushing extra volts that do nothing but make more heat.

If you raise the current it will tend to raise the forward voltage slightly. So if you do dial up the current it may require a re adjustment of the voltage level again.

Good luck! Nice purchase. I hope the Chinese dudes built you a good board. Most of the knockoffs I've seen have ran great. There was a few horror stories in other forums of people getting sold older diodes and just being told that they were the newest. That's partially why I say just go HLG usually. You can depend you are actually buying the diodes they say they are.

If anyone wants to go knockoff to a different alibaba company to get boards I would recommend searching around and finding the few companies that people have been getting good boards from like R2T I think they're called.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. One tip: The samsung powered white light leds cause the plant to consume about twice as much cal/mag as other grow methods I've used. I strugged with mostly calcium issues almost every grow until I started using Nectar for the gods demeter's destiny liquid calcium.

Just be ready for that and either enrich your medium with extra cal/mag or get a good supplement to have on hand. I also use GH calimagic.

If you do go with the Demeters destiny it likes to spoil quick so keep it in the fridge. My bottles I've kept in the fridge last. The others start smelling like sour milk in about a month and a half.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I probably would have recommended you get 4k qb120's for veg but if you have plenty of headroom the 3k's don't cause that much stretch and they will grow faster with the increase in red.

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. Now about nutes.
    I've been using GH 3 part for I don't know how long.
    What about AN 3 part? I got a email about saying increased over GH and have read some on it, but it's like what's the best a Ford or Chevy.
    Any body did a swap and can really notice a difference in yield?

12. This is a perfect situation for you then. Drivers inside tent for winter. Drivers outside tent for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. You will be feeding these girls more that’s for sure. I know you run DWC, but have you ever considered a three part water soluble nutrient system?

Masterblend 4-18-38 has a great base with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. You can buy enough to mix about 2400 gallons on eBay for $30.

The best part about using it is you can use the calcium Nitrate all through veg with the base NPK promoting rooting. I like to drop the calcium Nitrate after week one of flower and bump the magnesium sulfate weeks 4-7 in flower. And I get great results. Running DTW I had to find a good cheap alternative

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. I'm checking it out now.
    I do run through a lot of water. Now it's a gallon and about a half.
    Week 6 into flower to finish it's 5+ per day
    Having to buy GH by the gallons

• Like Like x 1
  15. Well there might be something to these new QB Led lights.
    So far my plants are loving em'. I'm getting 2 or 3 inches per day of growth.
    Here is a pic taken a couple hrs ago. Compare to yesterdays.

thumbnail_20190201_204133.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'm also mostly a GH user. I've never used AN but I often outgrow my neighbor that does. Seems like a good line. Not having to worry about ph would be nice.

I use just Gh flora micro/bloom for my npk with the lucas formula but I feed light. You don't need grow. The phosphorus is too low IMO and it messes up the balance of the NPK.

If you use just micro/bloom you can use micro as the nitro component and bloom as your p&k. You can increase or decrease either as the plant needs but the basic lucas formula is double the amount of bloom compared to micro for a final npk of 5-10-10.

I also use liquid koolbloom in late veg/early flower and dry koolbloom at mid/end flower.

17. Yeah the PH part of it I'm interested in. But it may bite me on the ass with these LSD plants, they like 6.1 the leaves curl up when it drops to 5.8
    Ah the price was cheap, I'll try AN for a Res or 2 and see what happens. I still have a couple gallons of GH.
    I use to run Lucas at a watered down PPM. I think with that formula it was around 1400--1600 PPM's and was to much.
    Thanks Tbone

• Like Like x 1
  18. I have used AN 3part and GH for a number of hydro grows using the same strain and starting from clones. Never saw a difference. I just started blended my own now and use additives

• Like Like x 1
  19. What's up bro! I'm looking into getting some QB's too. Scared to go away from my hps though. What's your opinion on them so far. I'm new here and thought this looks like a cool thread

Sent from my XT1254 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1