480 watt Quantum Boards, Barney Farms LSD clones, vs HPS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by HardDrive, Jan 25, 2019.

1. I just ordered the 480w kit and am waiting to receive it. Right now they are setting under a 600w MH bulb.
    The clones are old, and have been setting starving for a month or a bit longer.
    I moved em' into the 6 inch net pots 5 days ago. I had to take scissors and cut the roots apart, they just got to big, my fault.
    I'm going to be running 3 plants in a RDWC with a extra 4 QB 120's I had purchased for veggin'.

I just finished a grow running HPS bulbs with these same plants, so I kindly know what I should pull in weight if running HPS.
    I've just got to see what all the hype is about the QB boards and I will report exactly what I find, good or bad.
    My kit should be here in a week, so I'll probably use the QB's for one more week of veg, then go into flowering with 500 watts or so of LED's.

Any questions, suggestions on how to run these lights, temps etc... will be appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. lol welcome to the dark side! subbed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I’m subbed up too. Remember, there is a learning curve. The girls will eat more and may hunger for calcium. Can tolerate higher temps with the LEDs too.

Can’t wait to see the results from another experienced grower making the transition

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thanks guys. I'm excited about getting those lights, and I'm wondering something.

Do I run the lights wide open and set em' above the canopy?
    What is the height I should run? With my MH/HPS I run 18 to 24 inches. Should these be lower? Or should I run em' kinda high and get a little stretch for LST and when I hit 12/12 lower to combat the stretch?
    I'm gonna pick ya'll brain until you get aggravated on these new lights. Just remember, it's @Soil2Coco ur fault for this.

With the extra 4 120 boards in there, I should be at 550 true watts or there about so this will be a true watt per watt test or close.
    I see a lot of pics with the lights at the top, but that may be cause of taking pics.

5. Saw a pic of those roots had to stop by and see your progress

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. @loopster
    Drag ye up a bucket to set on, and I'll try and keep it interesting.
    Pretty boring now, things will change shortly when they hit flowering

• Like Like x 1
  7. Right now it’s my fault, but you’ll be thanking me soon enough. Looks like you ordered the HLg550. I would have gotten the 600, it’s cheaper and has like 620 available watts. Instead of 480.

http://.com/products/horticulture-l...MI8c6gi4mL4AIVHYezCh2_IwWwEAQYASABEgK6yfD_BwE

The qb120’s I run 12 in my 4x4 because they’re so light, and I hlove spread is even. You may have trouble with the big board and the little ones. Side lighting maybe (though I’m not a big fan)

8. I ordered from China. Total with shipping was 444.09 and I have a DHL tracking number that says they will be here Tuesday.
    That's fast. Yeah, save a buck and get bit in the ass sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh went to 20/4 today. I'll change the water tomorrow, and switch to transition to flower for a couple weeks. Root balls have hit the water and I'll up the nutes when I change water.

• Like Like x 1
  10. your a little ahead of me,, but im going from h.i.d. to l.e.d. also..and man did i find out about them just in time, i was going to order a splitter, that would allow a 1,000 watt ballist run 2.... 400w bulbs,,, ''ancient technology'' before you know it they will be trying to give away the MH / HPS bulbs,,,

hopefully my current run will be the last run i do using a H.I.D. light,,,and i just built a bad-ass reflector,,, but i'll gladlly throw it in the corner,,, allthough i may use some of the reflector plates, i put on it,,, to reflect the light from the L.E.D. boards,

• Like Like x 2
  11. My lights should be here Tuesday. Then a water change then 12/12. I should be in 12/12 by the 4th there abouts

• Like Like x 1
  12. looks like the lights will show up, just at the right time that you need them,,

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hey got em' today, a day earlier that expected. Pulled out everything all looks good. I've just now got to get the wiring done and I'll see how bright these things go. They came with a remote control for the dimmers.
    So I'm gonna eat supper and start the wiring in series for 2 boards, and series for the other 2 boards. I got 2 drivers in this kit. I'll snap a couple pics when I get it setup.

14. Depending on the footprint, is how I'll mount them, vertical = left to right, or horizontal front to back.
    I don't know which would be be best, so I'll leave it to ya'll with experience to tell me.
    I have 2 plants vertical, and the one vertical also. I left a hole in there when I removed 1 bucket, but couldn't change the lines, they are stiff and leak if you mess with em' much.

15. #18 HardDrive, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    changed

16. Is that the wiring I want?

17. You need to ask the supplier. Who was it btw?