400W Mh/hps Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by SocoGrow, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Been thinking a lot about micro grows. How many plants could I sustain if I planned on growing them their whole lives in solo cups.

2. whole bunches.

it really depends on how much lighting and space you're working with.

3. Basically a 3 square foot area. Is what I'm working with

4. If you run cfls, I'd put in about 200-300w worth. you could expect to pull 1/4 gram a watt...eventually working up to 1/2 gram a watt on the high end.

Have you looked into the drbudgreengenes method? He basically grows in solo cup sized containers..pulling about 1/8 to 1/4 oz per plant...I've modeled my vertical grow in that style.

read through some of this to get an idea. In everything I've read online his method by far produces the most buds per area/wattage.

5. Alright I'll check it out but I'm using a 400w hps/mh light.

6. oh ok you should use bigger pots then...I'd just bush out a couple plants in 1 gallon smartpots. The method is scalable but at 400w you'd have to produce like 100's of clones.

7. So you think it would be wiser for me to go bigger plants then? I was thinking of doing like 6 plants in 1 gallon pots. I have 8ft of clearance under my light at the highest point so height isn't really an issue for me.

8. #8 Bongsauce, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
    Well the thing to remember with height is a 400w light will only penetrate like 2 feet...meaning any buds further then that will be fluff. It's better to keep the plants shorter and train them to be bushy so when they finish flowering they're only 2 feet tall. Figure a foot for the soil/pots...2.5 feet for growth...another 10" distance from the light plus whatever extra height you need to accomodate light/hood/exhaust above that.

[​IMG]

* I couldn't find a good example pics of one of my 400w plants....but here's a shot of me running dual 1000whps. Plants were topped and trained to finish at about 3 feet tall. I was pulling about 3-4 oz out of 2-3 gallons of coco. 9 plants to a light/tray. The super lemon haze in the upper right corner pulled 5oz in 3 gal. I was using 1000w lights with 8ft ceiling but still ended up with 3 ft tall plants...cuz if you look in the chart a 1000w light in only good up to about 36". You don't want to waste time growing an extra foot of stem that will only produce larf.

9. Lots if good points in your post. I had intended on growing like 6 and topping them a few times. Plus I prefer indicas 100% so I prefer bush lol.

10. sounds good. :)  I like growing the short bushy ones too. There's alot of great sticky threads in the plant training sub forum here.

You got an exhaust fan or carbon filter figured out yet? If the 400w is enclosed you''ll probably need a 6" inline fan to pull the heat out.

11. Yea I actually have a 6" inline. And a box fan blowing over the plants. Also leave the door cracked so they can get fresh air.