400w in a small space?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dude in the kno, May 19, 2008.

1. is it possible to grow in a space 90cmx80cmx50cm using a 400w hps?

2. I doubt you could put your light and hood in that space and fit a plant worth growing too. The only thing i could imagine due to air circulation, heat, and space you could possibly do is line the top with as many fluorescents as possible and do a scrog with one plant.

3. Answer: NO.

4. all i ever read is people telling other people its not going to be possible. the only reason i asked such a noob ? is i wanted some iinput into why its not and why it is possible.
    see am here to prove it is really easy to grow in a small space, using a decent powered hps system.
    but more of that later, i`ll have pics and show people how this is possible.

5. no. not even if you were growing a bonzai pot plant hhahaha

6. ok i`ll move things forward, i was not going to post pic of my setup yet because it not ready yet. the temps are are ok with a 4in shower room fan and sit in the mid 80`s, the fan i used for the test run is only 4in and 80cmh.
    the fan i will be using will be a 5in 300+cmh connected to a fan speed control unit so i have a more control over the temps on the hottest days.
    i will be usin a homemade flood and drain setup,and growing sog.
    there will be more when i have finished the cabs, the veg cab is the one on the right, that will have i 125w eco-light and hold 2 mothers and the clones in a propagator.

Attached Files:

7. answer: Yes, if...

cooling cooling cooling. perhaps putting the whole thing in a clear tube that sucks cool air in and shoots it straight out again, so the light's atmosphere is never even in the same as the plants, then have the usual airflow and cooling stuff in the rest of the room to keep it cool too. then yeah... you could put that much heat in that much space. :D that gonna be a scrog right?

u say its cool, but how long have you left it on for to find out?

8. hey digit, nice idea,i left the light and fan on just over a hour in the middle of the day(it was 75f in the room its in),the flowercab will not be on in the middle of the day it wil be on at night.the fan i used mind you was only a 4in fan not strong enough......the other fan i have which a 5in will do the job nicely!
    i will be growing sea of green (sog) not scrog, 12in plants +or- , mybe even a bit of lst.:bongin:

9. yep, it is possible if heat is not an issue, i would reccomend a cool tube or some kind of hood thats a straight shot over the bulb like a cool tube.

having different intake/exhaust for your plants and light will be critical
    in that small of a space the 400 watt will need its own intake/exhaust to stay cool, i say if you can leave it on for a few hours and keep it under 85 youll be ok

10. yeah, i dont trust a system is gonna keep cool enough lest it's been tested "on" for at least a day (though sometimes u might b able to tell way sooner it's not an issue, but then, if u can tell that easily, you have to ask yourself why you're not putting more light in).

sog tho dude in the kno.
    u done your research? do u have enough height?
    is it just a management issue that makes you choose sog over scrog? or have you simply not seen how much more bud per cubic foot you can get with scrog? or have you seen something i havnt about sog? whats sog got over scrog?

11. hey digit, with the sog am intending to get a havest every 2 weeks, so would be putting new cuttings and every 2 weeks.
    am only intending to root the clones, so 7 to 10 days rooting,7 to 4 days veg, then into the flower cab.also yeah, that the sog would be easier for me to manage:smoking:. and a doubt i have seen something you havent:D.

peace dude!

12. ok doing so mere thinking and talkin to others, i have decieded to try the scrog at the same time to see which method will suit thes space better.

thanks digit!!! you got my brain ticking again:D

peace dude

13. 400W sounds too much and you are going to spend loads of money to cool it down. Why not go for a smaller size that may be more suitable to your grow area. Maybe 100W or 250W?

14. hey denialtwist,tbh i did wont to buy another ballast. i left the the whole system running for 12 hours yesterday and i am not worried about the temps now.i am just waiting for the damn water pump to turn up,so i can start growing.

15. What were your temps in the trial run?

16. heh, idk, i wouldnt be so sure. you've already reminded me of advantages of sog i had forgotten/overlooked.

ya, appropriate question. :)

curiosity peek.

i remember one box i saw, it needed doors to be opened regularly for long periods, otherwise temps would keep on creeping up... they never let it get above high 90s but presumed it would have risen to fire starting temps. anything above 80 and you're likely stunting growth.

also, i was thinkin... you've not mentioned what strain have you (or u did, n i missed/forgot it)... what we going for here? something a bit stretch resistant and fast flowering, good sog performer strain?
    or has it not been researched to such a degree yet?

17. hey digit,anony, the strains i have are red diesel and blue cheese, i have a few grows under my belt. i have grown in similar temp before in a 2ftx2ftx6ft, it was NL f1 the temp would easily reach 34c on days, but 30c was normal(pic 1&4),the plant ended at 2ft tall and i got 37g dry,there were a couple more and they turned out pretty much the same.
    the temps in new flower cab(pic 2&3).
    both of the strains i have seem to like the higher end of temp scale. the way its setup now i have about 14in to play with in hight.

Attached Files:

18. heh. being so north i'm more used to keeping my eye on strains that can handle a beating in icey wind than a scorching desert or sauna. ;) just incase. cos ya never know when those lunatics who insist we call them our "leaders" would change their mind's again as to the "legal" status of the fine herb to actually be in alignment with the higher truth we know about it, when upon that day my feilds will be filled with a seed they've not been graced with since ww2 (probably). [/ramble]

is that 37g dry?

oh how i now wish i had weighed my accomplishments from a "similar"* setup. :rolleyes: the comparison woulda been fun. heh, oh well.

*used 125w red spectrum envirolight (which is equivalent to a 800w hid if you believe the marketting blurb bs) and a few extra >21w fluoros, & had a little carbon scrubber too. but the polis nicked it all. mmmm, power plant. ;) ;) ;) a nice little scrogger. two plants in just a little over 2 square foot, 610mm high i think (ceiling to floor). just incase ya was wonderin what setup i was prattlin on about. ~ no idea how much weight it produced, from me having no scales, me picking at it early and harvesting a tad (65-75% red pistils) early (to make it easier to reveg), and from the polis stealing it all the last time around. but that canopy was thick. pretty sure we're talking more than a couple ounces.

oh ya, i have other ideas to share.

... n since i aint "cultivating" at the mo, i might as well spout them to make use of them elsewhere right. ;)

other plantlife!
    the smell of some other plants produces a reaction from the cannabis to grow more vigourously. i've heard red clover suggested as a suitable plant for this in terms of its pheremones n such and since it wont grow so much as to get in the way.

that is.. if you're wanting to just go play with this experiment. or do you wanna keep it strict to the 'see how 400w does in this space'? cos i got more ideas if u wanna play, n if u wanna hear em. some need deep pockets (like LEDs!), some are free (as good as).

i luvs pimpin n tweakin grows. :D:D:D

19. yep it that plant was 37g dry,the rest were around the oz mark. digit mate i have a head full of ideas, just not enough space.by sharing we increase are own knowlege and move things forward:rolleyes:.
    every single grow i`ve done ive changed the setup but still yeilded pretty much the same amount. am not even going to think about leds, there a waste at the moment imho.
    i have used cfls, and still veg with 125w blue, hype aint the word, there nowhere near that. what helps the cfls(eco-light,envirolight and so on) is the spectrum of the bulb.
    today i realised i had really gone off soil growing after my last grow was in hydro, i got loads of ideas hydroponic growing;)

peace dude:D