400w hps w/ ballast...119$ new...(PICS)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by h4rk4t, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Generally no. I have a switchable ballast, which means it is designed specifically to handle both MH and HPS. I have heard that you can put one of these types in the other's ballast but not reverse it the other way around, and since I am sketchy on the details the safest advice I can give is don't try it unless the ballast is specifically made to accommodate both (which from the photo yours is not).

I believe it is the same seller, they have a big storefront on ebay and also sell direct. The ad and photo looks identical.

I think yours is, it certainly looks like it in the photo. If you could unplug the cord from the ballast you would see that in the photo.l

2. ok sweet....not about the not being able to use the MH tho haha...i could try it tho..just plug it into it and see...then if its a no go then just put back in the HPS.

ooohh and its not the same seller....because i went to the link and it seems as tho the pics in theirs are all homemade ones.....they arent good ones like mine...hmmm....well at least thats all i saw heh

3. nvm i was looking at the wrong linkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

4. so ya haha it was the same seller....How much did he get it for?...nvm i will just check on my own

5. Ummm...if you do just wear some safety goggles.

6. u think it would ruin the ballast and/or reflector or light ...w/e it is lol

oh and second question.....Do u know where i can buy anti-detection foil? aka anti-infrared foil....aka poly shield...i have look on ebay...everywhere man..walmart..home depot..man i need that as most important thing...#1 important to me....ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND SOME?? a link, site ...store anythinggggg
    thanksss

7. just buy mylar.

8. that blocks ir?

9. not totally. neither does anti-detection. the only thing that will block it, would be to insulate it and then redirect heat elsewhere.

If you live in the US, then they can't use IR to detect a grow anymore anyway. For once, the supreme court is on your side.

My bro sells mylar in 4 foot x 25 foot rolls for $15 and 4 foot for 50 foot rolls for $24 so look for some around that price (or go to my buddy's site). If you want stuff that is thick and blocks out any escaping/intruding light, then buy a roll of Panda film (it's reflective white on the inside and black on the outside). It's THICK (I think it's 6mils) and a 10 foot by 100 foot roll is only $75. You could build a frame and use this stuff as the walls and you're in business.

10. ohhh sweet, what kind of insulating would u suggest? im thinkin of getting a small amount of panda film...and then placing maylar over it...but im guessing thats not really insulating....what would be some stuff or like how exactly to insulate it..? I will buy some off your brother or w/e ....depending on its shipping, like the one thats 15$ ...if its 20$ total i might i dunno lol.
    Thanks alot man
    peace

11. You are very intent on this anti-detection thing, may I ask why?

Frankly too many people are not careful enough so it's good to see someone taking stealth very seriously, but generally I don't think there is much to worry about with heat detection unless you are outputting tremendous amounts of heat from a space that obviously shouldn't have it, like running multiple 1000w HIDs in a tool shed, but even then I'm not sure what risk there is of infrared sensors being used in everyday neighborhoods.

Any kind of insulation should block the heat, that's what it is designed to do. Keep in mind, though, that heat in the growspace usually is a problem for our little hobby, so trapping the heat in could have significant drawbacks. Ultimately you will need to get rid of that heat somewhere, and that hot spot will be just as vulnerable to detection.

12. im intent on this anti-detection because i dont want the cops to bust us and have my parents go to prison for sumthin they had no clue was going on...my parents are some of the coolest inosent parents and that would just ruin my dignity and just break me....

But ya im putting fans in it...3... two of them for intaking of air and 1 for blowing it out(which is located neer the top center since hot air rises) but i think i might have to get another one for out take....dunno. oh and they are computer fans...which i connected up to 6v batterys which i hope last a while....

13. H4
    Lets say you have a 400 watt HPS light and ballast, you can purchase a conversion MH bulb that can work with that ballast. If you have a 400 watt MH ballast you can purchase an HPS conversion bulb that will work with the ballast. You can get those at www.insidesun.com

Second, do NOT worry about the cops detecting your grow room heat signatures for two reasons (1) the supreme court ruled it unconstitutional for them to detect grow rooms that way as well as using infrared if you were growing outsdide, (2) it would take a lot more than 400 watts to be detected anyway. So, don't worry about that too much.

Good luck.

14. Yup he's right.. Check out conversion bulbs.. they make both mh to hps and hps to mh bulbs!!

also son-agro bulbs and super-agro bulbs come in 270 watt and 430 watt. these can be placed in a nomal 250-400 watt ballast.. great bulbs too.. more blue spectrum then average hps bulbs

15. okay sweeet thanks guys, i am checking out those conversion bulbs and what not...and now im not sketchy about the cops. Thanks lottttttttts !

16. in Europe we have different ballasts, this is a reason why i didn't wrote a worklog about ballast build, sorry guys:(
    and this is my ballast, as you can see the parts are installed in computer psu case:) it's look nice
    http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=060408001el.jpg
    now you can compare us ballast with eur, peace:]

17. ya thats pretttty nicee, its smaller then the USA ones for sure tho

18. In addition to which...you're growing in a closet, right? Most likely that is not against an outside wall of the house, so there's no heat visible to a sensor on the outside in any event.

19. Good to see a young feller like you having respect for your parents, but...

I assume you've read on this forum how growing in someone else's house is very much frowned upon, regardless of how stealthy you intend to be?

20. Well ya, but still im moving them out later on...so its just temporary...or w/e oh well.