400w hps: how far away should it be??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mr.niceguy619, Jul 15, 2006.

1. i just got my 400w hps/mh light in and hooked it up!!!! well i put my plants under the light (the laght was parobly 2ft above the tallest part of the plant) after about 2 hours i went back to check and i noticed the top of (only) 1 of my plants was starting to droop(the leaves did) and the bud looked like it "shrunk" . for now i moved the plant away from the light(so it's not directly under it) till i find out.....how far away should i keep my light from my plants????? (oh and even at 2ft above the plants.....it still feels warm at the plant)

2. My 400w HPS is only about 1 foot from my plant...are you using a fan? ive got just a exaust fan BLOWING beneath my light and half onto my plants.. seems to make it a shit load cooler in there compared to when the fan is sucking air out.

3. really just 1 ft? yeah i have 2 fans....1 in the back of the grow room to push heat out, and 1 more fan in the front of the room to pull the heat out.

and it still feels hot in there.
    damnit i dont wanna hurt my plants

bump for help

4. damn 35 views and only 1 person replied.....bump

5. I've got a 400W HPS also, and mine is only about a foot away as well. The temp in my room is a little high around 82F.

What is the temp in your room...do you have a thermometer in there?

If you just started using it, maybe your plants have to adjust to it if the temps are higher now...... just a thought.

6. i dont have a thermometer in the room(i think im gonna go get 1 asap) but id say the temp might be around 80-85f with both fans on. how long would it take a plant to get used to the light?? because of the heat, i've turned off all the cfl's in hopes of lowering the temp.

but when i had my plants directly under the hps they had a lil smell (like it was burning lightly) and the tops leaves curled up a lil.....so for now the plants are about 3ft away from the light untill i can figure out how to keep plants happy

7. bump, how can i get the plant use to the light w/out stressing it?

8. bump

9. Put your hand under the light and if it is to hot then move it higher!

plants lose 70 % of there water if they get to hot and then the nutrients build up and u get nutri burn!

:(

10. but i have moved it higher (it's about 3ft above the plants) and my hand is not hot.....why would it still burn if my plant isnt hot(well atleast my hand wasnt)

can the plant be saved? (im weeks away from harvest)