400 Watt or 600 Watt?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by boochiano, Dec 2, 2007.

1. :wave:Hey any advice...I am planning a hydro grow and was thinking of using a 600 watt digital ballast. i plan on growing 3-4 plants and the area is approx. 8 by 6 by 5 with buckets. Should I save money and go with 400 watt? They probably could handle the light..more light theory..Have't decided on what strain yet.. defintely going to scrog and or LST. Anybody with similar set-up? Would the outcome justify the extra expense for 600 Watt? Decisions..

2. Anybody have an opinion? Anybody growing 3-4 plants in hydro with 600 Watt HPS/Mh ? I 'd love to hear from you. I'm sure both will work, but I'm torn between 400 and 600 watt.

3. i would just go 600w, it can't hurt and they are supposed to be more efficient than 400w

4. yeah, might as well get the 600 unless you are worried about a heat issue... But then you can always just vent it. And you are prob. going to want to grow even more plants once you get started.. I asked myself 400 or 600 and it all just boils down to how many plants you wanna grow. if you are going to stay w/ andything under 12 then a 400 will do just fine. Especially since you are using MH and HPS.. pretty much got the light specrum covered b/c plants like a single source lighting... like the sun. DUH! :smoking:

5. I was asking myself the same question a few weeks back, I went with the 600w, they cost almost the same, and you get 50% more light, and you can grow more plants.

6. 50% more light with a 600w? Hahaha, I bet you got an A in maths...

I have a 400w, but I grow a maximum of 9 plants at a time in a 3x3x6 grow area which is more than enough for me for an area that big. It all comes down to how many plants you are going to grow, and how big the space is.

7. I sure did, looks like you didnt' jajajajaja

8. In a mtr squared tent with about 8-12 plants in it at once will a 400watt son t plus do or should i add 2 125 cfl envirolites red spectrum they put out 2700k lumens each & dont give out much heat so what do you think m8 any ideas

9. The Lumatek 600w is golden. That's what I would do.

10. wow id look at your own intelligence before you analyze someone else's. He was right and you were wrong. 600w HID lights have 50% more lumens than 400w's do. Do your research before you act ignorant and unintelligent.

11. #11 hipster, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    If you go by light efficiency (lumens per watt) a 600w HPS with 95,000 lumens is more efficient than a 400w HPS or a 1,000w HPS.

12. hey so I know this was posted in 07' but how did it go? lol.. Im just wondering because im thinking about starting a little 4 powerplant closet hydro grow with 400 watt MH and 600 HPS both air cooled. I really want to grow buds that I want to smoke, I only like the finest herbals.

13. the guy ended up getting one of the original spot lights from the premier of star wars and using it now he can grow red dwarf to 16 feet..so its all good.....only problem was he had to mount it to his neighbors roof 2 doors down....no biggie:cool:

14. #14 GrowMoe, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010

Not neccecerily. Hipster is right. Meassured in lumens per watt 600 is best, but you can get a 400w that is more efficient than the poorerst 600w. It depends on what bulb you have.

In example:
    HPS (Osram Plantastar) 600w 87000 Lumens = 145
    HPS (SON-T Green P)2 400w 58500 Lumens = 146

Compared to
    HPS (SON-T PIA Plus) 600w 90000 Lumens = 150

However, I agree that a 600w would be best if he doesn't have a problem with ventilation and heat.

Ops, I just noticed the thread was very old....