400 MH durring veg to a 250 HPS durring flower?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by wotlos, Aug 6, 2010.

1. So I've always used this 250 watt HPS grow light for my flowering and for that matter I've always used a compact fluroescent set up for my veging. But, recently I aquired a 400 watt MH warehouse light that I fashioned into a pretty decent grow light. My question is, will I have any problems going from 400 watts during veg to 250 watts during flower? Are my plants or plant going to be like " WHAT THE FUCK! WHERE"D THE SUN GO " and not fill out or stunt?

Any input is welcome, and thanks.

Stay green.

2. I have no idea, but I would like to know

3. I would just use the 400 for everything to be honest. Or use both for everything would be ideal.

4. Well, I wouldn't say just use the 400 for both cause you really need that low kelvin temp of the HPS. But i'm also guessing that you want a contiuous grow setup so using both lights for both flowering and vegging isn't gonna work. I do wonder if the plants would get pissed when they light intensity all the sudden dropped. Anyone ever done this before?

5. I have done side by side with MH/HPS in flower and there isnt much of a difference. Definatily not enough of a difference to lose 150w.

6. get the 430w conversion bulb its for flowering with a little blue in it.

brighter light is bigger buds

7. A 400W MH will outperform a 250W HPS in flowering.

8. Is that true? Will a 400 Watt MH be better for a flowering cycle than a 250 Watt HPS?

9. yes stick w the mh. maybe add the hps next to it if you can.

10. Yes it is very true. Dont get me wrong hps is overall the best of the best for flowering. However, the difference is so small that losing 150W over it isnt worth it. You might add 25% in weight with that 150w difference.

11. Well then, I think I might just use my extra MH to flower with now. I would still like to use my HPS thou. Do you think if I hang it side by side with the MH the plants will grow towards one or the other? Maybe rotate the plants? What do you think?

I would hate to have to keep moving the buckets around and I can't even picture how to hang the 2 lights so they would be benefitial.