4 inch inline exhaust fan running 12 hours a day?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by buckfittyone, Mar 26, 2007.

1. i was thinking about usin a 4 inch centrifugal fan to cool my cool tube and run my carbon scrubber inline, fan sucking air from front of cool tube,at the other end of the cool tube mount my carbon filter.as long as the lights are on im gonna have to have the fan running full time.anybody else doing this?i wouldnt want to have to keep replacing fans every few months,i would imagine it puts alot of strain on the fans.feedback would be appreciated

2. Thousands upon thousands of people are doing just this, myself included.

Quality fans last quite well.

3. your input is appreciated.having my fan and carbon scrubber setup all in one would help me alot as far as stealth is concerned

4. what kind of fan are you using? how many cfms?

5. i would think of switching to 6". 4" fans "usually" can't get the job done. it'll be phased out soon . think about it. for most companies, that's their bottom of the line inline fan. not a lot of r & d going on there. the change from 4" to 6" is incredible. ask any hooker... there's just not enough cfm's in a 4". remember, when you're setting up your fan. think of it as moving a chain. it's easier to pull a chain, than to push it...

6. point taken growbot,but wouldnt i lose alot of cfms running a 6 inch fan to a 4 inch reducer?.i already made my bake around kool tube and its only 4 inches ,i wouldnt mind going from 6 inches to 4 inches but i would think that its putting more stress on the fans in that configuration,not trying to turn away your advice,im just wanting your feedback on my theory

7. o.k. i'm a bit buzzed, lol, i read it all again. it all depends on what wattage light you're running. 4" would be pushing it with anything other than 400 watts with a scrubber and the amount of venting involved. i b thinkin... depending on the sq. ftg..

8. I agree with GrowBot, a 6" fan would be more up to the job. I didn't mention it as I thought you were just asking if it was OK to run the 4" full time. Which it is.

As for running a 6" to a 4" reducer, yes you will lose a few cfm, gain some extra whooshy noise at the intake, and possibly a slightly reduced fan life.

The 6" would still be a better bet to run a cooltube and carbon filter though, IMO.

9. i am running a 400 watt hps,im gonna see if i can configure the setup to run the cooltube off of pc fans and just have the exhaust fan for the carbon scrubber,trying to fut it all in the same package is gonna be the tuff part.thanks for all the help guys :wave: been reading this forum ever since O.G. got shut down.long time watcher first time poster

10. 4" inline fans may have a high enough cfm rating, but when they have to pull/push air through a carbon filter it taxes them too much. bottom line is that a 4" will work to vent a cooltube, but not if you have a filter attached to it.

11. thats wussup.im definately goin for a 6 inch fan strictly for the carbon filter and im gonna pipe the cool tube seperatley

12. Would a 4" work w/ a small veg room (2x2) running a T5? it would only be going through a scrubber