4 Aurora B clones in rockwool...and white mold?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by DarthHerbage, Jun 30, 2008.

1. While this post should probably be in the sick plants forum, I don't have much luck getting responses there so here it be.

If you followed my first grow journal, you know I took 4 flowering clones from my Aurora B plant pretty late in flowering.

I took the cuttings off the bottom, dipped them in clonex, and then put them in rockwool cubes (that had been soaked in PH'd water for a day). Then I put them in a mostly closed rubbermaid container in a propogation tray on top of a heating mat. I mist them once/twice a day, and water the rockwool cubes once a day or so depending on how heavy they are/how dry they are. They are all under one 25 watt CFL.

When I started watering them/misting them, I was using an ancient spray bottle that I hadn't used for a long time. At one point I decided to use the rest of the water in the spray bottle to water the cubes, so I took the spray part out and poured the remaining water on them.

Well, apparently the spray bottle had some mold in it and it got on two of the cubes when I watered them. I ended up having to transplant those two clones into new rockwool cubes. I even had to chop a couple sets of leaves off one that had mold on it.

Now, the cubes are developing a thin white layer of mold on top of them. I can also remember the cubes I used in last grow (only grow) also kept having this same thin layer of white crap on the top of them... So now I'm questioning if this had any effect on the root rot issues I had...

So, I guess the question is, what the hell's up with moldy rockwool cubes? What am I doing wrong? Is this normal? Can it be fixed? Are my clones doomed? Was Spinoza's brand of pantheism pantheism at all and if not what the hell was it?

I'd post pics but I can't find the usb cord...again.

Any help/advice/comments appreciated.

2. yooo!
    whatup man!
    nice to see u growing again

i had this white crap on my cubes too
    its not really dangerous IMO
    it didnt spread in my case
    the dark green or whatever colour mold is worse

i think u should remove the white layer
    and cover the cubes so the light wont get to the surface
    that can stop the mold i think

im shure someone will tell u something more helpful tho

good luck man!

3. ive never used rockwool myself heard it holds to much water, but the way i clone plants is just take the cutting dip it in rooting hormone and place it in a party cup with perlite and fill it with water! leave it sit under a small light personally i use 26 watts per 2 plants and top off the cup with water every few days and 7 days later you have roots, at least thats the way it worked in my cases and works well my father actually taught me that method he said he'd take 60 clones at a time and have all root but 2 sometimes.

4. Thanks, mane. If you had the same thing on your cubes and you also had root problems maybe the two are related? I'm just wondering...I'm sure any type of mold is bad, but like you said aside from my root problems I never noticed anything big coming of it.

I had been thinking about putting something over the cubes, but I've never seen anyone else do it for clones.

How do you suggest removing the white layer?

Thanks for the advice.

Nice. I'll take your advice into account, but I only have rockwool atm and I read a pretty good guide about it by...damn if I can remember right now, but a really good grower that gets great results from 'em.

I wish I had roots in 7 days, but these things were so far into flowering I know it'll take a little while. However, I did notice the two I transplanted starting to root when I took them out of their cubes.

Thanks for the help, guys.