Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

$35 an ounce for top shelf medical marijuana in Colorado

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Gardenmaster, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is true that there are other expenses, but I happen to know something about running businesses and the current prices are still out of whack. I'm not saying you should be paying $50 an Oz for prime stuff, but the prices most dispensaries charge are insane and totally out of line.

Hopefully as more and more States pass MMJ laws and as we inch closer to full legalization we'll see a reduction in prices. I know for a fact I could get rich running a dispensary while selling at half of what most places charge. Hypothetically of course since we haven't passed a bill yet (PA, it's pending).

2. PA has a pending MMJ law? :eek:

3. Too bad there's still a black market otherwise medical prices would drop in an instant.

4. Exactly why we need full Legalization :)

5. :hello:

6. Agree,

the only problem there is large corporations like Marlboro are already set up to mass produce if legalization occurs putting all of the small growers and shops out of business. It will be good for the consumer in the end getting a more consistent product at a lower price, but it will be the Walmart of weed.

I saw outdoor crops in northern cali being unloaded last fall for $400 / lb. of bubba kush, so it's possible.

7. I couldn't care less if large companies start to mass produce it. I don't buy Budweiser, I buy microbrews and imports or brew my own (often). Same will go for cannabis. There will be quality choices for the connoisseur, even if it means growing one's own (best option).

8. Exactly!

I see the legal cannabis market looking a lot like the current beer market. There will be big players churning our mass produced crap, but those who care about it will be getting local and other "craft-grower" products.

9. Why not just sell for like 60 an ounce
    wouldn't you get mote buyers and run diff places out of business

10. Yeah, if NY and PA could go medical that would give us quite a good amount of medical states on the east coast...

11. And I'll finally be able to open a dispensary :D

12. If they do open one ASAP, have your business plan in place now so you can beat all the government bureaucracy that follows the money.

To open one in Denver right now you have to fill out an application and submit it with a $5,000 non refundable fee (if you make any mistakes on your application you must resubmit it with another fee), then you must have your building inspected by the police and fire department, both of whom have additional fees, but wait, now the state had passed a bill requiring you to be licensed from them as well, there is another $5,000 annual fee.

My buddy is currently open in Denver, paid all of his fees and now the new state law he must relocate to 1000 feet from a school zone. That means he must reapply with Denver and pay another $5,000.

13. #34 oldskoolgrower, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010

I've started more than one business and I do have a plan of sorts, however until the final language of the bill is in there is only so much one can do to plan :)

EDIT: If I were to do it I also wouldn't care to make a ton of money. I have money, don't need that much more. As long as it pays the expenses with a small margin and the laws are conducive to it I'm there. Some States have passed some pretty poor MMJ laws. I'm hoping ours will be close to the CO or CA model.

14. lol so its 4 grams for $50? An eighth would be 3.5 grams, not 4.

15. I know that's something many of the dispensaries are doing in Colorado now is selling 4 and 5 gram "eighths" for $50. In fact they should be selling "sevenths" :confused:

16. ya i know what an 8th is supposed to weigh lol.

but as stated before me a lot of places are now selling 4 grams as 8ths. a few places i go to also give you a free joint everytime you come in.

and i love being able to use coupons...for weed lol. never though i'd see the day! :smoking:

17. Mabye in money costs, but what about the persons time and effort and care it took to grow the weed? Are those worth nothing?

18. Oh no, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that even with overhead once you get up over the $200/oz range it's starting to become gouging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.