300 watt cfl for flowering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by corco3045, Feb 14, 2013.

1. iv recently ordered a 300 watt red spec cfl i also have a 85 watt red whats the most plants i could flower with them in a 2 by 3 closet.

2. Is it 300 actual watts or 300 watt incandescent equivalent?

3. several plants in one gallon containers

4. 150 watt per plant. Is it actual watt?

Is this any good for flower? 2 different bulb soft white

Attached Files:

5. #5 wrexican, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
    yea, actual wattage is what their referring to.

are both type bulbs are 2700k? thats perfect for flowering.

6. 300 watt i 27k i have a pic here
    [​IMG]

7. #7 corco3045, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    Ffbyjg

8. yes both are blue wrexican

9. what im confused is that on "Brightness" it says 4200 lumens, and "Light appearance" it says 2700k.

which one do i look at?

10. "Light appearance" is the light spectrum. For CFLs in general, 2700k (red-ish in color, warm white) is for flowering and 6400k (white-ish, day light) is veg.

lumens is refering to the brightness.

11. I'm curious about this setup also, I'm going to be using 300 27k lights soon. None of the guys at the horticulture shop have had any feedback on them.. Most people switch from veging with cfl's to HPS when going into bud.. dunno if it's just a paranoia, or if it's for a reason.. anyways, I'm not in a position to use HPS at the moment, and would much rather move to a new/efficient tech anyways.

12. [quote name='"corco3045"']300 watt i 27k i have a pic here
    [/quote]

That is a 65w bulb not 300, and it will not work well to flower a single plant, much less multiples

13. Nah, there are 300w 27k bulbs, and that pic up there looks like it. 65w are fucking tiny.

14. #15 Doc-J, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    [quote name='"Joshulas"']

Nah, there are 300w 27k bulbs, and that pic up there looks like it. 65w are fucking tiny.[/quote]

No, an actual 65w bulb is pretty big compared to normal house cfls. Hard to really judge size without reference though. Either way that much cfl seems like a waste to me. Might as well be using better lighting once you get over 200w.

15. picture134.jpg

I know this isn't a 2700k light, I'll have that later when I go into flowering. But there's the size of these bulbs, about as long as your forearm.

Attached Files:

16. great lights,no question!
    a ,sadly now departed friend, grew with 2x200wt blue spec for veg, red for flowering ,his grows were healthy,wealthy & wise!!..
    stealth being the prime objective for him even growing at all so only way to go!
    pros;
    1.very little heat given off,could basically have them sittin on top of plants,list of benefits there too many!!
    2.no ballast,as built into base of bulb, in-cased unit,screw into reflector & plug in,your off! (compare buying 250watt hid against 200 watt CFL,£80 HID bulb & ballast £120+ if dual ballast?, CFL= £40,plus less electricity used with CFL`s making it lot cheaper for basically same results,yeh HID slighty better yields @ 250 to a 200, but not my point,STEALTH & WEALTH my point here!!, nit-pickin with yields, still great yields with CFL`s, no question, seen it personally & sampled loads,just too make sure it was that good!!.... it was!!)
    3.large,covers great area,friend checked mates 600wt HID set up against his CFL set up,very similar areas, but CFL`s covered its area better than 600wts of HID ,reading from photographers light meter!!... interesting but i still use HID`s ;-)
    over all, great way to go,great yields using less electricity compared to 1 600watt HID set up, so every penny/cent counts at times,yeh!
    needs must or must need!? ;-)

could go on but im choked with a cold,just toked 1 & need2 lie down before i fall down,lol

but couple wee tips through seeing his set up & grows,
    1st is actually getting the bulb to sit even when screwed into reflector,it always drops a little & when you raise bulb up to have it sitting horizontal making your reflector lift up from whatever side you screw bulb in,screw in on left side then front right of reflector points up & vice versa, so making reflector not 100% effective, & keep this in mind when i`m makin so much out of this , at least a 1/4 of your overall yield comes from the reflecting components/parts/areas in your grow/room,mylar,reflectors,black & white,paint, so pretty dam important,unless your minted & are using 1000wts per plant :) there will be 1 or 2 ha ha!, good on ya! but point im eventually gettin to is make the most of your equipment, so to rectify bulb hanging low is get ANYTHING that's capable of poppin 2 holes into reflector(easy!!) at point where top end of bulb is,
    before setting up lay reflector down,bulb in,then mark where holes going too be,bulb out carefully keepin greasy paws off it ;-) lol ,(thats just a wee pet-hate of mine,seeing folks set up beautiful g/rooms then last thing they just grab their lights & screw them in, your hands have a residue on them which will get onto bulbs,going back to getting the most from your equipment,yeh!! lol, sorry im digressing....be gentle i`m choked up with a really bad cold :-(,lol) as wide as the bulb (about 4-5" apart,perfect!! if no want to do procedure!?) so can get some kind of wire, he just used 20lb fishing line & tied bulb up so was horizontal to reflector,mind you COULD put your hand on these lights all day & no burns, DON'T!!!!! ha ha! just for the obvious question you`ll be thinking ......."it`ll burn through line & drop??" , never did, he grew this way for over 10+ years :)

& another wee thing, as very little heat given off, but don't get me wrong there's enough when lights are on ,just when off temps could drop, depending on too many things, wheres your grow room in the attic,the cold cellar, cold bedroom etc, rooms easily solved put wee heater in ,others sorry cant help you there,this good mate grew in his bedroom so his central-heating was used more at certain times of year at certain times,lol, but im sure some kind person could chip in on this & let you`s know how to resolve that issue!??

ok that's me, yeh great way to go, oh yeh this might sound stupid but make sure you know what bulbs are blue spec,whats red? as here in UK the 2 kinds looked exactly the same,apart from boxes ,yeh they show you but we`re stoners,they come out boxes,we grab box we think is right box,we gather up stuff then don't have a scooby doo whats what & where!! you`d think they would put something as simple as `RED` or `BLUE` on butt of them, they never,well saying that not checked out recently!!? easy solution if your part of worlds the same? just pen it on butt ,so in case when nutted you stick blue in red box when changing over ,well got your mark on so sorted!!
    probably sorted that prob here really couldn't tell you not seen 1 since 2009.
    right, hope was something there for someone!??

i`m gonna skin up, lie doon & pass out!!.... ;-)
    adios amigos

peace!............