$300 dollar question, 1 big LED? 2 medium LED's? or 1k HPS in 4x4

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tacobean, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Question #1 - Are Mars good for flowering? say a 300 reflector? (148 real watts) as one would prefer no heat
    Question #2 - would x2 smaller Mars Reflectors say 180w x2 be better in terms of photon coverage and flower density?
    Question #3 - Although heat or fire hazards are not wished for, would a 600w hps outperform both scenarios above?

Consider one already has 500w+ or large cfls

Please anyone who has used this combination of lighting during development can you please explain to me which to go with.

Basically I should say whats the minimum wattage of Mars to flower 4x4 2 girls?
    One would prefer LED's for heat reasons and to avoid a new air system.

2. #2 Pontiff, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    500 actual watts of cfl?

I dont know much about LEDS but right now I have a 400w MH going and it has actually stayed cooler than the 5 40w CFLS (100w equiv) I had going in my tent. When I had the 600w bulb in it was only about 4 degrees higher, but enough to make me get a 400 and dim down until I can get some cooler temps.

I am planning on going to LED next grow for atleast vegetation. Lookup the QB boards, from what alot of people say on here they are just as good if not better. Loads cheaper as well. If you look in the "indoor grow section" there should be a thread saying qb boards back in stock. Shows some pics of grows with them too.

Edit: thought i should add that with that HIDS I had to get a 6in inline fan, ducting, and a small 6in fan for blowing air in. Whereas for the cfl's I was only running that small 6 incher

3. They are not in stock good sir, do they stock often? Which additional parts would one need with the board to run..how many for 4x4? 4? four of them.

4. 500+w of cfl's, true watts mate 6400k/2700k 130 w dual spectrum, 5500k 130w and x1 2700w 130w, x1 38+/-10 watt UFO LED.

Would one be extremely dissapointed flowering with 500w of cfl?

5. Just grab 2 cheap 300 watt full spectrum LED's from amazon. Mine have lasted a year already for i think 60 bucks per light. Quantum boards are good if you can find them for that price, but long as you use good LST methods and defoliating techniques, you can get the results you need. I say grab 2 lights because if you ever have plants at different ages, you may need to use one light at a different height. 4x4 is more than enough space for 2 plants as well.

6. #7 tacobean, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    After revision, I see you meant Viparspectra, are they durable? Would 272watts be enough to flower in a 4x4 with smile worthy results and good medicine?

Whats the go here, which LED is the cheap yet magic one around the market??????????????????????

And if Vipar, would a more powerful single one be better for 4x4 or just 2 small ones for overlap and spread

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Damn so far looking at 1000w hps dimmable ballast and cool tube unless someone can recommend from experience if x2 Viparspectra 300's will bloom two plants well enough in a 4x4, perhaps a rough watt to gram scale of return from 300 true watts of brand name LED's?

What to do..

8. If u r going the 300w route give these a look. White led Screenshot_20171117-062616.png

9. I second the recommendation for the HLG quantum boards. Best bang for your buck atm. They're really simple to set up and there's alot of ppl around that would be more then happy to help.

on wattage..alot of newer growers are getting over a gram a watt with cobs/quantum boards, consistently. Experienced growers are pushing closer to 1.5-2g per watt. With lesser leds or hps, (most) people are still struggling to hit a gram a watt, and when they do, it's a success.

Lighting is the heart of the grow, and the most important factor for yields and quality besides genetics. Any successful grow will pay for it's self 2x on the very first harvest.