30 reasons (root bound) is a myth

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by greenthumbs21, Jan 26, 2015.

1. #61 6inarow, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    I also check one pot out of the bunch to check root development. I just pick any ONE PLANT, and check it's roots once to twice a week. As greenthumb said, it helps me to see if how my babies are doing.

And like greenthumb also said, it stunts growth. Not a ton, but noticeable.

2. 6 months in this same planter
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422324254.142044.jpg

My mommy. She hasn't started lightening up at all. She gets a dose of grow once a week, and it's like half dose.

She has been reliably giving me cuts for a while now. I'll open the pot when I cut her rootball down and re pot her back into the 1l for another 6 months.

3. This is beautiful and exactly what im talking about....i wish all the new growers can see what you CAN do with a little bucket!!!! Awesome

4. i guess there are diff. opinions on the term, "root-bound." imo, as long as you meet all of your plants nutritional demands, and your environment is in step, root-bound doesn't exist. so you decide to grow a plant in a gallon container (sog growers.) you take care of feeding properly, the plant will only grow so big. it's healthy, and displays no issues, is it root-bound? i suppose you could say it is, because if you put it in a larger container, it would have grown bigger. but, the plant looks fine, and you harvest with no problems, and have some awesome bud. is it root-bound? i suppose you could say it isn't, lol. who cares, as long as you end up with what you grew it for in the first place?

5. That's a 20 gallon pot.

6. Right....most new folks...throw a seed in a pot that size...overwater overfeed and wonder why the poor little thing is all stroked out.

Some know how to water and to stay off the chemicals for a bit.....i notice people dont offer up repotting or needs nutrients. ...when you have results already.....the pic you shared proved my point perfect.....

you can put 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket haha. And people panic far too fast

why such a big pot?

you could grow that in a solo cup since rootbound is a myth and all that..

8. this is kinda like telling some to panic when they have a 1 inch sprout in a 5 gallon bucket because of a yellow leaf......if we just want to find bad info.....i could probably find years of it b4 i came.

9. #69 Buffalo11024, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    @ greenthumbs. I do agree with your methods using smaller containers for several reasons. Also agree that many fertilize and transplant too soon, however disagree about rootbound being a myth. the reason that this plant is not showing the effect of becoming rootbound is because of the design of these pots. they prune and prevent the root system from encircling the pot strangling the root system. Still allowing nutrients to be taken in efficiently rather than dropping into your runoff catch. taking frequent cuts also limits the nutrient required to sustain the plant once the soil is spent. if you tried growing a mother for 6 months in a regular gallon pot, even with nutes you would run into lockout issues associate with being root bound. my plants made it to week 7, stretching it as far as i could before deficiency began to show(water only). once the roots hit the edges i carefully begin squeezing the pots before each watering to keep the roots at bay. needless to say i was left with a solid 6" root mass(no give when pressed) when i transplanted to 3 gallon pots. Now I could have begun feeding at this point, at least for a few weeks. With all this being said, with no room left inside the pots but the perimeter, what do you think would be best for these girls, nutes or a bigger pot?

Attached Files:

10. how bout just planting 6 seeds (or more) (or less) in a 20 gallon smart pot?

11. Well you have a lot of floor space you can use....i have none.....you could flip lights and slam flower nutes today..my end goal is to maximize floor and canopy space....i would say in your case....you have room to use on the floor still.....very smart to squeeze the pots..... ...it redirects the roots instead of just slamming into the side of the pot....i do this through veg.....give me a month or 2 and ill flower another one in the same pot as veg......but i do it now....its a little root ball.....and my plants finish fast with zero nitrogen.

Let you know in 6 weeks.
    Im doing 2 plant in 2 gallon right now...no probs so far....doesnt mean more bud...just faster

I ran 6 clones in a 5 gallon paint bucket 2 years ago outdoor........ no hermie no seed.....and a cool little floral bouquet ....not much meds because i just threw clones out side...at harvest none of them even found the bottom of the bucket.

12. #72 Buffalo11024, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
    dont use nutes anymore. have made the transition to water only super soil in 3 gal for flower this time around. looking at clones off these girls for potential mothers. seeking 3 to meet a 9 week flower window for a 2gal 4x8 sog on a 3 week rotation. what's your veg time x footprint=yeild on your sog?

13. my plan is 3 weeks for cloning and base soil/cups. then veg 3 weeks in 2g ss to flower for 9.

14. #74 greenthumbs21, Jan 28, 2015
    I dont use nutes in veg and dont have time to mix truck loads of soil for more than a handful of people.....30 plants x 100 days (30 from cut 70 flower)= 1lb of meds, 1lb of crap for indigent.....i only use 2.3 bags of ffor....the other .7 is for new clones..... Less than 1qt of bloom, kb and lk.....so its costs me less than $400 in products and electric to make $2400 In meds....and all my poor patients get handfuls of free popcorn

Me trying to use 3g pots does not change the fact i only have room for 30x2g ......5ftx5ft...change it to 20? 10? You say in bigger pots?.....i challenge you to race me to a pound!!!! With 1 or 2 monsters....dare ya hahahaha

A cola needs .5 sq ft to develope into meds all the way around.....a donkey dick if you will has a bunch of immature trichs inside where the light never touches and the trich never oxydizes

And in 3g pots per 4x8 is 40~ total...1.25~ month veg from clone

15. #75 greenthumbs21, Jan 28, 2015
    We all have to realize that this is the only med quality material. ....NOT THE WHOLE PLANT

And heres some quick math.....i get a pound every 100 days....cut it in half for every new tent.....2 is 50 days....4 is 25 days....8 is 12.5 days.....it never stops

Attached Files:

One last time it ain't the pot size, it's the underlined reasons.  WTF is going on in here?

What you need to understand (although I think you did when you titled the post) is the main argument is not your growing method per se, but the fact you used the word "myth" describing the term rootbound.  Quite honestly after you listed your accolades I'm having a hard time believing you actually believe that it's a myth.  You're clearly a smart fellow and used some clever wording to get the responses.  The way you worded the first post is the proof you thought this through, well done, this place is certainly for discussion and sharing of knowledge through experience.  You knew what would get people posting.

Concerning how you grow I can't argue at all.  I grow in a similar fashion, only I run a true perpetual rather than the sea of green you use.  I put clones in the flowering room every 2 weeks or so.  I try to have 8 going give or take, so in theory there is always a plant almost ready as one is going in.  The timer always stays on 12/12 and there is no wasted time on vegging a plant.  

As far as you periodically checking your roots before harvest...Why?  I'll tell you for sure that they are in fact 'rootbound' by the first week of flower if not sooner.  I just don't understand why you would check if it doesn't matter.  Practice what you preach...lol.

I'm done in here, it's been an experience for sure.

17. I stated i used the wrong words a mile back i think....with a perp you have to vary nute schedules....not for me....its all the same.

As far as checking roots....did it years ago to find a base line of root growth in flower....usually between 1/3 & 2/3 flower...although i like your system i have found the amount of actual med to double with a simple 96 hour veg

The reason you give them a week or 72 hour veg b4 flower is for shock transplant

I know you stated the words you used are wrong, but you are still posting to the contrary.  That is all.  That's why I quoted you because that was yesterday.  One last time, pot size is not the reason rookies fry plants.  Not the only one with OCD. lol.

I don't quite understand why a perpetual like I run would need a different nutrient schedule than your set up.  I don't use bottled nutrients anymore, but when I did I wouldn't have changed the schedule using your method vs mine.  Flower room gets flower nutrients???

I never stated I didn't veg, just not in the flower room.  That real estate is too precious to me to waste on vegging.  You're simply not laying out what I'm playing out.  For some reason you feel the need to go to basics when I was trying to discuss a bit more in depth.  

As far as a simple 96 hour veg time increasing yield, I agree 100%.  I know of another factor that will surely increase overall plant growth no matter the medium.  Larger rootball.  Where do we go from here?  Back to first base.

Have you shared this philosophy with your colleagues in the professional world?  

19. Root bounding is not a myth, plants can get root bound if the pot is too small for it. I have seen many growers experience this, as I have also.

What you have there is merely sea of green, small plants in small pots. They are probably not root bound. This doesn't mean root bounding is a myth at all. If root bounding didn't happen we would all be growing in cups. 

What I think you may be getting at is some people use pots that are unnecessarily big, that's certainly true but there are just as many people growing plants in pots that are too small.

People who use raw organic fertilisers instead of bottled ready to go nutrients will need larger pots simply to have enough fertiliser to last the plant the whole lifetime. Nothing is wasted in this case because the soil will be re-used.

In your sea of green set up there you would have to water a few pots every single day if you wanted to water them at their perfect 'dryness' level. It's a crazy amount of work so I would never set up a system like that myself. Honestly. Try a bed next time, use 1 or a few very wide but shallow containers and still have your plants spaced out the same. You find watering 1 or 2 pots so much easier and the plants will have twice the root room enabling better growth and less frequent watering. 

Going by your replies on this thread I suspect you won't try it. But its certainly better imo 

20. Mix your own dirt and use just water??? I like that.....try mixing a swimming pool full for everyone.

So when you veg then go to flower they are in the same pot?.....this cuts on shock time...and im guessing you have a clone/veg or veg room...dig it

I came from the professional world dude!!!! The world of nasty chemicals...large volume mediums and long veg times......patients want more,better and faster than old times.