30/50 amp hookups to charge ipod?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Kanatiki, Oct 5, 2010.

1. im going on a camping trip on a 60 mile trail for a few days, and i was wondering if there is an adapter that will allow me to charge an ipod via US standard pronged thingy....im clueless when it comes to this stuff. The RV/campground hookup outlets intersect my trip on the 2nd day of the hike (ill have to take another trail to get there a few miles out of the way).

Even if there is an adapter, would i be better off carrying a $20 solar USB charger to save on weight if its too big? (link below)

Amazon.com: Scosche SolBAT II Solar Powered Backup Battery and Charger: Electronics

sorry for my ignorance and thanks!!!!!

2. iphone charger connects to the end of the usb cable

3. I've never camped in an RV before, but I have camped in a couple RV parks with hookups. They have always had the standard NEMA 5-15 outlets you will find in any North American home as well as the NEMA TT-30 receptacles for the RVs. Since both are 120V supplies, adapters are produced that will adapt a TT-30 to a 5-15. Regardless, almost all USB power adapters including all produced by Apple are SMPS (switched mode power supplies) which means they are rated for inputs of 100-240 VAC, 50-60Hz, which covers almost every power grid in the world.

So to charge your iPod you'll need a USB dock connector cable, and a USB power adapter. There are cheaper ones than what Apple sells. USB power adapters are pretty ubiquitous now, I think I have more than 7 of them in my house.

TLDR; all you'll need is a North American USB power adapter.