3-week "starter soil"

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by aptoker313, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I am currently working on preparing "the Revs" soil mix but need time for it to do its thing out in the sun. In the mean time I need a soil to put my sprouts in that will still be organic and get me through the first 2.5 - 3 weeks.

From what I have read it should be airy to promote root growth and use some mycorihizae? Also obviously some EWC.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. :gc_rocks:

2. #2 Jellyman, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
    Germinated seeds don't need either mycorrhizae or Worm Castings. EWC can actually burn them before they mature further. They should be started in cups of an inert medium like seed starter soil and given plain water. It's a good idea to water seedlings with the same liquid used to germinate them. A light seaweed solution may be used. Once the single-bladed leaves are fully grown and the three-bladed leaves just start to form between them, they can be moved into standard potting soil with Worm Castings and other amendments. The seed-starter medium will help buffer the young ones against burning after transplanting. The roots will grow outward into the more nutritious soil as the plants get larger & need more food.

Use your favorite potting soil with about 20% extra Worm Castings and some high-Phosphorus organic fertilizer like Bone Meal or high-P Guano; about 2c per 20qts of base soil.

3. Check out the sticky by dankohzee (hope I spelled that right) and after that read all of the other stickies. Did I mention to read the stickies.

4. [quote name='"Jellyman"']

Germinated seeds don't need either mycorrhizae or Worm Castings. EWC can actually burn them before they mature further. They should be started in cups of an inert medium like seed starter soil and given plain water. It's a good idea to water seedlings with the same liquid used to germinate them. A light seaweed solution may be used. Once the single-bladed leaves are fully grown and the three-bladed leaves just start to form between them, they can be moved into standard potting soil with Worm Castings and other amendments. The seed-starter medium will help buffer the young ones against burning after transplanting. The roots will grow outward into the more nutritious soil as the plants get larger & need more food.

Use your favorite potting soil with about 20% extra Worm Castings and some high-Phosphorus organic fertilizer like Bone Meal or high-P Guano; about 2c per 20qts of base soil.[/quote]

jellyman, EWCs will NOT burn seedlings. I've grown in 100% castings before (I was experimenting) and the plant grew just fine until thy began needing macro nutrients.

5. Thanks guys I ended up using some Epsoma Organic Seed Starter SOil. I mixed in a tiny bit of Epsoma kelp meal and like a couple tablespoons of high N bat guano just to "liven" up the soil a little bit if you catch my drift lol. They seem to be doing quite well I germed them in a moist paper towel and put them in some big gulp cups two days later after the tap root was about an inch long. It has now been almost 24 hours in the big gulp cups and I can see the first single bladed leaves forming.