3 leaf seedling freebie?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by eastonPf12, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Don't know if this is a problem. Started herbies freebies the WW x Skunk#1 . Both germinated within 2 days and sprouted 3 days after. I put them in peat moss and Scotts seed starter soil mix under 1 68 wt cfl. Found out that bulb was a little too much bc the first leaves burned no big deal I popped in 1 23 wt clf and all seems well. My main concern is one seedling has sprouted 3 leaves. 3 of the first sprout leaves and 3 of the first actual leaves. Is this a mutation that I should be concerned with or not?

Attached Files:

2. Genetic mutation. No worries.

3. Unfortunately becoming more and more common with every successful generation, original cause is blamed on the use of ....Colchicine, back in the early 1990s by a few select and greedy breeders attempting to increase the strains size, ..a very dumb move, however your plant should pull through, note: tho any screwing around with the photo period, will cause the leaves to swirl, which freaks many growers out but is harmless

4. I have them on 24/0 right now I took them out of their propagation setup I made for the pic. Is this a mutation I should keep going? I was thinking of breeding it I just didn't know if this mutation is something to keep going or to kill off.

5. As per my post, any screwing around with the photo period 24/7 not 18/6 will make leaves swirl

6. #6 bananamber, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013

Mutations caused (Some) by colchicine are fine. They won't cause the plant to die for no reason nor should it cause a potency or yield loss. Don't expect a yield/potency increase due to the colchicine though. As vostok said though, avoid playing with their light too much, you want to avoid bringing out mutations.

Basically, some guys thought treating cannabis seeds in colchicine would result in a polyploid plant with vastly increased potency and yield since it works with wheat. As far as I know, it didn't work as expected. Only 1 in like 1000 treated seeds would germinate and the ones that did usually didn't live long and were sterile.

That's what happens when wannabe geneticists play with mutagens. I'm not sure if this is true though but I have heard something about colchicine-mutated plants having higher odds of being male, dunno if it's just 1st gen or even beyond.

7. Well here's to the freebie freak plant. Ill have to post pics when I get it flowering.thanks yall.