3 gallon or 5 gallon?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DunSun, Dec 15, 2007.

1. I have 2 plants vegging for 2 months or so, and they are sitting in 3 gallon pots. I want to switch to flower very soon and am pondering the idea of transplanting them to 5 gal pots.

My experience in transplanting only revolves around the party cup to a 3 gallon pot. Is this difficult to do?

My main goal is to get more yeild, and it seems as if the roots have taken up all the space in those 3 gal pots.

2. Transplant into 5 gallon pots and wait for 2 weeks, Then flower.

Transplanting Not hard at all......Just fill the 5 gal. half way with soil , gently remove your plant from the 3 gal. contanier and place firmly into the soil in the 5 gal. pot, now fill around the empty spaces until the soil is at the proper level then water and fill any low spots with soil.

3. Word.

4. How difficult is it to get the plant out without breaking the soil up?

You say 2 weeks...that is too long, I need to switch ASAP. I havent had any good bud for a while.

5. Can you see if they're rootbound?

..if they're not then just go ahead and make 'em flower.

6. You need to transplant now and wait for the plant to settle for 2 maybe 1 week before you switch it to flower or the stress will be to much and your plant will produce poorly.

7. What you mean 'see if they're rootbound?' They have been vegging for over 2 months and they dry up very quickly. They drink lots of water daily.

8. Oh yeah they are most likely root bound TRANSPLANT VERY SOON!!!!!!!

9. what does root bound mean? when they have used up the available space for the roots?

10. Yes, Correct

11. Here's a rootbound plant, the roots have filled up all the available soil and are now choking themselves:

[​IMG]

you won't be able to see if your plant's rootbound without taking off the pot.
    My guess is it needs repotting.

12. Good example Amsterdamage.

13. How do you upload images? I want to put up pics of them.

14. I grew outdoors using 5 gallon buckets for years before moving indoors. You will not need 5 gallon buckets unless your plants are going to be 4-5 feet tall or more. From what I can see 3 gallon will take you thru flowering no problem.

15. 3 gallon containers will work fine as long as the plants are not over 5 feet at finishing. 5 gallon is best. The more root area the plant has the more the yield will be (bigger plant).