3 Foreign Students Arrested in Bali Drug Bust

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by twelver, Jul 4, 2010.

1. #1 twelver, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
    Badung Police nabbed three foreign students for possession of marijuana.

The suspects were identified as Dutch national Vrielink Leon [21], German national Mischa Karsten [21] and US national Patrick Leland Bird [19]. They are all students of a local tourism school.

Badung Police chief Sr. Comr. Dwi Suseno stated Wednesday that the suspects were arrested at separate places.

“Leon was arrested Monday on a street in Dalung. He has been on our wanted list for quite some time.

“We received a tip that the suspect was selling marijuana to other foreign students at his school,” he said.

Later, officers searched Leon’s boarding room and found 0.5 kg of marijuana. Another team of officers nabbed Leon’s roommate Mischa Karsten and found 10 grams of marijuana on him.

“The following day, my officers raided a boarding house on Nakula street, Kuta. In the raid, they arrested Patrick Leland Bird, who is also a friend of Leon, and confiscated 16 grams of marijuana,” Dwi Suseno added.

The three suspects are currently being detained at the Badung Police for further investigation.

Dwi Suseno disclosed that the suspects would be indicted with articles from the 2009 Narcotics Law.

“Leon will be charged as a drug dealer, a crime that carries a maximum penalty of 15 years imprisonment, while the other suspects will be charged as drug users, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment,” he said.

The police, he added, had notified the suspects’ respective consular agencies.

Data at the Bali Police shows that from the January-June period this year, 295 people were arrested for drug-related offenses. Out of that figure, 11 were foreign nationals.

Bali Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Gede Sugianyar Dwi Putra said the local police paid special attention to any crime that involved foreign nationals.

“Considering the island’s status as a top tourist destination, we give special attention to crimes are committed by foreign nationals,

or involve foreign nationals as perpetrators, because such crimes significantly affect the island’s image,” he said.

Source - http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...-students-nabbed-illegal-drug-possession.html

Three foreign students studying hotel management in Bali have been busted for possession of marijuana and hashish and are each facing the prospects of four years in jail.

Speaking during a news conference on Wednesday, Badung Police Chief Adjutant Sr. Comr. Dwi Suseno identified the students as Patrick Leland, 19, from the United States, Leon Vrielink, 21, from the Netherlands, and Mischa Karsen, 19, from Germany.

The trio and two Indonesian friends, identified as Ari Ibrahim and Nandin, were allegedly arrested in their rented house on Jalan Belubuh in North Kuta on Monday night.

Dwi said police confiscated 820 grams of marijuana and 4.6 grams of hashish.

He said the raid was the culmination of a month-long police operation undertaken after a tip-off.

“Their urine tests were positive for drugs. They said the marijuana and hashish came from Lombok and Jakarta,” Dwi said.

The students, studying international hospitality (hotel) management at Stenden University’s Bali campus, are currently being detained at Badung Police headquarters.

Source - http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/three-foreign-students-arrested-in-bali-drug-bust/383581

2. damn 10 to 15 years for possesion and dealing if the laws are that strict i bet they were busting heads for it.

3. ya the laws in south asia are ridiculous.

4. The lawlessness in south Asia is ridiculous. That's why the penalties are so stiff.

5. I used to live in Bali and I knew Leon, Patrick, and Mischa. Trust me this is all bullshit they got out within months. It's all for show. However after Leon got raided, a lot of people started getting picked up by the cops since he was a main dealer, so some people say that he's a rat. A lot of people left Bali because of this.

6. Damn immigrants trying to take all our jail cells :mad:

(j/k of course)

7. Looooooooooooooooool. A big dealer? 16 grams is nothing.

I find it funny how they act like they had a big succesul raid finding tons of drugs. When in reality, they found the weight of about a half a protein bar.

8. [quote name='"Buttery"']

Looooooooooooooooool. A big dealer? 16 grams is nothing.

I find it funny how they act like they had a big succesul raid finding tons of drugs. When in reality, they found the weight of about a half a protein bar.[/quote]

Chunky fucking protein bar man, the guy Leon was caught with half a kilo! :smoke:

9. AND 5 PEOPLE DIED.

Oh wait... nobody died. Nobody shot a gun, nobody hurt anyone else.

And this is crime? Of course, 1.82 pounds of cannabis may be a bit overkill...

And then again, there were no guns or any criminal activity besides the sales and possession of a plant.

10. The drug war is a sad sad thing.