2x 150w cfl or 300w hps

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Seymour, Mar 25, 2012.

1. whatever you say bro

2. cfls will work ok. but for budding i recomend getting a cooled hood or an ac unit that you can have hooked up to your scrubber. so it brings all the cold air in an then pipes it back out. Cfls shoudlnt produce much heat....an if they are you're in way to small of an area. an yes the sun give of different spectrums but in all honesty thats like saying all water is the same as well......certain lights during certain stages will produce better results.

3. [quote name='"oninugetsu"']it's okay I'm a noob who grows dank :) but of course not.. where am I gonna get money to build a setup like that being a noob? do you disagree that the sun's light is the ultimate source of power? so why not emulate all different types of light? or would it be better to just use a bunch of different color LED..?[/quote]

Because its not called different types of light first of all. Second it's nanometers and any good brand led has 5 - 11 different nanometers. So why add cfls or a hid when those all have the SAME "type" of light. And third if your gonna have all of those good luck on cooling down your grow room. Fourth why waste all the money on that. Yes the more light you have the more you'll get back yes but that's only to a certain degree. Hope you understand. People need explain thing not just say no.

4. I appreciate your response, that other guy just straight out told me it's stupid and didn't list why. I didn't know HID, and CFl were same type of light. I think LED + CFL is a good combo after reading your post :) thank you!

5. #25 Cuzin Red, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2012
    Even dimmed down 50%, that 600w bulb cranks the heat. And in just 3ft height that's cookin. Assume you have the ballast clear out and far from that small grow space. A cool tube could be pricey though. Depending on the details of your configuration, a 5000 btu AC that's mounted near enough to route a custom cardboard and duct tape plenum with dryer duct hoses running into the grow space would do the trick. This could be as simple as a cardboard box cut and modified to match the cold air vents off the AC and duct taped to the front to fit. Then 2 or 3 holes cut in the bottom where the flex dryer hose hooks up and is sealed with duct tape with the other ends right into where the cold air can directly combat that hot bulb.

6. That's a real cool idea but it will force my costs up and now I have very little cash so av got a small peice of glass which am gonna use to make an air cooled hood for my hps- best idea from what people have said- ill post some pics when it's done

What do y'all think

7. So question. Why don't you just get a led. It's the best of both. Better penetration then cfl and wayy better heat then hid. And on top of that led will cost less running also and give you some nice dense crystally colas.

8. Led's are way to expensive- I can spend very little this way and get the results I want

9. [quote name='"Seymour"']Led's are way to expensive- I can spend very little this way and get the results I want[/quote]

No you just haven't looked hard enough. You can get a blackstar 240 for 280. Or get a 300w hid for i dont know 100 then the cool tube which will run you alot and then the power bill also gonna cost you alot. And your never gonna have to worry about heat then either and you can have the light closer. And more usable light comes a led also vs a hid where alot of light is wasted by heat.

10. That would be great to try but my budget can't stretch to that- that's why am going DIY

11. Alright just letting you know. We gotta help our fellow growers.

12. No I really do agree an I would love to move to led to cut back on risk would be great- I just really can't stretch to that at the moment

I moved my two week old seedlings from cfl to my MH last night for just two hours them put em back under my cfls before I went to bed- woke up this morning and they now look like the picture- gutted!!!!

Gonna water with some formulex and give em a but of dark for a while!!!

Any suggestions

13. This is the picture sorry

Attached Files:

14. Please do expand your testimony for the blackstar 240.
    I want a cool tube but wonder about this investment.
    Heat is the enemy but can it make buds?
    Thanks,
    url

15. [quote name='"urlove"']Please do expand your testimony for the blackstar 240.
    I want a cool tube but wonder about this investment.
    Heat is the enemy but can it make buds?
    Thanks,
    url[/quote]

Alright to explain easy. The plant will not grow good or right if the heat is over 90. And don't get me wrong if you get a cool tube it will cool it down. But a hps on for about 4 hours can get up to 110 when a led can be on for a full 12 and be at 80. And also heat waste par and par is one of the most important things. Another thing is hids run hotter so they need to be further away from the light which makes the light weaker also. Sorry if I didn't make since still a little off from yesterday lol

16. [quote name='"Seymour"']This is the picture sorry[/quote]

They lookin great man. They under cfls for veg correct?

17. CFL's will produce a good amount of heat if the space is small.

Exhaust them really well and you should be fine. With only 3' of height I don't think HPS would be a great option for u.

18. They're easy ryders so this time I left em under 3 30w cfls for 3 weeks- I poted up last night and put em under my 300w metal halide.

I pointed the light away from them abit so it wasn't as intense and they look great this morning- was worried it would overwhelm them but nope!

I agree about it not being best but now ive worked out how to over come the intensity problem and am gonna adapt my hood so it's air cooled I think am gonna be sweet!

If I had some cash then I would sort my lighting out properly but well see for the future

All the comments are great- everything I have learnt has come from a thread like this and it's nice now to be a part of one