250w HPS or 400w

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Brucemalis, Sep 20, 2010.

1. I was trying to find out if the amount of heat a 400w hps produces is a significant amount more compared to the 250w HPS.

2. I'm just wanting to know if a 400w HPS runs alot hotter than a 250w or if the temps are basically the same.

I'm going to be buying a growtent soon

High Tech Garden Supply

that one more than likely. And I wasn't sure if throwing a 400w HPS would be too much for it.(originally just planned to use a 250w cause the Complete Grow Kit with tent comes with a 250...but i saw a 400 is only a few bucks more so why not get the extra light...the more light the better.)

Thanks for the help Marty...i'll be checking out your journal to see your grow space details/setup

3. I think with enough ventilation that tent with a 400w light would do wonderfully. The price you mentioned includes the bulb, ballast, and hood? I don't see many people growing with 250w.

If you are trying to save some money try to get it from Craigslist. I got my light for free, but I would never pay full price for one when there are so many being sold by local growers that upgrade.

4. I just switched from a 250w to 400 w my closet temp with 250w was about 81 with a 400w it's now 83.

5. 400 should b good

6. I wonder what kind of ventilation will be needed 4 that tent

7. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.
    I would +Rep you guys but I can't seem to figure out how using tapatalk

8. I think the answer is...it depends. Sometimes you could put a 400w in place of a 250w and see very little impact on temps, but sometimes you could see a 20F difference. It's condition-specific, which means that ultimately only you can figure it out in your setup with some trial-and-error. Air-cooling the 400w is a good way to keep yourself from getting stuck with a too-hot lamp.

9. 600w. If you decide you are going to get a 400w u my as well just get the 600w its more efficient and better bud density

10. I see what you mean. I'm gonna use that 400 and cfls so I'm probably gonna need some good vents