250W HPS/MH Ventilation Question

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Hazelra, May 1, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    Im just starting to do the whole microgrow thing, and was curious about the ventilation a 250W HPS/MH light would need if I were growing in a 2'x2'x40" cabinet. Assuming the light unit is 7.5' and the pot would be about 10" I am guessing, so that leaves 22.5" of vertical grow room, minus distance necessary to keep the plants from the light so as to inhibit burn. Not alot of room at that point. So my question is twofold:

First: Is a 250W even viable or necessary in this size setup? Are T5's a better way to go? This is initially going to be a veg/flower all in one box, but may eventually become just a veg box.

Second: If viable, then does the 250W run hot enough that a passive intake from ambient room temp (70-75) through the hood would not be enough to cool the light glass to the touch? Is a A/C unit necessary for this? How far would the plants have to sit from the light w/o a hood exhaust at all? How far with the passive ambient temp intake, and how far would an a/c cooled light allow?

Hope thats not too many questions! Thanks for the looks and for any replies! Cheers and happy growing!