?24 hours of darkness before harvest?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by popcorn18, Oct 19, 2009.

1. So Ive heard alot of people leave there plants in the dark 24 hours the day before harvest to help it ripen or whatnot.
    so Im just curious...
    Do you do it? Do you think it does or does not help? Do you think it would help to leave them in the dark longer than the 24 hours,like 2 days?

Im going to try it for the first time, and im just looking for opinions about it.

thanks

2. hmm id like to know the answer to that to..

3. Leaving the plants in the dark for the last few days tricks the plants into thinking the growing period is done / coming to an end. The plant puts everything it can into producing THC to protect the flowers/seeds during that time. I don't know if its scientifically proven, but its to try and get a little extra potency out of them.

4. #4 popcorn18, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009

Thanks for the input but one thing i was unclear on, do you think 24 hours of darkness is all they will benefit from,or would even a longer dark period help?

Ah I just reread and you said the last few days, so you think more than 24 hours would be beneficial?

Thanks

5. TOTAL bull shit

The only thing you should be doing to your plants during the flowering period is putting them on a 12/12 cycle, stop giving them nutes two weeks prior to harvest, and flushing them atleast once.

You flush a plant by figuring it like this: You're growing in a 3 gallon pot, so flush the soil with *gasp* 3 gallons of water.

I've heard, read, and seen a lot of things: experience has taught me the only thing that will help your plants is the above steps and my recommendations in my signature.

Honestly, have you ever seen mother nature turn out the lights?

6. #6 popcorn18, Oct 20, 2009

True, i see where you are coming from as well, thats why I have never done it and I could see it going both ways, thats why Im just asking to get some other opinions. Thanks for the input

Anyone else have their own opinion?

7. I doubt anyone has any documents proving this theory...(24 hours of darkness being beneficial to your plant)

But i did hear an interesting thought...

Cut your plants right after your dark period and your smoke will be smoother...

Cuz your plants have already used the nutrients they made during the light cycle(most newayz)

Sorry i know thats not what u wanted to hear, but better than nothing? lol

8. #8 popcorn18, Oct 20, 2009

Haha no, all info is good thanks, just lookin for a brainstorming session I guess.

Thanks
    Anyone else have an idea, about my question posted above. Do you do it, or do you not do it? Why?

9. depending on your setup & the number of plants you are going to harvest. i would just do it to half of the crop. then dry and cure them separately. then do a smoke report and judge them both. idk just my 2 cents

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mother nature doesn't exist in a closet...

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 popcorn18, Oct 20, 2009
    Well my plants have been in the dark about 30 hours now. still kinda torn on weather to take them out now or wait alittle longer. haha. I think ill pull them out tomorrow morning

12. i read on another thread somewhere about some guy named the wizard from northern cali, and i'm pretty sure it was 72 hours. you'd have to check on that before you take my word though.

13. #13 popcorn18, Oct 20, 2009

I think Ive heard of some people doing something like that too.
    Thanks more to think about, maybe I will wait longer HaHa.

Now ive heard everything from total bullshit to 72 hours. its great

• Like Like x 1
  14. i have read here on the outdoor forums so idk if it is true with artificial light but the sunlight degrades the surface THC and the plant replenishes it at night so harvesting early morning is ideal, idk how much truth there is just hearsay.....

15. that seems reasonable. i might actually beleive that...

16. MJ plants do continue to produce THC while in dark cycles. When you turn you lights on in the morning it triggers them to think it is another day and to continue normal flowering patterns. I believe this started because people wanted to get the most from their plants during the VERY end of it's life, without turning lights on and pushing a plant any further in flowering mode. I have never read in any cultivation books or heard that there are any hard facts to back it up. It is something I have always done, something I learned from some older growers when I first started growing. my two cents.

17. makes sense to me i belive ill be trying this with my harvest coming up/

18. kinda what i was thinking, How long do you keep them in the dark

19. idk about any method has been proven more than another method, but everything i have ,done, heard, read etc.. is about the same 24 hours, ive heard 36 is the perfect number i dont know why. but the reasoning has allready been said for the reasoning of tricking the plant to push everything out in last efforts of pollenation. What i do is harvest in the morning. so darkness before and after harvest is best because any light will break down the thc.= less potent

20. The main objective of indoor growing is to replicate mother natures nurturing arms as much as possible. Turning out the lights will do nothing, although the original poster has gone with his plan to turn out the lights prior to harvest, I cannot make him do what is best for his plants.

Granted I may have jumped overboard in my original post, its simply because I've seen so much bad advice lately. It just gets tiring after a while.