24/7 or 18/6?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mad4reef, Dec 12, 2005.

1. I have read a lot of posts that suggest starting the plants of with 24/7 light. I have also read a few posts that suggest 18/6 or some other variation. Does anyone have a full proof recomendation for the amount of light to use in the first few weeks of veg?

2. I use 18/6 for two reasons:

1) My biology-major roommate told me once that in general, plants grow the most in darkness. During the light they're collecting a lot of energy, and in the dark they spend it on growth.

2) Saves electricity by 25%.

3. The more light, the faster the plant will grow. You leave the lights on for 24 hours and it will keep producing food and growing.... 18/6 light schedule gives the plant ample time to grow without running up your electric bill with those extra 6 hours. It all depends. In order for it to be 18/6 you either have to buy a timer or make sure you set a schedule for when you go and turn the lights on/off.

4. Wow, thanks for the fast replies.

I am using 18/6 right now. I am not too concerned about an electricity spike (I am using CFL's at the moment and they shouldn't be using more energy than say a computer). I also have a digital timer on it, so setting any light cycle and sticking to it is not a problem.

I am a week into my grow and everything looks good so far. When should I adjust the light cycle again?

5. Depends on how big you want your plants. I'd start flowing (turn the light schedule to 12/12) when they were 12-14".

6. You can switch to 12/12 whenever you feel like starting the flowering process. The longer you wait, the larger your final plant will be and the more bud you'll get. Most people wait until it's a foot or so tall, but it depends on what kind of grow you're doing and what space you have.

7. what grow method are you using? anything like scrog or lst?

8. Thanks for the replies guys.

I am just using a standard hydro grow. I may experiment with SCROG or SOG in future grows, but I think I am just going to let them grow and see what happens this time.