24/0 to 18/6??? Please help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by skyhigh Skyler, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Hello I am a California patient who is a newbie to growing and had a quick question if anyone can help. I have 3 clones in solo cups under a 400w hid. I have been running 24/0 for the first week and was wondering if it would hurt to change them to 18/6 or if it's to late to do so. Any help??

Sent from my C6522N using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. No. No harm. They'll be okay.

3. wouldn't hurt them as long as you are not switching back and forth. why the change though? unless heat is an issue, they do not require a lights off period until flowering ;)

4. The lights off period helps them developed roots better. Ive had them on 24/0 before and they just started falling over. I run 18/6 the whole tine until flower

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290240-Berry-bomb,-afghan-kush,-pineapple-chunk-grow-update.-Thoughts-welcome

5. Thanx for the replies. I want to go to 18/6 because I'm using a coat closet in the living room of my apartment. I keep the door cracked open with my a.c. set at 75. I must leave the door open since I have no tubeing for the HID Just a desk fan strapped to blow into one of the cooling holes. It lights up my whole apartment at night though, just with a lil crack of the door open, even when covered with a dark blanket. I'm legal but still dnt want anyone asking questions. My roots are fine though, rooted all the way through, Guna transplant soon. I used transparent solo cups so I can keep track of root development, keeping them covered with black Sox as not to allow light to hit root of course.

I had some more questions about heat stress. One of my clones looked just about dead when I got it home, keeled over more than half way down. I planted anyway and she perked back up after a day. She has good roots that are continually developing, nut has no new growth lopsided(central stem getting longer though) while as the others have already developed 4 or 5 nodes. She had bad leaf damage when she perked back up. The others are looking so amazing and she is just looking scraggly. What should I do??

6. I gave a good idea with the post before this about what I'm working with. But I was wondering, the HID sits about 15inches above the top of the plants, I've been told it should be 20, however it does not burn my hand in the slightest when I hold it level with the tops. Should I drop them down a bit? Will it shock them if I move them a foot or so away?

7. Foot or so lower

8. The one that isn't growing could be because it's been under a bit of stress and is still catching up.  If it has roots, it will probably shoot up in the end.

9. I just dropped them down about 4 inches or so further from the light, it won't cause any harm will it??

10. I'm running 24/0 and my girls are big and beautiful op why the change? Besides the obvious answer everyone gives about 24/0 are your girls doing bad?

11. no they are doing great. Was worried about the way it was noticeably lighting my entire apartment. I moved them from the storage closet in my living room to the closet in my bedroom, now it's not nearly as noticeable at night. I have been told to go to 18/6 before I flower so was thinking probably a week before. But girls are lookin great!

12. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290240-Berry-bomb,-afghan-kush,-pineapple-chunk-grow-update.-Thoughts-welcome

13. Let me try again lol copy and paste.
    Ive got a few grows under my belt and for some reason, I completely didn't think about using transparent solos. I starts my seedlings in them without covering the cups. The roots were all exposed lol. It blew my mind that I didn't notice that. But im in the same situation actually. 3 plants in my coat closet in my living room lol
    Best thing to do with the runt is let her be. Ive been there with one im doing now.
    CHECK OUT MY GROW AND SEE HOW I VENTED THE CLOSET IF YOU WANT. PRETTY NIFTY. GHETTO BY A LONG SHOT BUT IT WORKS LOL.
    sorry for yelling. Didn't mean to cap lol

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290240-Berry-bomb,-afghan-kush,-pineapple-chunk-grow-update.-Thoughts-welcome

14. I've been following url grow. It venting is better than mine lol. Maybe I'll post some pics tomorrow. The runt is actually starting to come back, looking pretty good actually. But when you water are you supposed to get run off every time? My plants seem a bit over watered. I wait till they dry up pretty good maybe a quarter inch down, but try to get just a lil run off every time. Just wondering if it's that I'm using to much water when I go to water.

15. I dont always do a run off. But I dont do the finger test either. I feel the pot every other day to see if its light or not. I dont believe in the finger test because the top could be dry from the lights and the bottom can still be soaked. I only do a run off every now and then when I feel like it needs it. I usually just water until it feels somewhat heavy again. Thanks! The venting took me no time. Pippy is working on her third set of nodes now.

16. That cardboard was a good idea. Before I moved my setup into my bedroom I was just leaving the door of my closet open with the ducting hanging out over the door with a blanket covering the light. Gotta say pretty ingenious.
    Also was Guna ask, how much wind is to much? I set up a fan to get some circulation, however it does not oscillate. The plants aren't in direct wind, but their leaves have a gentle constant rocking.

17. I didn't see your reply sorry about that bud. Thanks it didn't take any time at all lol seems like it wont last long tho. Im in the same shoes with the fan. Mine doesnt oscillate so I just have ot on low and on a timer. It kicks off when. My lights do for now. Just to give them time to kind of heal I guess. I have mine directly on the plants by on low from a distance. A slow rock is good. Youre supposed to immediately start them on a fan so that way they actually grow up with the wind and have thick stems lol. Its just so damn hard to find fans this time of year. Your babies will do just fine.