220V environment

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by desertdog, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Hello,

Anyone in Europe or elsewhere growing indoor with 220V electricity issues?

Looking to meet anyone who has dealt with buying equipment that can be used on 220V without adaptors.

Thanks

Kisses xxxx

2. what 220V electricity issues?

make you own COB light

as most can run on 12-18 volts easy

3. When I google search COB I went to the weird part of the internet where strange things happen.

Can you explain it to me like I'm 10 years old please? Less initials more dumming down.

4. what problems are you envisioning 220v causing?

Follow up question- do you actually mean 220? The places Iv assumed you might be from your posts, are as far as Im aware nominally 230v.
    Off the top of my head I can only think of one 220 in that region, and if your there your growing exploits are even more brave than we thought.

5. COB- Chip on board
    as opposed to SMD- surface mount device.

SMD is LEDs (light emitting diodes) soldered directly on to a PCB (printed circuit board) COB is a chip that has an array of multiple LEDs. Confused enough yet?

6. I am too drunk on bootleg wine to understand this ^ but I'll read it again in the morning. Good night, xoxo

7. I have ordered some materials including the listed below.

I have serious concerns about the electricity situation in my country of residence.

Please see the pics below which are electric sockets where I plugged in 240 v heaters last winter.

I am expecting the lighting system to arrive with North American standard 110 V wiring. I can get a transformer to the 220/200/240 v systems but I am still concerned there could be a fire.

I want to get an electrician in to wire up the lamp I have ordered (specs below). My only plausible cover story is that I will have an aquarium to keep a reptile.

Any ideas for a better cover story for what to say to an electrician, or ideas of how an 110V system will interact with the local power system would be useful.

IMG_1708.jpg IMG_1708.jpg

• iPower GLSETX400DHMCT6 400-Watt Light Digital Dimmable System for Plants - Air Cooled Tube Set

Attached Files:

8. You really should have got European / UK stuff then all you'd need to do would be change the plug.

Iv not looked at the link, an additional concern would be the frequency. North America use 60hz, Europe and the majority of places I'm assuming you might be use 50hz. Digital dimmers strike me as the type of thing that might be fussy about that given the way they work is tied to the waveform of the power.
    Changing frequency, if it's needed, is a big deal, the equipment is expensive, hard to find, pretty inefficient, would probably need cooling at that load even in my climate... Just a bad idea.

If it is just voltage you probably need a bigger step down transformer than you think. Those small ones that are meant for builders tools etc will say it does x watts, expect that to be about a 10% lie anyway, then the fine print will say something like 1/4 duty cycle meaning for 15 minutes run flat out it needs 45 to cool down, for tools this is normally fine you drill a few minutes, stop a bit, Move about, start again, it's fine. For lighting that needs to be on for hours at a time it won't work. I have seen these melt before.
    By the time you've found somthing that is either so oversized it dosnt mind running constant at say 5% load or one with 100% duty cycle it's a) going to be expensive and b) you risk killing the little labourer boy who has to carry a 200kg lump of metal up your stairs to then find it dosnt fit through your door.
    I'd also say 95% of the electricians here wouldn't know where to source a tranny of that size, so good luck there.

9. ^^ Once again my attempt at botany leads me to drink heavily and sulk in failure

• Like Like x 1
  10. So iv been going around with a feeling in my head that there was something weird about that picture that I hadnt placed. And its just hit me that those sockets, in addition to being fucking weird, arnt the ones I thought you'd have. which may change answers to questions like this.

If thats what I think it is (the dual 10/16amp Type L,or at least was until before it got overloaded) am I right in thinking that puts you in a country with two stars on the middle row of its flag? (I appreciate your security issues, hence asking in such a round about way, if you really want you could answer that by pm which id delete right after reading).

Iv googeled that light/dimmer, its listed on the uk version of amazon as claiming to do 120 and 240v, presuming you got the same model and theres not a few international variants Id take that to mean its a switch-mode power supply before the dimming, no mention of frequency. So It could well be just a matter of changing a plug or fining a travel adaptor meant for americans visiting italy/chillie/uraguay/maldieves.

11. "am I right in thinking that puts you in a country with two stars on the middle row of its flag"

Wilflet,
    If I was in Syria I would hop on my Sportsman ATV and roll out. Pronto.

However, you seem to have the electrical engineering knowledge I really need.

I'm going to send you a PM since I think you might be able to help me with my electricity dilemma, Mr Smarty Pants.

12. Well thats good to know. youve got some sense left at least :p

strugling to think of anywhere else with deserts that (officially) uses type L sockets... however the list of countries with deserts that I wouldnt be surprised to find socket types the IEC claims they dont use there.. well its pretty much all of the countries with deserts.

13. On the question of a better cover story, you can easily say your going to grow your own vegetables indoors. Allot of people do that. And use the same equipment we do for cannabis