200 watt Grow light Question.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by billabong420, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I recently found this "200 watt CFL grow light system" for very cheap but i emailed the owner and he said that the thatlight consumes 42 watts but puts out an equivelant of a 200 watt bulb. Would it be worth it to buy this light. is it 42 watts or 200? it was 54$ american before tax and shipping. thanks.

2. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure thats just another way of calling it a 42 watt CFL. The cfl only takes 42 watts but it puts out the same amount of light as a normal 200 watt bulb. The rule of thumb I go by is at least 75 watts per Sqaure foot. So for example if you had a sqaure foot of grow area you would need two of those lights. You would have 84 total watts. The watts their equal to doesn't matter. And I just bought a 42 watt CFL the other day, myself, and I only payed $9.95 for it.

3. Yeah, 54 bucks sounds really expensive. Does it come with a reflector or something?

4. Not worth it. It's just like a 11W CFL that says it's a 60W equivilant. When using CFLs, you measure using the actual wattage, not the equivilant. And since 28W CFLs are only $5, you could spend $10 and get just as much light.

5. Yea thats what i thought, it comes with a power cord and reflector.

alright.

ANd one more question. would four 30 watt tube flourecents and one 70 watt hps grow one or two plants.

6. ya that would grow a bomb plant but im pretty sure u can get 40 watt tubes too do that :)

7. 4x30 + 70 = 190W

You could grow a couple plants with that. But if I were you, I'd just bump it up to a 250W HPS and forget the flouros.