~20 days old and the tips are yellowing......

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by headiebudz, Apr 29, 2011.

1. #1 headiebudz, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
    What up GC. I am doing my first hydro grow and this morning I noticed that one of my leaves was slightly drooping and the very tip of it was yellow. I also have some yellowing on the tips of one other leaf. So with that said what is wrong?

PPM= 548
    pH= hard to say with my test kit, but ~5.8-6.3. I need a digital in a bad way.
    Running bubble buckets with GH nutes with lucas formula. Started them off at .4ml and .8ml per gallon of micro and bloom.

After doing some reading I think it might be they are hungry and I should up the nutes, but i am going to see what your opinions are first. Let me know what you think. Thanks again GC.

-Budz

Attached Files:

2. Its either ph, my guess, or ppm related

Is the ph droping? Get a ph pen

If the ph is droping reduce the ppm

3. Gotta get your ph under control before you can make logical conclusion as to exactly what is going on.

I'm a dirtbagger and can't speak to hydro but a ph of 6.3 is dirt and not even close to where you need to be for hydro. At that ph, for sure you got a bad case of lockout, which is more than likely what you are seeing the beginning of with your leaf tips.

A digital ph pen on costs like $20, and after you buy the calibration solutions (get both 4 and 7/10) you are at $30.

eSeasonGear FreeShipping!

4. Thanks for the info. i am going to get a digital for sure, either today or tomorrow. i know that 6.3 is high, but I put that at the high end. I am using one of those color change test kits. And actually now that I look at it again I did it wrong.

The color is orange which on my chart shows a pH of either 4 or 5 depending on how orange it is. God these things are terrible. So now I guess the pH is actually being lowered. Should I add more fresh pH corrected water?

5. Also should be noted that the pictures are all of the same tip. That is the only tip out of the 2 plants that has yellowed. Don't know if that helps.

6. Looks like nute burn, but I totally agree with tihspeed...

When growing hydro ph is king...you'll have to make sure it's straight before you can begin to diagnose anything...

Here's some interesting info on ppm...you can use this as a bit of a guide even if you're not using the lucas formula...

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/613139-lucas-formula-2-0-how-maximize-lucas-formula.html

7. Also, if you have a digital ballast -

DO NOT PUT A PH PEN WITHIN 6 FEET OF THE BALLAST.

It phucques them up. :) I learned that the hard way. :eek:

8. Thanks for the link man. That explanation makes sense. I am using the Lucas formula and I will try this lethod now and see if this is an easier. Thanks again for all the info and help GC. I might try and go out today and get a digital meter, but I don't have many LHS around me so it makes it kind of hard. Any other suggestions as to where i would get one besides the internet? Lowes/HD/Wal-Mrt?

9. I don't yet but that is some solid info to retain for future use. Thanks a lot.:hello:

10. You must have a decent hydro shop around...they're everywhere 'round here...

Grad your yellow pages and try make a few phone calls...

11. Unfortunately for me I don't have that luxury. I wish we had more around me. There is one that I have been to on occasion but that is like 40 mins away. I will look around and try to find another though. thanks again GC.