2 pump hydro system question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Grow Addict, Mar 15, 2015.

1. When my system drains there is still around 2 inches of standing water left behind until the next cycle due to drain position and I am afraid I will get root rot. Is there a way to levitate the roots in a five gallon bucket or some sort of separator?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

2. u want some in the bottom, all systems have it..I asked the same thing 7 years ago at a grow store then asked price, then walked out. As long as the water is moving IN AND OUT it wont rot the roots.  DWC can rot a root in days. the bubbles dont shit for agitaiton

since then my drain has come way up into the medium...unless ALL your roots are all at the bottom its ok

3. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

4. #4 str8jacket, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
    Are you talking about a flood and drain system?

If so, there should not be any water left in the bottom after it drains (proper draining is a very import part of E&F).

'All systems have it'? That is not true. There are dual pump bucket E&F systems that are basically a cross between DWC and E&F, that don't drain completely, but they are a far cry from 'all systems' when it comes to E&F.

2 inches is a lot of standing water.

If it isn't draining properly, why not fix the problem instead of trying to work around it? Starting a grow with a flawed system is a heck of a handicap to work with, and extremely counterproductive.

5. the thick plastic premade systems Ebb and flow have a support by the drain or drains that comes up from the bottom of the top tray....the grommet that you stick in there can trap water....why is it not ok to have some roots in water? And how are you supposed to silicone a piece of PVC RIGHT WHERE ITS FASTENED TO THE TOP tank? you cant. you stick the pvc INTO the container a half an inch or so and silicone the shit out of it.....

If you dont know where my info is coming from try saving 450 dollars and have 1/4 inch of water at the bottom or its going to leak

6. we should have just asked what system hes got and why theres SO much at the bottom...u are right str8 2 inches is a little much.

If its DIY then re-silicone the drain at the lowest level you can  As time proceeds the weight on the slicone can cause issues when it leaks i slather more silicone on there like mayo. If its one you bought maybe its not put together right?