2 plants 2 problems

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thundercunt, Sep 17, 2013.

1. #1 thundercunt, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
    hey so i've got 2 issues, i have a gigabud plant that broke ground on september 1st, i fucked up and had to transplant early which was a catastrophe and i though i killed the plant, but she started growing again putting out new leaves everyday, now it seems like growth has slowed and the edges of the older leaves are turning black and are becoming crispy(ish), and i think the newer leaves are starting to turn color too

my second problem is with my other plant, an automatic super hash which broke ground on september 3rd, she was doing great until a few days ago when she went from nice leaves reaching for the light to leaves drooped to the dirt that are turning yellow (this happened in a matter of hours btw) and now the leaves are starting to make a 180 degree turn back towards the stem, i thought the drooping was because of over-watering but after 2 days it didnt get better i gave her some water and nothing has changed (and i checked the soil, it was dry when i watered her most recently)

pics are crap because i dont own a camera or a smart hone, just a webcam. 1st picture is of the gigabud in a smart pot and the other 2 are of the auto super hash in a solo cup

Attached Files:

2. Any pics would help, whether they are shitty quality or not. Sounds like heat stress or drainage problems since they are still young and not in need of nutes yet. What is your setup like? Out/indoor? Grow space dimensions? Temps ? Lighting ? Soil? etc. 

3. heat stress is unlikely and i also have alot of holes in the auto super hashes solo cup and the gigabud is in a 1 gallon smart pot,this is an indoor grow in my closet, i have 10 23watt bulbs for 3 plants, temps are around 80-83 degrees (i have a thermometer under the lights) during lights on, i have a fan blowing on them 20 hours a day, soil is ffof but its cut with about 20-25 percent perlite, and dimensions of the closet are 3.5 feet wide, 10 feet long and 7 feet high

4. Also, you'll notice there isn't any yellowing on the super hash like i described and thats because the leaves became so frail that i touched them and they started flaking off so i clipped them.

5. Get those pics up if you can. Sounds like a high amount of possible problems : bad genetics, pests, nute burn from FFOF, root rot, no ventilation, etc. Your setup sounds good though. I think you should get some pics up ASAP to help assess the situation. 

6. #6 Ẅest Čoast, Sep 17, 2013
    Can't tell with those pics. Get some light in the room and take the pics again. but that plant is too small to be watering every 2 days.

Give us more info...soil type? what kind of light are you giving it? are you using nutrients?

7. pics are up on my original post, they suck tho.

my ventilation is kinda bad, i live in a basement room with one window i keep open 24/7 but its about 20 feet away from my setup, i have a fan in the doorway of the closet sucking in any air it can and moving it around my closet, then during lights off i close the door and put the fan in my window to pull fresh air in for 4 hours, genetics might be possible, i read bad reviews of gigabud all over the place and i cant find much info on the super hash strain guess i should have researched more before i bought seeds, pests arent likely, im so obsessed with these plants all i do is look at them and i have only seen one fly in the closet that i killed immediately, nute burn is possible but i read of so many people using ffof from the start and just cutting it with perlite like i did

8. any more light and the camera gets blinded

9. Get some light on the plant itself and don't point the camera directly at the light.

10. just tried it, it's a webcam, thats the best it's going to get

11. #11 Ẅest Čoast, Sep 17, 2013
    OK, give us more info...what kind of lights are you using? and are you giving them nutrients? how old are the plants?

edit: didn't see the post giving light information.

12. Assuming it isn't bad genetics, the top two culprits for me are heat stress and/or nute burn.

You've got a lot of bulbs, although the usual recommendation is to keep them within a couple of inches of the plants, they will be collectively so warm and the plant so small, it might be overwhelming them.  If they are very close, try moving them away to more like 6-10 inches until the plants are bigger.

If it were nute burn from the soil, I'm not sure if they would survive a flush or not, but there might be some value in flushing an empty pot, drying it out, and transplanting into that soil.  Not sure.

You're not feeding it anything extra are you?  Or messing with your water pH?

13. ive got 10 23watt cfl's about 3 inches away from the plants, no nutrients the gigabud is only 16 days old and the auto super hash is only 14 days old

ok ill move them farther away from there lights, when it comes to flushing and transplanting i dont think i can do that as the root system is probably not holding onto enough soil yet being that they are so small still. and no im not feeding it anything or messing with my tapwaters ph.

15. #15 Ẅest Čoast, Sep 17, 2013
    I think you have a few things going on here. First, the stress from both plants breaking when they were transplanted. Second, over-watering. Third, possibly more stress from the heat. I know cfls are unlikely to create enough heat to stress the plants, but having 10 of them just might do it. So move the bulbs a bit higher as mentioned above and don't water so often. When you water, just make sure all of the soil is saturated evenly and then leave it for 4-5 days. Don't worry about the top layer drying out. It will still be plenty moist 2-3" inches below where your root ball is.

Thanks i just moved the lights, also just to clarify, only the gigabud got transplanted, the auto super hash is still in it's cup, also im going to stop watering as much.

17. #17 howando, Sep 17, 2013
    Yeah remember, you've basically got a 230w HPS!  Just because they are low energy bulbs doesn't mean they don't add up! ;)

The one in the big pot, that's so small it can't drink all the water that you're going to put in to make the soil moist, so start out thinking that you're going to have to water that less than once a week right now.  The small one in the cup, it's more likely that it can drink the smaller amount of water that you put in there, so maybe that does want watering every 4-5 days.

But DO NOT give yourself some strict watering schedule.  Check the soil, about an inch under the surface, and decide if it's wet or dry, then water them if they are actually in need of it.

18. pH is one of the most basic things to consider. I don't know of anything that can F up your plants faster than bad pH. Different strains can have different tolerances for fluctuating pH levels so it might look different in each plant you have. Don't trust your tap water depending on where you live the pH can very from 6.0 - 8.0 and the acceptable range for soil should be 5.9-6.4. You can lower the pH easily by adding a few drops per gallon of lemon juice, but if you're planning on growing much more get a meter or a test kit. PH is probably the most overlooked parameter by new growers.
    You probably wont get heat stress if you're using CFL's. And you can't get nut lock if you're not using nutes.

19. Soil, especially soil rich in humus, can regulate the pH well enough a lot of the time.  Problems with pH usually come from using nutrients, or if the water that you are using is way off, the soil you started with particularly acid (which I believe FF is, from what I've heard), or by worrying too much about the pH and constantly adjusting it until it's "perfect".

The plants actually release ions from their roots that change the pH of the soil, both up and down, throughout different parts of the day, and that is perfectly natural.

It is worth testing the pH of your water and your runoff, especially if you use any additives, but generally speaking as long as it is between 6.0 and 8.0 and the plants look healthy, you're probably best off leaving it be.  Obviously your plants are sick right now and pH may be a problem.  But even if it is, don't become obsessed with it all through the grow, keep an eye on it by all means but don't drive yourself mad with it unless there's a problem.