2@400 or 1@1000

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NotChuckNorris, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 6x6x7 closet with 3 bubble bucket white widow grown SOG. Should I use 2 400 watt lights to cover area better or 1 1000 watt for more total light?

2. 2x400,id say with sog u need an even spread of light more than penetration

3. Neither will properly cover all 36 sq ft.

4. good point

5. So, you would be wanting each 400 to cover a footprint of 6x3, right? That's 400w or 50,000 lumens over 18 sq ft, which works out to 22 watts or 2,800 lumens per sq ft, against rules of thumb of 100 watts or 5,000 lumens per sq ft. With HID you can go a little lower on those rules of thumb, and you would cover a good part of each 6x3 area pretty well, but not out at the fringes.

You could rotate your plants every day or two, so that each spends some time directly under the light and some time on the fringes, and that will work, but you won't be maximizing all of that space.

6. really cant argue with math can I. I wanted to go SOG for the yield and just wanted to try something new. Perhaps if I shrunk the net size to 5x5 or just gave up on SOG and went for hight I can only have three plants at time right now. What would you do with that space? leaning sativa, prefer the high

7. Get some plywood, line one side of it with mylar or paint flat bright white, put some sort of "foot" on them so they can stand on their own, then use them as walls to pen in that space to more like 4x3 under each light...

8. Really appreciate the help Toasty,
    I will have three plants total as that is what the law allows. The space is a closet in master bedroom. Heat is not much of a concern as I plan to vent the hell out of closet with both intake and exhaust on the roof of the home. The room will be covered in either white mylar plastic or the reflective "foil" i see in other peoples pics. which is subject of my next post. But lighting first. Is there a lighting system that would deliver the necessary watts for three plants. SOG method sounds like fun to try but does not have to be done. This is long-term investment so I do not mind spending the extra to do it right.

9. What would the ideal grow area be for three white widow grown SCROG be? I guess that will help me better determine lighting needs. I try to look this stuff up but always get sidetracked all the info.