1st time grow, very inexpensive setup

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Danny96, Jun 24, 2016.

1. First time growing cannabis and would like input on how my plant is doing.. I know it's very early in the plants life and forgive me for my cheapness, but I have to make do with what is presented to me.. my plant is about 16-17 days old and stretched I think a little.. but overall seems to be growing decently.. it is currently growing in a standard white styrofoam cup filled with dirt gathered from the wilderness at my buddies ranch, and (unfortunately) a tad bit of MG Potting mix (literally very scarcely spread atop the soil). I know I will need a better set-up very soon when the plant begins to grow more.. but I can't shake the feeling that it is growing at a much slower pace than it should be. ( I made a couple of test grows with two bagseeds with the same dirt and (scarce MG) as the dro seed I am currently posting about. I water them about two days out of the week or when the dirt drys to the point that it crumbles at the top and is hard to break up when gently squeezing the cup. Also, every Monday I water the plant with a 16.9 Oz water bottle (which I added two drops of ST to). Recently I started feeding the plant the ST inriched water during the second week. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I would however like a second opinion. 1466752652995631548757.jpg 146675294638033288433.jpg 146675294638033288433.jpg 1466752652995631548757.jpg 146675294638033288433.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. lights are prob the most important part of the grow, what lights ya using. bud size depends on your lights

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yer she's stretching for those lumens alright aha, I'd personally say she's rather small id expect this size after a day or two once potted.

Like jackeman said lights are very important, is your using CFL try a minimum of 100 watts per plant. Good start bro

4. That's exactly what I was thinking! So I moved her closer to the light (as well with the other plants, and it then sprouted her first pair of leaves. As I said before, I have been using what was presented to me.. I have been using a full spectrum daylight bulb that I had originally bought for my aquarium ( which I would've used to grow in if I wasn't in present need of descretion lol) it says it is a 24" 17 watt lamp.. but I also have another bulb that originally came with the light, I just thought that this light would be better because it has all the different spectrum colors ( I know I will need a red spectrum light for flowering).

5. You can grow a plant with the cheap stuff, but don't expect to get much out of it. The quality of what you grow totally depends on the light you grow under. You're going to have to upgrade quite a bit just to get to a decent level with fluorescent bulbs to get the plant to grow much at all. Go to the beginner grower threads on the forum. For some reason, they're wayyyyyyyy down toward the bottom on the forums page, but in those are some "sticky's". These contain the basic info you need to start out and actually get something for all your hard work and worry. Depending on the strain and if you can keep it alive, this should turn into a large plant. But if you don't get some stronger lighting over it, it's not going to do anything but get top heavy and fall over at some point. LOL But if you want to grow, you need to take the time to learn the "how to" part of it...or how to tend the plant along with what the plant needs to be healthy and vibrant. If you can't put that together in an indoor situation, you would be better off just using your setup to start some seeds for next year's outdoor season and plan something using the sun. The poorer the lighting, the poorer the results. Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 1
  6. Invest in the plant to get better results.
    If you do want to grow then I'd look things up, spend a few bucks to get better and learn along the way.

My bet is in a year or two you might have a joint on there :p jokes man lol

7. Do you guys think I would get a good mix going 25% Miracle Grow Organic Choice and 75% of that same dirt? I am transplanting to a bigger pot, and thought about doing that maybe? If it would be a good change?

8. Hey bud ha, see what I did there?
    I am gonna assume that your in a part of the world that has nothing but miracle grow?, I used miracle grow for some time outdoors years ago, and although I grew some giant healthy plants with it, it really is a shitty soil, but that's not the only reason we don't use it, the people who own the world, ahem, I mean run Monsanto are into some pretty dark stuff from everything I have read and seen, I digress.

I would say no st or whatever nutrients you were talking about for a while, get some aeration in that soil, perlite works good, I use about 35%, but it works well for me, get the light way up close to your plant, and then get your self over to the new grower threads and stickies and read and read some more, you will need something more than 17 watts , Google minimum wattage for single plant, best of luck
    Boom

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks man, and yeah your right lol its hard to find a good soil without it being a miracle grow product or have some long time release nute formulas...I guess since it's so damn scorching hot.. . So your saying a 35% perlite and the rest being dirt is a good mix? I know the perlite loosens up the soil and gives the roots more air. How much would I have to spend to get a pretty decent light? Like what's a good light at a good price? I was pondering here next to my plant when I decided to check it out with my flashlight on my phone.. I noticed that under the leaves, there are a lot of crystals forming, and on the stems too. That's good right? Lol