1st time grow, pictures included, looking for advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bogieslug, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I put a seed i got from my dealer in a cup with dirt and just threw it by the window hoping it would sprout/grow so i could start my first grow.

It is currently in shitty dirt.
    I am looking for recomdations on the soil to use, lights to use, timing on the lights, as well as fertilizer.

i will post pictures as she grows.
    i plan on moving it fully indoors with grow lights as the only lighting.
    Any recomdations and help is appreciated.

I am also thinking about cloning it in the future.

20130224_022134.jpg
    Hopefulyy shes really a she!

2. It did.....

you need to get some light on that before it falls over. At least a couple cfl's at 6500-6800k.

3. how many do u prefer, im getting a shopping cart ready for this upcoming weekend, waiting on the paycheck friday

4. I use hid lighting, a lot of people use cfls. How big is your budget for this project.

5. looking for less than 100$ bucks but anywhere around there

6. Ya you will need cfls for that money there are some good stickies on cfl check them out.

7. yup getting cfls forsure, a few of em.... anyone wanna save me some searching time and give me the timing on the lights? how many hours daylight, complete darkness- during vegetation and flowering please. and would i use the same lights for flowering? im just trying to plan ahead haha

8. #8 dlpjr, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
    You veg 18/6 or 24 that's 18 on 6 off or just leave the lights on 24/7. You use 6800 - 6500k to veg and 2700k to flower. The box of bulbs will say on it what they are, get the ones with the highest number of lumens. You will flower on a sch of 12/12, that's 12 on 12 off. When the lights are off no light should get to your plants. When your flowering.

Keep the cfls close to the plant, you can get these lights real close, like an inch. Have a fan blowing air on the plant. It will help cool it and strengthen it. Your plant is streaching real bad, you may want to add soil to support it. If it keeps growing like that it will fall over.

9. #9 bogieslug, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
    awesome, that is absolutly clears my mind on the lights. now the only other questions i have i guess is the ph level in the soil, what kind of testers do u guys usually use? the ph page is kind of confusing makes it way to hard

10. does anyone have any reccomdations on types of soil to buy?

11. If your in the US I'd go for fox farms or happy frog, in canada a good brand is natures mix. MG is okay depending on who you ask...

For PH just get some test strips from a pet store or something.

Your going to want some perlite for the soil too. Helps soil drainage and makes it lighter.

12. #12 peacehappy, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    Also to make it easier just get a $20 bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest at your Hydroponic Store or order online. When you water your plant make sure you leave the water your going to use out for 24 hours so all the chlorine evaporates, and the ph will even itself out if your using tap water. *assuming u live in city* (if in the country & have well water you don't even have to leave water out 24 hrs prior.) Also people use Distilled water or bottled water *just more expensive*. I had my grow on a $100 budget and it looked like this,
    3 CFL Bulbs - 3 @ 100watt 6700k (cool lights) - $20 + Hoods were $10 per bulb. = $50
    Nutrients from Ebay 20N-20P-20K w/ Micro Nutes - $10
    Fox Farm Ocean Forest - $25 and is reusable because it is organic soil.
    that is $85 and i spent another $50 for Flower cycle so I could get 3 more CFLs @ 100w 2400k (warm) w/ hoods, remember you don't have to buy hoods for lights, just helps get more focused light on plant. Lots of people just hang their CFLs by an extension cord and plug in sockets so you would save $60 if you didn't buy the hoods. So the budget adds up to $95

13. alright its been one week, shes just been in window sunlight for a week and she is lookin great. i will be posting an updated picture.
    Also today is payday!! gonna get my supplies saturday for the grow.
    btw i live in the chicago burbs and idk how shes growing so good haha, its been snowing outside the past 3 days, shitty weather and sunlight

14. 20130228_130203.jpg
    day 7 complete

15. #15 Guest55445566, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    I grow Indica because I am interested in yeilds but I use two 600w HPS lamps. I have 9 plants under each in 3x3 squares. I use promix soil (Get it at Agway)and I VERY RARELY need to fertalize or adjust the PH. I use a Tallboy carbon filter and an inline fan which is ducted through the lights to cool them. I keep the lights on 24 hours (2 reasons: 1st, the power company wont see power spikes. 2nd, the more light they get the better they look in my opinion). Keep them at 80 degrees untill they are 5 feet tall then prune the bottom 4 fan leaves and switch the lights to 12/12. I harvest 3-4 lbs every 4 months and I never have a smell or any troubles.

16. damn that sounds like me dream plan haha, def will do my best to match that