1st LED Grow: HLG QB120 in 3K

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MomOnTheRun, Oct 2, 2017.

1. #1 MomOnTheRun, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Hey blades! I have been intrigued with LED's watching more and more grows with them so decided to give it a whirl. My first led light was a 300w corn pulling 38w.....
    sept 29th (12).jpg sept 29th (1).JPG

I put an LSD clone under it and she loved it! I became quite impressed.....
    june 27 (4).JPG july 13th (3).JPG july 15th (10).JPG july 31 (3).JPG

I built a 2x3x4 little cabinet so she had her own space though once she got into a 3gal pot, it wasn't enough light to keep her happy anymore so gave her away then sat with this empty space for awhile until I saw Tbones post's on his grow and more specifically this thread. I became excited and just had to try them out!
    driver.jpg qb and access.jpg

They came in (Friday) Sept 29th and got to work putting 2 boards together...... I did one and my 9 yr old son did the other and set one up in the little room.......
    sept 29th (3).JPG sept 29th (4).JPG sept 29th (5).JPG sept 29th (6).JPG sept 29th (7).JPG sept 29th (8).JPG sept 29th (9).JPG sept 29th (10).JPG sept 29th (11).JPG sept 29th (2).JPG

Today, I set them up properly and set a few plants from regular seeds under them after I transplanted them into 5" (1/2Gal) fabric pots with my soil mix........
    100_1676.JPG

3 Dominga (Kenai Kush x Arturo) ......
    October 1st (3).JPG October 1st (10).JPG
    2 Oh Yeh (Chemdog x Arturo) .......
    October 1st (4).JPG October 1st (11).JPG

Now we'll see how they grow with the lights ~12" above them before deciding how they will be used in the future. I am going to start with vegging them for ~4wks then sex them before repotting into 3 or 5 gal fabric pots :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  2. I looked at their pictures again seeing off colored spots so went in with a microscope.....thrips :cry: All of my bonsai plants have them....every single one except critical Super Silver Haze in flower :cry: I just had to bring chocolope inside ..... she must have been infested - dang it! Only 24 hrs into this and already an issue ((sigh)) oh well just gotta roll with it I suppose.

At lights out I soaked them with diluted neem oil then when lights came on, I heavily defoliated them removing leaves with the most eggs o_O

Before.......
    Oh Yeh on left; Dominga on right
    100_1677.JPG 100_1678.JPG
    After.......
    100_1679.JPG 100_1681.JPG

They are twigs now :blush: Guess I went a little overboard ah well it is what it is.....

I am going to hit them again with the neem oil every day for the next week as thats how long it'll be before spinosad gets here..... if anything i'll get rid of them and all of my lil bonsai clones and start over from seed - hopefully it doesn't come to that

3. ..... and 4 days later.......

Oh Yeh
    October 6th (1).JPG October 6th (2).JPG
    Dominga
    October 6th (3).JPG October 6th (4).JPG

They are recovering very well and haven't seen any thrips since the harsh defoliation and spraying them everyday with neem oil.....3 more days and I think I can back off to spraying them weekly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. How many boards?

5. Only one per shelf.... I am considering adding another per shelf but in 4k or have both 3k's on one shelf and 2 4k's on the other for when they get bigger and especially if I go ahead and try to flower them - dunno really. What would you do?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm guessing you won't be vegging them very long since you'll run out of space otherwise? If that's the case I'd run 2 3k boards on each shelf since you'll spend more time flowering than vegging.

If you do get 4k boards I'd run 1 3k and 1 4k per shelf since you don't have a separate veg area.

7. Oh I have other spaces....I have my bonsai mom's under flouro's in a 4'x3'x3' area and an empty 3x3x8 closet with a 400w hid. Just waiting for the other inline fan to come in to spark that room up but yes, I am wanting to keep these in this space while seeing what the boards can do so I can see if they'll be ok for smaller grows or use them to replace the flouro's..... may just do both :confused_2:

I was comparing the color spectrum in the temps and really don't see that much of a difference and got curious but your absolutely right.

I am going to wait a bit longer for their recovery then throw them into flower to sex them so I can remove the boys and put the girls in a 15gal fabric pot (one per shelf) with blumats :p Thankfully the boards come back in stock in the morning so it'll be good timing as it took ~2-2.5 wks to get to me the 1st time around

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alright! Tomorrow will be one week since they were put under these lights and heavy defoliation - look at em now......

Oh Yeh
    October 8th (1).JPG October 8th (2).JPG
    Dominga
    October 8th (3).JPG October 8th (4).JPG

They are LOVING these lights!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just after those pictures on Sunday, I topped all of the plants so they are the same height.....now 3 days later, here is their progress........

Oh Yeh
    October 11th (1).JPG October 11th (2).JPG

Dominga
    October 11th (3).JPG October 11th (4).JPG

I think we are back on track :p

10. Transplanted into 15 gallon fabric pots and hooked up blumats. Now to just get them dialed in, the other 2 boards and we'll be good to go.......
    October 14th (1).JPG

Oh Yeh
    October 14th (2).JPG

Dominga
    October 14th (3).JPG

I forgot to get black tape to wrap up all the clear tubing ah well a couple days won't hurt

• Like Like x 1
  11. Received another 2 QB120's!!! I put together one and set it up over Oh Yeh (on top shelf)......that whole corner is going to be even more blinding than what it already is. Pics don't do these lights justice but here is a pic of the difference between 1 board vs 2 boards in 2x3x4 spaces..........
    October 17th (3).JPG

That whole corner is a work in progress but the plants are loving it so far!

Oh Yeh
    October 17th (2).JPG October 17th (1).JPG
    Dominga
    October 17th (4).JPG October 17th (6).JPG

I am sold on these lights for veg and will be replacing my flouro's with them in the coming year. Now to see how they do in flower starting with Oh Yeh (Chemdog x Arturo)

12. #12 MomOnTheRun, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Both shelves now have 2 boards each! At 60 watts each board, I have 20 watts per sq ft going on each shelf......need sunglasses to look directly at the plants now :p

October 18th (1).JPG October 18th (3).JPG

I also noticed the clover seeds I sprinkled on the soil are already germinating......
    October 18th (4).JPG

While I was in the room, I changed Oh Yeh's light cycle to 12/12 so they'll get ~26 hrs of light between today and tomorrow....soon we'll find out what sex they are ;)

13. I'm all subscribed and looking forward to seeing how things go for you. Best o' luck!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome aboard :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oh Yeh is starting to push out pre-flowers! Its a bit early but I think I may have gotten lucky with 2 girls.......
    October 20th (1).JPG October 20th (2).JPG
    Left plant
    October 20th (3).JPG October 20th (4).JPG
    Right plant
    October 20th (5).JPG October 20th (6).JPG

We'll look again on Sunday ;)

The Dominga plants are about ready to be flipped for sex.....
    October 20th (9).JPG October 20th (10).JPG
    I think i'll do that on Sunday night/Monday morning. And just for giggles, here are pictures of the light coverage they are receiving.......
    October 19th (1).JPG October 19th (2).JPG October 19th (3).JPG
    These pics are of the top shelf but the bottom shelf lights are set up exactly the same

16. #16 MomOnTheRun, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Alright, looking at the Oh Yeh plants the one on the left is definitely a female.......
    October 22nd (12).JPG October 22nd (13).JPG
    and the one on the right is looking male......
    October 22nd (21).JPG October 22nd (22).JPG

Sooo the one on the right is going to taken out tomorrow, reset the lights back to 18/6 and set up a scrog net for the confirmed girl. I'll veg her til she fills out half of the screen then flip her to flower.

I have been thinking (almost obsessing) over the watts per square foot..... 20w just doesn't seem enough but clueless about leds. So relying on k's, actual watts and what will fit in this space, bought 2 Lights of America 12w under the counter 24" leds in 5000k. Unfortunately, 1 had faulty wiring and sent out a spark so that one is going back tomorrow but here is how the one looks........
    October 22nd (40).JPG October 22nd (41).JPG
    I think i'll put 2 of these on each side and have them turn on 2 hrs before the qb's and off 2 hrs before the qb's.... this will give:

48w (8 w per sq ft) blue spectrum "sunrise"
    168w (28 w per sq ft) mixed spectrum "daytime"
    120w (20w per sq ft) red/yellow spectrum "sunset"

Edited to fix my math

• Like Like x 1
  17. Got rid of the Oh Yeh looking male, hooked up the other 3 under the cabinet 12w leds and put together a scrog.......
    100_2021.JPG 100_2022.JPG 100_2023.JPG 100_2024.JPG
    100_2025.JPG 100_2027.JPG

I doubt the side lighting will make a difference but they are low enough wattage I don't have to worry about burning her while trying to promote more branching.... once her lights go off, she will get a foliar spray of coconut water, aloe, ful power and pro tekt.

I'll be back later with an update on the Dominga cabinet ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. And here is the Dominga cabinet......
    October 23rd (7).JPG October 23rd (8).JPG
    They have really blown up in the last 3 days...even that twig in the front has almost doubled! I switched their timer to 12/12 to find out who stays and who goes

• Like Like x 1
  19. I swear the Dominga's grew another inch over night......
    October 24th (3).JPG October 24th (4).JPG
    ...... and all 3 are girls!

October 24th (5).JPG October 24th (8).JPG October 24th (10).JPG

Soooo who stays and who goes? I think its a no brainer that the twig in the front is a gonner........both of the back 2 have their merits but I am loving the one on the left really spreading out trying to hog up the whole pot to herself soooo the left one stays and the other 2 go

Setting up her scrog tomorrow :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. Worked on the Dominga pot today - took out the 2 smaller plants........
    October 25th (1).JPG October 25th (2).JPG
    .......and set the scrog net over her.......
    October 25th (3).JPG October 25th (4).JPG

To give an idea just how short and bushy she is, the net is sitting at 6" above her and had to pull a couple of her tops up to the screen lol

• Like Like x 1