1'st indoor soil grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Priest1129, Jan 15, 2010.

1. This may seem kinda ass-backwards to some :confused_2:, but I have already done indoor hydro grows before, and I'm looking for some advice on my first indoor soil grow. I have a few questions..

Should I use just soil, or a soil/vermiculite mix ?

My soil says it will sustain a plant for 9 months. Should I take that into consideration when determining a feeding schedule ?

What nutrients should I use ?

When should I start feeding it ?

How much should I give it ?

2. is this on budget? I wanted to keep all things to local places (home depot & lowes) so i picked up MG organic (5-10-5 i think) and it has been working well. you're choice on nutrients, have em ready and start feeding when you plants tell you. start at 1/4 strength and work up.

3. I like Soil, Vermiculite and/or perlite and worm castings.

You should not use that soil. If you are starting from seed it will burn them.

I like the Fox Farm line (Big Bloom and Grow Big), but they are pricey and hard to find sometimes. An all purpose plant food from the box store can get you through. Just be careful.

Around the second or third week. I wait for the cotyledon (the first set of round leaves) to die.

Follow the instructions for the specific fertilizer. Start at 1/4 strength the recommended dose and work your way up over a couple of feedings.

Good luck.

4. Thanks for the help guys..... :smoke:

5. Coco is a very nice additive to soil...at anywhere from a 25-50% ratio with your soil...And yeah definately dont use the soil...it will burn bad. And mess up Ph and cause many more problems.

6. Not sure if it makes a difference, but they're not seedlings. They're Cali Hash clones that have been in Oasis root cubes for 2 weeks or so.....

7. still dont use any soil that claims that...it means it chock full of nuts and you will have a hard time figuring out a feeding schedule. Thats a good strain. I have grown it under a 600 watt HPS using 50% perlite and 50% coco fibre with good results.

8. Cool, thanks. When I get new soil, does a 50% soil / 50% perlite mix sound good ?

And then just go with the Fox Farm Grow Big in a week or 2 ?

9. Yeah that would work...Like I said coco fibre is great, I think it has the most airation of any "soil" medium and you will definately see it in the health of your roots...and how quick the roots grow into it. As soon as I water it absorbs evenly and quickly and drains nice. With coco you do have to water a bit more often than with just soil but that is by no means a bad thing.

10. Awesome. :metal:

Thanks again....