1st grow..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cityofevil86, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Do you have a pic? Must be a fairly large fan? My fans about 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet and it doesnt move any of my lights. Either way yes the plant will still benefit from the light. As long as its not blowing it like a foot away.

If the plant looks to be doing fine with the wind on it now I would not worry about breakage or bending.

What else you adding to it? :)

2. its just a small fan, somewere between the size of a pedestal fan and a desktop fan.. ill get some pics for ya hen the lights are due on..
    well i know im gonna be adding ozone generator and some ona gel, im also thinkin about extra cfl's for side lighting, and some sort of humidifier..

3. heres some pics mate! i think this is day19 now..

Attached Files:

4. Looks squat and bushy but very healthy! :)

If the fan is small I would put it on high setting, just not directly onto the plants for the first week or so. Looks great so far!

5. cheers man, i was wondering why its bushy cos i would of thought it would stretch seeing as im using cfl's.. but apparently its just typical of the strain to be bushy.. what does "squat" mean? will this become a problem further on? and yeah dude i will switch that fan up after its been a week or so! the stem looks to be gettin fatter since using the fan! :)

6. squat is short!

Yeah the stems will get a little thicker but the main thing is they get BUFF! and actually firm.

Nah short plants arnt a problem, I wish I had that problem! My problem is my plants always outgrow the 4 feet I give them to grow in! Id rather have short than tall :)

*edit*
    Depending on the strain it wouldnt matter what you used for lights. A short plant with CFLs will just be shorter, a tall plant will CFLs usually is just more lanky and stretched out between its nodes. The HID lights get you that perfect in between, but also cost more and create a boatload of more heat to deal with.

7. cheers for the advice dude! +rep.. im sure ill be asking more questions over this first grow lol..

8. cityofevil86, I like what you got goin on with your grow so far, the plants look awesome man. I'm a noob too and will start a grow for the 1st time ever after the holidays and you've asked and figured out a lot of ??'s that I've had. I think I'm gonna tag along for the ride bro and see how those babies turn out. Hopefully I can learn a few things while I'm here lol

9. hi man, thanx! if your planning a grow soon the best thing to do is tag along on threads like these dude, thats what i did.. it doesnt stop the questions tho haha.. i think ive been pretty lucky with mine so far but i can take comfort in knowing theres people on here who can quickly diagnose any problems that come up along the way! thanks for looking in man!

10. yeah, dude I've been reading forums, researching, reading grow journals start to finish...lol i've been reading for about 2 months now. so excited to start my own, but everyday its like there are new ??'s that pop into my head...anyway man good luck and i'll be keeping an eye on the progress.

11. so this is day 19, she seems to be growing more everyday (which i guess is a good thing) shes almost the full width of that 3gal bucket.. i still aint fed any nutes and i have the fan directly on her,only turning it of when we sleep..

only really one concern.. when i water i dont seem to get any run off! maybes i aint using much water (less than a litre) and im watering every 3days..

Attached Files:

12. ps: i need some nute options for the flowering stage.. i dont think its gonna be needing any through the veg stage but i have baby bio that should do if it needs it.. just need some brand options so i can have a look around homebase and see what they have..

edit: homebase is a british garden store.. we dont have walmart etc..

13. are nutes even necessary? Im using potting soil with the pre added nutes (the white pieces)

14. the pre added nutes only last so long.. like the nutes pre added in my soil will only feed upto 5weeks..

have you got thru an entire grow without using any before like?

15. Well this is my first grow so this is why I was asking if nutes are necessary

16. maybes shoud have turned the fan off before taking pis but meh fuck it..

Attached Files:

17. #37 ChaoticCrux, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
    The time release nutes are ok. Not good or bad. Problems are they are time release :) You cant control how much or how little is being given, you just sprinkle the balls all over the soil and hope its working right. With liquid nutrients you know exactly how much your giving your plants and you can adjust accordingly. With time release you set it and cant do much to increase or decrease unless you add more time release or dig through your soil to remove them.

That being said, i use time release nutes, the miracle grow that everyone says is horrible. It works for me, I add in flowering liquid nutrients once it hits flower. The time release balls work for me through veg and I have never had a problem. (I do think you can get a better yield using liquid nutrients through veg and flower, but I am lazy, and time release works in veg for me)

If your not getting runoff your not watering enough. For my plants 4 litres of water goes in and stays in, no runoff. But if I add 5 probably half of the last one or more comes out the bottom. (Its about right) What I do is water normally, add 1 cup wait 2 minutes, add 1 cup wait and so on. Once you see it coming out the bottom you know how much to water next time to get the runoff which means youve soaked most if not all of the soil.

When you dont get runoff you arnt always getting the sides or the very bottom of the pot wet so the root system isnt as good. If theres no water, the roots wont go that way.

My first grow I used no nutes except what was in the potting soil I had. It worked out ok, my yield was small but then again it was my first grow using minimum of CFLs. I probably got enough for 20 bowls or so, potency was there, flavor was great and the smell (papaya) was amazing. Had I used nutrients I would of gotten a much better yield.
    Some plants are ok with no nutes they just dont produce as much. Some strains almost HAVE to have nutes or they will go deficient at some point during the flowering stage because of all the nutrients that strain needs.

Nutrients for flowering I would just do a forum search, I see bio bloom, fox farm, ashes, high P bat guano (if available), molasses and so on. (for flowering) I am using I think its Bio Bloom 1-0-6 and molasses for flowering plus my time release miracle grow balls. Its Bio something! It mostly depends if you want to go regular chemical nutrients or organic. One will cost more (organic) :) But that one also produces better imho. Basically for nutrients I just look for what the plant needs most for that stage and find a type that fits what I need. The NPK values.

Sorry if I rambled, I tried to answer all questions :p

*edit*
    another big thing, start your nutes off at 1/4th recommended strength or less! You could also go the route of just watering until you notice your plant is lacking in some nutrients, than look it up to diagnose and give it just the nutrients it needs.

In all honesty which alot of people will disagree with, I have had a plant flower, I did not harvest but I put it back into veg and then into flower again with no added nutrients other than the time release miracle grow. Its had no major problems and is doing fine. It mostly depends on what you want for your yield. The more money you put in, the more yield your going to harvest.

I cant wait for 2 weeks :) My current single plant is going to produce 2 to 4x as much as the last crop I had which was 3 plants!! Its my little holiday present to myself :)

18. thanks for that mate, i think your idea of waiting with the nutes until the plant shows signs of def then giving her what he needs is a great idea! unless i can find a great liquid nute that works really good for the flower stage.. i do want my yeild to be decent, just so it lasts me untill a new plant is on its way.. the thing with nutes is, as soon as i start adding them my ph is gonna fuck up aint it? thats why ive been wanting runoff, so i can check it before i start nutes.. i did eventually get some run off after adding 2litres of water lol but the nxt day the plant looked great!!

your little holiday present sounds awesome!!

19. also dude, im seing silver specs/dots on my leaves under a 30x microscope.. some leaf tips are wilting a little, and im seeing some yellowing pathces.. i thought it could be pests but i aint seen any on the underleafs.. bit worried but the plant looks quite healthy and new growth is coming in.. any ideas what this could be??

20. Can you get a picture? Silver specs could be from dust from the soil maybe?

Yellowing patches could be many things, hows the heat and all that? pictures would work best :)