1st grow, soil/light questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by RiDanKulous, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Alright, so I'm attempting to grow my first plant. I germinated 3 seeds a few days ago, and one of them just sprouted this morning. I ran to walmart in hopes of finding kellogg's patio plus soil but couldn't find it anywhere in my area, so I just but miracle grow organic.

I put the seed in the soil about a half inch to an inch down and covered it and put it in a solo red cup with 5 holes at the bottom. But when I put the seed in I couldn't get the the little white root to face down perfectly. I tried to move it around a bit with a pen but I was afraid I'd break it, so the root is facing mostly sideways. Is this really bad or will it fix itself. I also wasn't sure how much water I should put in the soil. I put in enough to make the soil feel most when u touch it, if that makes sense. So now the seed is in its cup covered with a plastic zip lock bag and in a closet. Which brings me to lighting..

What would you guys suggest for lighting. I wanna use CFL's but I get so confused with all the equivalents and what not, I'm only growing one plant how much would I need and what spectrum.

Also is miracle grow organic ok? It's all i could find at walmart and I'm gonna buy some fox farm ocean soil for when I transplant it or for the other seeds if this one doesn't turn out well.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to this and I've read all the stickies but I still got questions.
    thanks

2. aight this is the soil i got just a couple hours ago. I'm either gonna transplant my first plant into this or put a new germinated seed in this. I just want to get some feed back on this soil. It's called fafard soil, its got some good shit in it, I just don't know about the ph level. the guy at the garden place said it's most likely "balanced" but idk what that means.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Sounds like an OK soil to use man. When the seed with the root is put in the first, its best to have it down, but u cant put it all the way down, just do your best. Some seeds do a 360 under the dirt to sprout. So don't worry about it. Under about an inch of dirt, it will make its way out. One time i had one that didn't. So if it doesn't pop out in 5 days after its already had a nice root. Check to see if its new the surface, if it is, its fine. If its pointing the wrong way or something fix it. But generally is should be starting to head to the top. Don't baby the plant, let it grow out of the dirt itself. Also don't over water. Water once, then when the top of the soil drys out, you only have a little longer, wait till u dont see any wet under that, and then water. U will know whats right.

Lights...There are so many you can choose from. Depends what you are trying to get outa it. You want more of a blue spectrum for vegging, and a red spectrum for flowering. CFLS, Metal halide(MH), or floresenct are more blue spectrum and are recommended for vegging. MH lights being the best most efficient are most recommened for the vegging stages. Creating more nodes(flower spots), faster growth, and overall efficiency is what you get from a MH light. The best light for flowering is High pressure sodium or HPS lights. You can flower under every light i have mentioned here, but if flowering under anything but hps, you should expect a low fluffy yeild, but not too bad at all. Perhaps add some red spectrum using red LEDs u dunno, its ur call.

4. also, when those suckers pop outa the ground. Put a fan on them. Like i said don't baby them. It may seem like the fan is bending them alot of blowin them around heavily, but this is good. It strengthens the stem, a big stem leads to more nutrient uptake during flower(makes em bigger too).

5. Phew! Thats a relief...I wasn't sure myself about my little desk fan blowing through my little plants!

6. HPS is a good source of lighting for mj in any stage of its life. the professional mix that you got is not soil, hence the word "mix" . your gonna want to get something to feed your plants with. there are many resources on this fourm to choose your plant feed. right now im actually using ultimate pro-mix organic. its not 100% organic but its close, and im cool with that. your professional mix has everything mine has except for seaweed extract and shrimp shells which actually comes included in the pro-mix organic. every watering im only using h2o and grandmas mollasses and i know people will tell you not to do this but ill be using my pro-mix for 3 crops. the first two will be seedless grows and the third will be for seeds. the second use of the mix i will have to add 1 tps of lime to each gallon of soil along with 10% worm castings. the third grow will recive the same thing. i run 12/12 from seed with about 20 plants with LST under a 600w HPS in a earthbox and a mini homemade earthbox. i try my best to get three grows out of my mix before changing out. im an apartment grower and its difficult to get rid of your mix. i have to throw a blanket over my soil bed and take it for a ride. im going to eventually make my own mix so i dont have to get rid of it. but for now im gonna use what i have. i wouldnt use the MG mix. imo its just not good for mj. but that professional mix that you got wouldnt be bad with some kinda organic plant food. 1 tps of grandmas or black strap mollasses will help with a healthier grow. you'll be happy you used mollasses unsulphered. remember to leave the clorine evaporate out of your tap water before adding anykind of organic plant feed. clorine kills everything organic. take care and keep it green:D