1st grow/rubbermaid stealth growbox

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CholoBudz, Aug 19, 2009.

1. so I've decided to grow my own bud, just for smoking purposes. a few weeks ago i planted a seed and it is now currently growing under some CFLs in a makeshift grow setup. Today as i was browsing the forums i became intruiged by the rubbermaid stealth grow boxes people make. They look pretty easy to make, and i am a part time employee at my local hardware store so most supplies will be easy to get and cheap. i was hoping to fit my current plant and one additional plant in my grow box that will consist of 2 rubbermaid contiainers stacked on one another with the touching sides cut out and the 2 containers taped, glued, screwed, etc. together. i was thinking of using 3, 26 watt 5600k (daylight) CFls and 1, 26 watt 2700k (soft white) CFl on either side of the box for veg state and vice versa for flowering. i was also going to try and fit in 1 or 2, 26 watt 5600k (veg) 2700k (flowering) with reflectors on top. i would cut out a hole for a fan at the top and 2 holes for air intake at the bottom. ill have another small fan in the box for a nice cross breeze. I noticed that most of the rubbermaid grow boxes i saw were lined with mylar. how crutial is mylar. the reason i ask is because i can get most everything else at work. mylar is one thing we do not stock and i am not sure where to get it and i was wondering if i could do without. but if mylar is more available than i think i am willing to go shopping.

any and all feedback is welcome

have a good one

2. once i get some of the materials ill post some pictures

3. no feedback whatsoever?

4. just paint the inside flat white instead of mylar,

5. also for flowering you could prob get 42-60watt bulbs from your store which would be way better than those little 26watters

6. just started building my grow box. so far i have my rubbermaid bin. i decided to only use one instead of 2 stacked, and just either LST my plants or autoflower them. ive only done minor research on autoflowering. do you have to have special seeds to autoflower, like are the seeds genetically modified or something or is autoflowering simply putting a plant on a 12/12 cycle with 2700k bulbs straight from the seed. but back to the box. i lined my rubbermiad in the shitty mylar from an emergency blanket from walmart. then i zip-tied 2 power strips to the upper walls of the inside of the bin. on each power strip i intend to have 2 dayliight CFLs and 1 soft white CFL probably 20w bulbs. vice versa for flowering. i did a dry run with just the 2 soft whites in, because i havnt gotten the daylights yet, and that thing glows like a christmas tree. ill probably just throw a blanket over it. i still have to cut a hole for the fan, cords, and air intake. once i get a chance im going to take some pictures (probably monday)

7. is there anything i can use to cover the smell?

8. got some pictures for you guys.
    heres my plant.
    [​IMG]
    not exactly sure how old it is but it is currently growing under a different, makeshift, setup but i would guess its about a month old.

and here is my growbox half complete i have the lights and my shitty mylar. ill put up another pic when its complete with fans etc.
    [​IMG]

9. next time ill use thumbnails...but i was starting to wonder what would be better. keep my shitty mylar set-up (walmart emergency blanket gorilla glued to the inner walls and lid) or should i just take it down scrape off the glue and paint the inside walls flat white?

10. anybody? i need some input/verification or something. but today i transfered my plant to its new home, with fan and all.

11. Dude. Mylar is way better than flat white paint. Its a 97% reflective material and it bounces light so it shines on the plant from ALL directions instead of just vertically. the only thing better than mylar (supposedly) is fylon (i think, I might have spelled it wrong).

12. Bro, 97% is maximum, and flat white paint is 80%+ which isn't a lot less. The simplicity of painting is worth the loss of 17% reflectivity.

To say mylar is way better than flat white paint is an overstatement.

13. I AM DOING THA SAAAME GROW!!!! Ill hit you up with advise, and We can help each-other out!:smoking::wave:

Attached Files:

14. hey guys, the inside of my grow box is covered in the same emergency blanket mylar material. i sprayed a 3m product adhesive in the automotive section at walmart. its about $10 but its a big can. i cut my sides out to length and after i placed it on i smoothed it out with a cheap bondo spreader like a sqeeqe. turned out pro and i have 7 6500k cfls. bright as shit! use this method. cheap and easy.

smoke up