1st Grow Room Diagram any help would be great.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by pest1320, Jul 22, 2011.

1. So this is going to be my 1st hydro grow,

I will be doing a 12site ebb and grow bucket system 2 1/2gal Buckets.
    2 600w bulbs and 2 air cooled hoods (I don't know what kind, Brand or size yet 4" or 6" etc.
    So here is my idea nothing is set in stone except the Interior space,french door and window (which will be blacked out).
    I'm really concerned on Lighting, airflow and ventilation.
    Please any ideas would be great this is my first time doing this so i have just been researching the last couple of weeks on the design etc.

Here is a diagram i did so you could get a better idea and correct anything i have done wrong or forgot about.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance
    -J

2. i would add an inline fan before the carbon filter as well (if you exhaust the lights together)

3. #3 pest1320, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
    yes i planned on exhausting the fans together so 4" or 6" intake hole --> hood1--> hood2-->inline fan-->carbon filter-->Inline fan-->exhaust thru roof correct?

Should i have another exhaust fan dedicated for the whole room, exhausting every 5 minutes i remember reading i need to replace the air in the room every 5 minutes.

Would i be able to veg.12 plants too about 12"-16" on a 2X4 ebb and flow?
    with my setup and room size/height would that be a ideal size to start blooming?

Thanks -J

4. #4 FatBoy808, Jul 22, 2011
    Wow :eek: nice diagram I'll rep you just for that :D

If there's anything that would concern me it would be your 'low to ground intake port' Do you plan on using C02 enrichment? If you do, your gonna need a shit load of it to keep the ppm optimal since C02 is heavier than 02 so you'd just suck it all out. Helix has a good point, I'd say if it were just the carbon filter it'd be ok, but the hoods to... Ehhh, I'd go the safe route and add a booster fan, I'd put it before the first hood with an adjustable elbow like this http://www.progressive-growth.com/prodimages/ducting/duct_elbow.gif and angle it upwards. They're pretty cheap at home Depot. I hope this makes sense.

Peace out, Aloha.
    Fats

5. #5 pest1320, Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks fats and helix for fast replies,
    As for the Co2 i did not plan on it, i did research it a little but i figured i didn't want to get carried away (as i think i am already).
    I was actually thought i was going to have ducting from the "low intake port" all the way thru out roof.
    Is that not the right way?
    To be honest it would be cleaner and ideal (less air restriction) to have the intake port level with the hoods and ducting from intake port thru to exhaust (but i was thinking more of heat rising).
    I would much rather have it level with the hoods and place the booster fan like you say to force air thru both the hoods.
    Also i was thinking i can even have the exhaust run out to the left side of the window or continue str8 and slightly curve up and exhaust to the left of the A/C unit? but maybe the A/C might pull in some of that hot air.

If I do run ducting from intake thru hoods to exhaust i'm thinking i might not need a carbon filter cause the air is coming from outside just cooling the hoods?

6. would pushing air into a hood be very efficient? There would be quite a lot of turbulence imo unless they are cool tubes. Either way im sure it would help out

7. I think 6" would be the minimum for 2 600w, that's a lot of heat to pull out. The cooler you keep the lights, then your AC won't have to work so hard. Do you have a day/night thermostat?

I would. 7'x7'x13'=567 cu.ft. a 4" in-line pulls about 170cfm. So it would take over 3mins to completely exhaust the room, and if you do every 5mins you're looking at a 3/2 on/off cycle, I'd go with a 6" and do a 2/3 on/off cycle. BTW, C02 enrichment helps to create more 02. C02 makes a huge difference, I highly recommend it.

Yes.

Maybe. Do you know the strain you want to grow? When you begin your bloom cycle, in the first 2 to 4 weeks the plants can double or even triple in height, depending on the strain. Indicas, like Kush, don't stretch very much, and mature quickly. Sativas, like Haze, can stretch a lot in bloom, more than double, and take longer to mature. So a 12-16in. plants may end up 24-32in. Maybe more, maybe less :confused_2: you need to figure out how tall are your hoods, the height of your medium & containers, add them up, then add another 9-12 inches for what I call a heat buffer zone (the area between your lights & the tops of your plants) to keep your plants from getting heat stressed or burnt. Then subtract this number from your room height, and then you have what I call the grow zone.
    Here's an example:
    Hood: 12", Medium/Pots: 12", Heat Buffer Zone 12"
    12+12+12= 36"
    Grow Room Height: 7'=84"
    84-36= 48" (grow zone)

I hope this helps.
    Aloha, Fats.

8. Hmmm, that's a good point. Most "booster" fans don't put out very much cfm, they are usually used in applications when there's long runs of duct, or lots of bends. So rather than using a huge oversized fan people will use a "booster" fan to help out an appropriately sized fan. They serve the same purpose, nothing wrong with a huge fan, as long as it's moving enough air it's all good :D So yes there will be turbulence it the booster fan out flows the in-line fan behind the carbon filter, at least that's the way I see it :confused_2:

Aloha, Fats.

9. Man Thanks fats i really appreciate the help on this, as for the day/night thermostat i will have to research that also.
    As for Co2 maybe 2nd harvest.
    my funds will be pretty much maxed after ordering all parts in about 2-3 weeks.
    okay so i will have a room exhaust 6" and do a 2/3 on/off cycle should i have a cold air intake also?
    thanks for the grow zone info!
    does the intake if needed and the exhaust need to be placed in certain areas?
    as for the dual 600watters i was explaining my project to a buddy and he said i would need a 1000watter so i thought that 2 600's would have more even coverage, i do not want to burn my babies!!
    -j

10. This would be ideal, assuming you live in a cooler climate.

Usually, indoor garden temps are cooler than ambient air, unless you live in a very cold climate. So in other words, if you lived in like Arizona where it's really hot, it'd be better to to pull air in from the garden where it's ACed & climate controlled.

I wouldn't exhaust the hoods in the room, kinda defeats the purpose. Cooling the lights only to have the warm air pumped back into the room. If you've got a large AC unit it may work, but it wouldn't be efficient, also ACes use a lot of electric :eek: If you exhaust the warm air outside the less your AC will have to work.

This would be ideal if you live in a cold climate. BTW, you don't need a carbon filter for cooling the hoods, but it wouldn't hurt. They are mostly used for the dankness :D

I hope this helps.
    Aloha, Fats

11. okay so summer temps here 88-105 pretty hot. its 90-95 all this week!
    as for cooling hoods you think it is better to leave hood1 intake port open then duct thru hood2 and exhaust air out roof since the grow room will be cooler than outside temps.
    I dont need a intake in the room do i? just a exhaust cause the A/C ins the cold air intake correct?

12. You're welcome dude. The Day/Night thermostat allows you to set different temps for lights on & lights off. For example my lights-on(day) temp is 83*, which most people will say is a little high, but it works good for me, also I don't like the idea of my 5000BTU AC working overtime! :eek: My lights-off(night) temp is 78*. It isn't a necessity, but it makes a difference. I can't confirm this, but we should try our best to replicate a natural environment.

What do you mean by cold air intake?

I'd face the I/E in opposite directions, and if possible as far apart from eachother. I like the dual 600w, that's how I would do it, also, 600w have the most lumens per watt. I have a 400HPS, and I'm considering dual 250w. Same principle, more even coverage, it would also allow me to lower the lights a little since it's cooler, and less lumen diminishing because it's closer.

This should make for an interesting grow do you plan on making a journal here? What strains are you interested in?
    Aloha, Fats

13. I think you've got it buddy, sounds good to me. I'm not trying to dictate your grow though. Just sharing a few things I picked up in my experience. Peace out, and Aloha.
    Fats :wave:

14. thants exactly why i posted it here so i can get replies from experienced growers!
    Thanks a bunch!-J

15. Ill just throw out 2 suggestions.

1)

Dont chase your tail by getting the 4" hoods, and then having to upgrade later.
    Get the 6" hoods, with matching 6" fan.

2)

Use your fan/filter and hoods like this:

FILTER-->Hood---->Hood---->FAN---->Outside growroom

:wave:

16. If your going to do a sealed room, disregard.

:)

17. Hey Brudda Russy :wave: MMMM wise words indeed :D Hey Pest, you should check out Russys grow, it's AMAZING!!! *said in large God like voice* :laughing: Peace out Russy, Aloha.
    Fats.

18. i feel like short circuit right now "need more input" IIIInput! haha!
    Thanks russy i was just checking out your grow.
    Thanks guys for all the feedback i really do appreciate it!

19. That used to be my favorite movie as a kid :D Haha! Nerd.
    Aloha, Fats.