1st grow, need some advice.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by lostfedexman, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Hey all. Ok so I've started my 1st grow about a week ago. First I will give you as much info as possible about my set up. I germinated the seed and planted it in Miracle-Gro soil. I know this soil isn't recommended but it's all I had. The soils NPK value is as fallows (.21%, .07%, .14%) And I have not fed any nutrients, just plain ole tap water. Anyways, I'm growing in a 55gal fish tank that is in my closet. I've painted the sides of the fish tank white and covered half the top (the half where I'm growing) with mylar. I've got 2 6500k, 1600 lum CFL's, 1 2700K, 2600 lum CFL, and a 5000K, 900 lum Floro tube in there at the moment. The light's are about 3-4 inches away from the plant, and on a 24/0 cycle. I also have a LARGE fan blowing into the fish tank for a couple hours a day when I get home from work.

Now for my question.
    The plant has been sprouted for just about a week now, 5-6 days. Not completely sure. Anyways, one of the "TRUE" leaves (not the cotyledons) has turned brownish/yellowish on just the first cm of the tip. I'm not sure what this is from, and I'm sure that it can't be a good thing. I've tried looking around to see if I could figure out what this is without having to create a thread, but haven't found anything having to do with this on a sprout of about a week old. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Hope to hear from you soon!

2. Hey, Im going to guess it's the MG soil. It would help with pics..

I used MG on a few of my plants, I ended up getting bugs and Nute burn.. Ah! Just a pain.. But They pulled through fine.. just a few burnt leaves..

(i would transplant them in to a organic soil or something with out newts. Maybe Foxfarm. before they get to big. That should fix alot of upcoming issues.)

Peace.
    :smoking:

3. Yeah. That's called nute burn. I had the same thing happen to me when I tried growing in MG soil. Marijuana doesn't need nutes until about 3 weeks in. Don't worry about it though. It will go away by itself once the plant gets big enough to actually need the nutrients.

4. Sweet thanks man! I had a feeling that it was the soil. From what I've read it sounded/looked like nute burn... But I wasn't sure if just the Nutes in the soil could do that. When transplanting, do I keep all of the soil that she's already planted in (a solo cup) and just put that into a different pot with different soil? Or am I supposed to get rid of most of the current soil? (does that make sense?) And if that's the case, how the hell do I do that without hurting the plant? Much appreciated advice! And SUPER quick at that! I LOVE this site! Thanks guys! I will try to take and post some pix when I get home from work.

5. use tap water to rinse the roots, GENTLY , that will remove all the excess soil and newts.

6. Sorry man, I'm a noob and just started this. What exactly do you mean by (rinse the roots)? I know what you mean, I just have no clue as to how I should go about doing it... Wouldn't that mean over watering the plant which could be really harmful to it? Sorry for all the Q's, I am thankful for the help tho!

7. #7 cloner_357, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
    When you pull the plants out of there growing pot now, Try and tap all the soil out, then run the roots under some soft running tap water, then replant and you should be good to go, No it wont flood the plant, The plant doesnt have time to drink the water up while your rinsing it.

as long as you don't let the plant soak or sit in the water. your good :)

Peace :)
    :smoking:

How-To:
    Put the plant between your Fingers to hold the base of it, flip it upside down to remove the growing pot.

Now gently remove the excess soil(tap it gently rub it slightly with your fingers).
    -That should be good enough But if you want to remove ALL the soil rinse it under the tap to clean the rest off.(optional)

You just want to remove most of the MG soil if possible.

8. Hey thanks! Ok, so I've taken some pix, they're not good pictures at all, sorry about that, but they're all I can get.

Attached Files:

9. Hmm. . . Also growing in MG soil : (

Had a little bit of browning on one of the first true leaves, but not to the extent it looks like on your plant. I hope I don't have a similar problem coming up.

If the MG soil has enough nutrients to burn seedlings, does anyone know how long I should wait before feeding my plants in MG soil? Or should I feed them at all?

10. DAMN YOU MG! I haven't changed the soil that she is in yet. I have NO money and can't buy any, but I have got some from a friend, probably just enough to re-plant this sprout. Can I still save this plant? And is it even old enough to be able to completely change the soil without killing it from the stress? Thanks for your replies guys, see if I ever use MG soil again... NO!