(1st Grow) 5G Hempy Buckets MARS 144 LED IKEA Closet [BBHz x Pie?]

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by FuckYouEvilchild0323, May 13, 2016.

1. Hey everybody, 1st Grow ever!

Setup is:
    Ikea Closet
    • RTek Insulation
    • ~72'' H x 36'' W x 24'' D
    • (6) 1/4'' eyebolts
    Venting
    • 6'' intake 240CFM fan
    • 6'' passive exhaust
    Light
    Nutrients
    • General Hydroponics
      • FloraMicro
      • FloraGro
      • FloraBloom
    I'd appreciate all constructive criticism! Keep the negative shit to yourself.
    Probably not the best thing ya'll have seen, but I'm hoping to get a small sized harvest. Nothing insane, and I wouldn't feel bad just turning it into bubble if the bud wasn't was good as expected.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. D2 of germination in rockwool.

Attached Files:

3. D5 Germ. I turned on the lights after I flipped 2 seeds to point up on D4.
    Lights on 18/6
    Missed a day in the log, but that's because I was messing with the light and timer. pH was really nice at around 5.9/6.0.
    Humidity has been consistently high in the dome, spraying it every 12 hours at air exchanges.

Reduced water level now to about a 1/4'' above the bottom. Gonna watch the humidity closely now, kinda afraid I over watered these guys :sad:.

Disappointed I'm not seeing anything sprout yet, but I guess it hasn't even been a week of stable pH, and water level yet.

See ya in a few days.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kinda what I expected. The wool I was given was probably old or at the least not sterile causing my pH to skyrocket. Last checked after 12 hours went from 5.9 to 7.9. I got some new wool, and threw some of my Sweet Tooth x Pie seeds into them with some 5.5 pHd tap water I've been airing. Everything is back under the light, and some fresh air and mist.

I did transfer some of the BBHz seeds into the new wool with some tweezers, but I doubt they would retake. Most of them had tails on them, some definitely longer than others.

All in now I've used 15 seeds that I was given, and had 3 break ground and die while I was with my GF in the ICU a week back.
    10 still in the dome.

Great learning experience so far, glad I'm making the rookie mistakes early.

Attached Files:

5. 2 of my little girls broke ground the other day! I was so excited! They are looking strong at this point. I had gotten some GH rapid rooter becuase I was growing impatient and within 24 hours, was greeted with these beauties.

20160520_130205.jpg

I wanted to have at least 3 seedlings in the 6 pot DWC, but it didn't look like luck was on my side after another 24 hours, until I found these guys that had gone way too deep somehow, or were upside down. 20160521_193539.jpg 20160521_193554.jpg

6. Threw those 2 into the bubble buckets with max air 45L for the (2)
    5gal buckets now.

Keeping the water level just below the nets for now, the really stalky one had some roots poking out the bottom I hope the squirt makes it too. 20160521_193348.jpg 20160521_193356.jpg 20160521_193402.jpg

7. These poor babies weren't getting the light they needed...Both of them told me from day 1 when they started pointing towards eachother...

Sigh...
    Got a Mars144 5W that barely fits in there. I hope it helps my girls out.
    20160523_222135.jpg
    20160523_222149.jpg

8. Heard some rumors about having to use CalMag with LED lights for some reason, makes sense why I didn't get sprouts until I added RR.

9. After about 5 hours I can visibly tell that the "strong one" is straightening out, and will be just fine at this point. I would consider removing the dome, but the little one might need it still. Haven't seen any growth/stretching at all since the transplant. Maybe I killed her?

10. Ended up ditching the DWC all together. Hempy buckets are probably going to be the way from here on out.

Made 2 5 Gal Hempys drilled 2.5" from the bottom, and filled with hydroton. Topped with straight Coco, because I'm trying to only feed once every 2 days.

I also like the 14" tall drainage catch, my shop vac fits right in there, and I can easily do 10% runoffs into the bucket and not have to worry about spilling.

Started full strength after the transplant, and they both showed a set of second leaves within 12 hours.

My stumpy girl had a big root ball in the rockwool, but the left one had the 6" tap root. It looked CRAZY!

Getting 2 clones of some Maui next week, and ill pop them into some 3.5 Gal Hempys so they can catch up quicker. (I hope)

Anybody want to comment on the coloring of my leaves?
    After my research I think it was Cal-Mag Def. So I started adding Epsom salt to my feeding today.

Attached Files:

11. Oh, and doing Lucas formula. 6-9 + Epsom salt.

Can't fuck up something so simple, RIGHT? I hope...

Shout out to FullMelt for the advice so far.

12. How'd you like that galaxy hydro 300watt ? Thinking about buying one or a homdox 300watt

• Like Like x 1
  13. It needs a reflector of some sort to divert the light down. (Maybe a foil disposable dish or something)

It's actual wattage was only about 110w/~1 Ampere. Way too small for my space, causing my plants to reach for the middle of the closet significantly, if you look at some pics I posted.

I upgraded to the Mars 144 and instantly saw amazing improvement in growth.

In my opinion, oversize your LED for the space. The Mars 144 recommends 3x4 grow closet. Mine is about 2.5x3.5.

I might use the 300w galaxy for a veg room for my clones in a closet half that size, but again I don't know if It will be strong enough

14. I think most people supplement their 300w LED with CFLs or another source.

15. Wonder how high led would have to be where you didn't need to add cfls. I'm only growing one auto with a wimpy 45watt(so they say)led panel and 4 cfls I'm a super cramped box. I'd say it's 3 square feet maybe 3.5 cubic feet beginning to wonder if led I have is doin anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. I did I had 2 26 WATT cfls built on the wall of my closet supplementing my 300 watt sunspect led in 1 dwc bucket I ended ditching that and building a area and buying Mars 2 1600 watt led true watts is 735 with individual dwc buckets the way I weighed it up was if you spend months of time and money growing it so you might aswell have the area to let them thrive.

Sus my journal I have fucked up a few times but its all documented and what I am doing now as my seed company fucked me over and sent my seed order in reverse with no labels (should of been 5 auto LSD 10 THC snow I got the reverse and only figured out after buds starting growing on the wrong plants)

Sent from my takee 1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. I don't think its a matter of height to be honest. I tried quite a few height options and didn't get the best results from my propagation tray. 18"-24" wasn't close enough to raise humidity enough to pull the moisture out of the soaked cubes.

Personally thinking anything under 300w might be a waste of money. I see a lot of people doing really well with the larger ones, specifically the Mars 900, and the Mars II series. Best bang for your buck is going to be the reflector series as long as you can manage the heat.

I'm still having some issues with that ATM, my little 240 cfm can barely keep up.

18. No labels sounds rough. I'm just doing one auto northern lights right now first time so not sure what and when to look for but it seems to be taking forever approaching day 60 and expected to be about done but don't think it's close at all unless it's just a pissant grow

19. Like the cabinet. I just have no space. I'm growing in a super cramped mini fridge in a three gal pot day 58 from seed Wanted to grow some reg seed next but autos seem way easier light schedule wise. Started 24/0 then 20/4 went 18/6 as dark seemed to do something as she's always smellier (pardon me ...more fragrant ) after a dark period but wondering if I should go back to 24/0 or at least leave little led on during "dark" time. She is tied down majorly to the edge of the pot to keep height down and tried to tuck down leaves around bud sights to maximize light seems like enough light for what it is and how close the lights are but buds small. I'm not even sure what to expect I guess I'd be real happy with 20 grams ,I'll wait and see I got some dynagrow bloom and add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water but doesn't seem to be doing anything. Tried a tablespoon per gal of a molasses as well Guess I should be glad it's staying a decent green
    Yeah 300 watt LEDs were $100 on Amazon I may see what $200 will get me

20. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]